Poll: Does show design affect recruitment?

Does show design affect recruitment?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Does show design affect recruitment?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say yes...not so much in show design, tho....most members don't look at show design so much as they may look at the music itself.

When En Garde ran it's open house last year we DID have a good turnout....but there were some "ick" looks when we revealed the music...and those same people did not come back.

Someone who has been on staff and has been exposed to overall show design might be more likely to examine the issue...someone who's in their first few years of marching probably won't.

I'd see it affecting corps with established identities. You don't go to cabs to play Irish music, and you most definitely wouldn't go if you didn't like latin music.

I'd see it affecting corps with established identities. You don't go to cabs to play Irish music, and you most definitely wouldn't go if you didn't like latin music.

A very good point....but what abot a corps without a long-term identity....let's say Star back in the first few years when they changed styles every year (never mind that they pulled it off better than anyone)

If I were to accept this viewpoint, how do you know when it's time to make a change to a drum corps with an established identity? How do you do it?

In terms of "What if corps A decides to establish an identity related to a particular kind of music," I imagine that'd be something where you take the choice to the members and gauge their interest. It'd be the best way to feel out the idea and move forward with minimal personnel losses IMO.

Yes it does.. To most people. Even some kids in our high school marching band back in the day actually pulled themselves out of the music program all together because they didn't like the program we were playing. Kids can be moronic..

No you wouldn't go to cabs for Irish music.... LOL Plus I play enough of that as it is... ROFLMAO.. Reilly and Irish American SB...

When I come to a new group.. Look at my Sig... I've been around.. I've gone to a few open houses in my day. If I don't like the attitudes of the people there I just won't go back. The program isn't really that important to me anymore. If the place is a fun, productive, friendly, and challenging environment that's what I'm looking for. The rest is just notes on the page..

Todd You are really lucky to have such a tight knit group with the Renegades. You guys are really awesome you treated me like a veteran member, Above and beyond my wildest expectations. It was an honor to be allowed to help you guys out this past weekend. You guys really rekindled the drum corps back into me. I came home with a reformed love of the activity.

Edited by sonofjabba

A very good point....but what abot a corps without a long-term identity....let's say Star back in the first few years when they changed styles every year (never mind that they pulled it off better than anyone)

In that case, I would think that it would entirely depend on when the program is announced. If you know beforehand what a group is playing, and all other things are essentially equal, that'd probably be the deciding factor for a person looking for a place to march. If a corps takes a little bit to announce their program (say after open house or after a few rehearsals), there might be other considerations that would affect a person's decision more so than show design (friends made, rehearsal environment, etc) - in that case I would think that the show design would be a "last straw" kind-of thing for a leaving member or vet.