Save CA Drumcorps

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done and done.

Oh, I originally missed the part where you have an internet petition.

Internet petitions are absolutely worthless. Nobody important cares about who signs an internet petition and the only thing they are good for is making people feel like they are making a difference without actually having to do anything. It's just slacktivism*.

I could go on but I'll just post this link instead http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

* Slacktivism is the search for the ultimate feel-good that derives from having come to society's rescue without actually getting one's hands dirty, volunteering any of one's time, or opening one's wallet. It's slacktivism that prompts us to forward appeals for business cards on behalf of a dying child intent upon having his name recorded in the Guinness World Book of Records or exhortations to others to continue circulating a particular e-mail because some big company has supposedly promised that every forward will generate monies for the care of a languishing tot. Likewise, it's slacktivism that prompts us to want to join a boycott of designated gas companies or eschew buying gasoline on a particular day rather than reduce our personal consumption of fossil fuels by driving less and taking the bus more often. Slacktivism comes in many forms, but its defining characteristic is its central theme of doing good with little or no effort on the part of the person inspired to participate, through the mechanisms of forwarding, exhorting, collecting, or e-signing.

I'm very much in the minority on this, but I'm so over this whole thing. If this passes (which I have a feeling it will) suck it up and find new sources of funding. I don't have intimate knowledge of the funding mechanisms out there, but it seems historically that bingo has proved an unfair advantage over the years.

I see a little equalizing of the field and a wake up call to what the rest of the country has to do as a wake up call.

This screams "the sky is falling" to me. I haven't looked into the issue, but I can't for the life of me imagine what could possibly be so bad that drum corps could cease to exist in California. Just seems like scare tactics to me. I voted for Malagueña.

...Really? Oh, Hrothy...

I'm very much in the minority on this, but I'm so over this whole thing. If this passes (which I have a feeling it will) suck it up and find new sources of funding. I don't have intimate knowledge of the funding mechanisms out there, but it seems historically that bingo has proved an unfair advantage over the years.

I see a little equalizing of the field and a wake up call to what the rest of the country has to do as a wake up call.

Thank you.

There is a simple fact of life that pretty much applies to everything. One never makes everyone else better by pulling down those on top instead of lifting up those underneath.

Some want parity, unless they someday become the ones on top.

America is built on striving to be the best, on the notion that anyone can achieve greatness. It is not based on making some less great so others can be equally great in comparison.

Just because some corps found a way to finance themselves effectively according to the tools they had to work with doesn't mean they should face disdain because they found success in doing so. What's "unfair" about working hard to make what one has available work for them?

If you feel California corps need to be taught a lesson for whatever reason, would you feel the same way if your favorite corps was told they couldn't raise money as they had for many years...especially if it was caused by other forces seeking to grab additional market share so they could keep everything to themselves?

I'm at a loss to explain why one would feel that way.

There is a simple fact of life that pretty much applies to everything. One never makes everyone else better by pulling down those on top instead of lifting up those underneath.

Some want parity, unless they someday become the ones on top.

America is built on striving to be the best, on the notion that anyone can achieve greatness. It is not based on making some less great so others can be equally great in comparison.

Just because some corps found a way to finance themselves effectively according to the tools they had to work with doesn't mean they should face disdain because they found success in doing so. What's "unfair" about working hard to make what one has available work for them?

If you feel California corps need to be taught a lesson for whatever reason, would you feel the same way if your favorite corps was told they couldn't raise money as they had for many years...especially if it was caused by other forces seeking to grab additional market share so they could keep everything to themselves?

I'm at a loss to explain why one would feel that way.

Well stated, Boo ... Let me add one more thought.

I'd add that, while this is a drum corps forum and we have been largely talking about SB1369 in the context of how it will hurt drum corps. If signed into law, will damage a whole spectrum of Charities, not only drum corps. Everything from after school programs for kids to veterans programs.

SB 1369 is not only just bad for drum corps, it's bad for California.

Edited by DCIHasBeen