Drum corps conspiracies...

It was not a DCI show - it happened at the DCM division I prelims in 2000. Don't trust your memory. (I didn't trust mine either - had to look up the year. :bigsmile: )

Ah...no prob. I guess I was remembering the anti-DCI ruckus in RAMD over the issue. Now that I know (again :fight: ) that it was not a DCI show, I wonder even more why the hubbub. Oh, well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain that "knowing the neighborhood" is still in use, but perhaps not so blatantly as writing it down. I don't see a problem with having a general idea of where a corps is in a current season after a few weeks. If the "how and what of this single performance" is reflected in the current sheets enough, "knowing the neighborhood" won't really hurt. I think it could also lend itself to more instances of "wow, this corps deserves to move into a new neighborhood tonight based on what I saw." (but maybe I'm just a rose-colored glasses kind of optimist at the moment.)

Oh, I do agree on the general concept, which was not clear in my post. The need to write it down at a corps show where there are far fewer units than a WGI show is what I disagree with, conceptually. Getting a general idea of ther 'neighborhood' is not all that bad, as you state so well. IMO it did not deserve the "hang the guy from the highest tree" reaction that happened in RAMD.

I heard that the Masons and the Renegades are plotting to form Drum Corps of the New World Order (DCNWO) which is a new circuit that will eventually rule all drum corps. The number 7 is a symbol of their power and intentions.

That was NOT to be made public until after the takeover!

I asked you never to speak of my theory about Elvis controlling UFOs through mind control.

Its no coincidence that Elvis' fake death occurred during DCI prelims in 1977 - no other event would have been enough of a distraction to throw the media hounds off of Elvis' rocket taking off for Mars so he could join batboy there. And he took the Muchacho's '75 prelim score sheet with him.

Its no coincidence that Elvis' fake death occurred during DCI prelims in 1977 - no other event would have been enough of a distraction to throw the media hounds off of Elvis' rocket taking off for Mars so he could join batboy there. And he took the Muchacho's '75 prelim score sheet with him.

Do NOT answer your door, especially if you look out and see no one there.

That would also be the year that Muchachos were on fire until the Championships...hmmmm Troopers would have been out and also Cavaliers went from 11th in prelims to 8th in finals. Cavaliers and Kilties moved up ahead of Royal Crusaders. Wasn't Cavies the corps that turned in Muchachos?

I have what I think is Muchachos at Nationals on mp3...and they were still on fire at prelims. Marrone.

what about the infamous Knights staff member in 1983 that punched a judge and then their score mysteriously started dropping so instead of sitting in 9th place they were now around 15th and out of finals at the end of the season.

what about the infamous Knights staff member in 1983 that punched a judge and then their score mysteriously started dropping so instead of sitting in 9th place they were now around 15th and out of finals at the end of the season.

Apparently, that happened to the Railmen in 1990 after Montreal.

At the Montreal show, they tied the Colts -- significant because the Railmen had never been able to get within shooting distance of the Colts before.

The story is...

The Colts director/show coordinator/whoever gathered up all the judges at critique and ripped into them for tying Colts with a "piddly little Class A corps".

Two nights later, at the next meeting between the two corps, the Colts suddenly had a multi-point spread over the Railmen (something over four points, but I don't remember for sure).

So, the Railmen's caption head decided that, if yelling at the judges worked for the Colts, it should surely work for him. He got the judges at that show together and accosted them the same way, wondering where the big point spread had come from.

What he didn't count on was that the judging panel was mostly different (all but one or two were different than in Montreal), and many of them were higher-ups in the judging ranks, including some that were to be at Finals.

For the rest of the season, and despite the expected cleaning and performance improvements, the Railmen's score hardly budged. They were slotted into Class A prelims in 7th, which would have kept them one spot out of finals if not for a late entry -- a corps from Japan -- whose presence skewed the numbers enough that DCI had to admit 7 A corps and 5 A-60 corps into A-A60 Finals. Then, they scored just below the cutoff from continuing to Open Prelims, but Pioneer gave up their prelims spot to let Railmen perform once more.

Edited by Leland