Tenor Player...

Biggie

50th anniversary is next season. You should be back for that one!

Not that I am speaking for Gord but my under standing is he will be marching this up coming year but him at 39 (God Bless Gord) and I am planning on marching with him and I will be a young 34.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny topic b/c I had been thinking about tenor players and longevity. I marched quints in GBV (and other tenor stuff in college and HS) at 118lbs and that killed my back. I have a herniated disc and with the wonderful health insurance I have, I got some physical therapy awhile back that seemed to only make it worse. The best is when the pain shoots from the upper back down through the butt and into the leg. :) So I'm retired from drum corps and tenors in particular. I do have a set of quints to hack on, but can only wear them about ten minutes max-with a back brace. Now I marched with the small tenors-with the trend going back toward larger shell sizes, I wonder how the folks marching now will be doing in 20 years?

I can relate. I played bass triples (14", 16", 18" x 12") in high school.

However, I don't want to admit how long ago that was. :thumbup:

I was a tenor player with the Bridgemen back in the day and so when the alumni corps formed i naturally went back to them......MAN the years were NOT kind to my back lol thank goodness we only did a parade and a stand still that first year. The next year I went to bass where I still am and will stay as long as i can... Our quint players arent spring chickens and i give them all the credit in the world for carrying those beasts.

and kudos goes out to all other tenor players who are not well lets just say 21 anymore...... We must love drumcorps huh guys LOL

I was wondering what is the oldest tenor player who just competed in DCA Prelims “A” or Open class.

I am throwing Gord from Grennies in the hat at 38. Anyone near that or can bet that?

Didn't the DCA Champion snare duo of Fontana and Murray march quads with Skyliners Alumni a few years ago? I think both of 'em are over 50. (Fontana might be closer to 60.) Of course, back then the corps didn't to any drill, much less the modern drill of today's competition corps, but just hooking up those quads and carrying them around for a bit is not easy.

Joe (Fontana) and Jack (Murray) did indeed play quads for at least part of their show in past years. I couldn't tell you their exact ages, but yes, let's just say they are 'well over 40!'

Jack Stein, who play tenors for the Sky Alumni is also 'up there' in years, probably close to Joe and Jack.

I know this is about tenors, but look around all the Alumni drumlines, and you will see plenty of older members who still strap on drums of all types. I know it's not the same as marching a competitive field show, but you still have to give all these guys credit for carrying and playing in field shows and parades, whether it be a snare, tenor or bass drum.

And truth be told, when you put on the uniform and get out in front of the crowd, you really forget the aches and pains until the show is over!