Save CA Drumcorps

I'm very much in the minority on this, but I'm so over this whole thing. If this passes (which I have a feeling it will) suck it up and find new sources of funding. I don't have intimate knowledge of the funding mechanisms out there, but it seems historically that bingo has proved an unfair advantage over the years.

I see a little equalizing of the field and a wake up call to what the rest of the country has to do as a wake up call.

Easy enough words coming from a veteran of an East Coast corps.................who's touring expenses are a pathetic joke compared not only to the nearly insurmountable expense of being a full time touring corps from California, but to the expense of maintaining the numerous youth programs that both the Blue Devils and the Vanguard offer their communities at a bare minimum of expense.

I've no doubt that the World Class corps of the Blue Devils and the Vanguard will march on. Must they do so at the death of any and all other programs they offer to their communities?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated, Boo ... Let me add one more thought.

I'd add that, while this is a drum corps forum and we have been largely talking about SB1369 in the context of how it will hurt drum corps. If signed into law, will damage a whole spectrum of Charities, not only drum corps. Everything from after school programs for kids to veterans programs.

SB 1369 is not only just bad for drum corps, it's bad for California.

:w00t::w00t::cool::w00t::tongue::cool::smile:

Why would the Cal corps go under. plenty of alumni / supporter out there.

Yeah....................but who's going to come out guns blazing to save the Blue Devils "C" corps, one of the baton twirling corps, or the Diablo Youth Symphony?

Or the Vanguard's Children's Adventures in Movement or the Groove School of Percussion?

Edited by ContraRich77

Easy enough words coming from a veteran of an East Coast corps.................who's touring expenses are a pathetic joke compared not only to the nearly insurmountable expense of being a full time touring corps from California, but to the expense of maintaining the numerous youth programs that both the Blue Devils and the Vanguard offer their communities at a bare minimum of expense.

I've no doubt that the World Class corps of the Blue Devils and the Vanguard will march on. Must they do so at the death of any and all other programs they offer to their communities?

Bravo! I could not have said it better!

My corps does have a major type of fundraiser that it does, and were it to go away, it would definitely hurt. However, you would never hear propaganda like this to try and save it. They would work together and find alternate sources of funding that were not subject to these sort of laws, ones that would be more stable, if not as lucrative. This has actually happened to us several times, and I'm beyond proud of the way that the BoD handled the situations, without driving us into a plethora of debt.

A cry to say saving drum corps screams of unnecssary hyperbole. Drum corps would go on, albeit not at the same level for a time. If they do fold for some odd reason and have to take a year or two off, I would not shed a tear due to a lack of planning.

The key to it all is diversification. I've not seen a plan from any of these groups that emphasizes that.

BTW Mike, your post speaks of typical liberal BS. This country was NOT founded on the notion that "America is built on striving to be the best, on the notion that anyone can achieve greatness. It is not based on making some less great so others can be equally great in comparison." America was founded by a group of elitists that wanted to be rid of tyranical overtaxation without a voice from the Crown (hrm...not unlike the current US Government....)

I'm not hard hearted, I'm just a conservative who believes in planning and not in government hand outs.

I think you said it best. "Your corps" As in singular, solitary, one. Or to put it simply, your ONLY group. Not a B and C corps. Not a baton twirling corps. Just your one solitary corps. Good luck with that.

And speaking as a conservative myself, all I can say is "Wow! Just wow!" :cool:

Edited by skajerk

I sent an e-mail to the above address and received back the following. Does anyone know why? Has anyone else had this problem?

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<governor@governor.ca.gov>

----- Transcript of session follows -----

<governor@governor.ca.gov>... Deferred: Connection timed out with govmail2.ca.gov.

Message could not be delivered for 3 hours

Message will be deleted from queue

Final-Recipient: RFC822; governor@governor.ca.gov

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: DNS; govmail2.ca.gov

Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 03:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

Since that isn't working, you can E-MAIL THE GOVERNOR directly on his WEBSITE.

Since that isn't working, you can E-MAIL THE GOVERNOR directly on his WEBSITE.

Thank you for this valuable info.

An advantage to doing so on this website is that one can check off a "Con" or "Pro" circle.

Text of e-mail. (E-mails are best kept brief and succinct. I have no allusions about the Governor actually seeing it, but hopefully if enough of us do so, someone on his staff will notice.)

Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger

Governor of California

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

This is a brief e-mail to express my concern about the possible passage of Senate Bill 1369, the remote calling bingo bill that would severely affect California drum and bugle corps as well as other charitable organizations in the state.

As the Staff Writer for Drum Corps International, I've had the pleasure of witnessing the remarkable offerings of California drum and bugle corps. These organization depend on bingo in order to raise the necessary funds to travel the great distances required to participate in the Drum Corps International competitive tour circuit. These fine organizations have long brought honor to the State of California, and not just due to winning more Drum Corps International championships than corps from all other states combined.

The corps are great messengers of what comes out of California through their additional community and youth programs. Such programs would be greatly curtailed if SB 1369 were to be implemented.

I thank you for any consideration you can give to this bill in order to prevent the damage that could result to the drum and bugle corps that bring so much pride to California.

Sincerely,

Name and address

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or even if it would be feasable, but wouldn't it be possible for a corps to move their bingo operation OUT of state and then transfer the money back to the orginization? In other words you basically tell the state to kiss off. Just a thought.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or even if it would be feasable, but wouldn't it be possible for a corps to move their bingo operation OUT of state and then transfer the money back to the orginization? In other words you basically tell the state to kiss off. Just a thought.

Not trying to knock your idea outright but who would volunteer to work it?