The Bill Cook Story: Ready, Fire, Aim!

If you are in the medicine, the law, philosophy, religion, politics, what have you and are interested in a great life story . . .

This book is not only well written. BUT IT IS A MUST READ

There were times that I laughed, got aggravated, was surprised, was enlightened, . . . but most of all . . . It is a story of one man, his remarkable wife, Gayle, and unpretentious son, who has maintained an even greater wit which has been polished since I marched with him.

I must reiterate. It is a must read. I have always respected Bill Cook. Never met him, but knew him through "surrogates."

After over 20 plus years since I have aged out I respect him even more (though how he waited minutes until his son aged out to grab and relentlessly abscond with the spark plug of a "Mom and Pop" drum corps by flashing his bucks, I nevertheless, respect what he sought out to do (even though the book does not really elaborate on this point.) HE is a FRIEND of drum corps. Period.

Having, and continuing to, raise a family and have reached that period in life I see where he has come from and why he did what he did when he ventured into an active role in drum corps and how we (shamefully) did literally push him and Mason from Drum Corp, though they had even bigger dreams, [which may have been stalled for a while had we not ridiculed what Star had attempted and did accomplish.]

Should he be a man that is emulated? Should others do what he has done to catapult drum corps to another dimension? That is not for me to answer--but by reading the book it will capture you from book end to book end. After reading it it will make you think what you can do . . for yourself, your family, your communty . . the world.

Michael, thanks for giving me the heads up on this treasure.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael, thanks for giving me the heads up on this treasure.

You're most welcome.

The biggest problem with reading the book is once you get into it, it kind of gets in the way of other things; like eating, working and sleeping.

Does it tell how Star of Indiana was first called "The Hoosier Assembly" before they decided to change their name?

No, it doesn't. I've never heard that one.

Sort of how like Spirit of Atlanta's first promotional literature identified the corps as "Concours"?

No eating or sleeping eh? hmm Are they going to write 6 sequels and include little boy wizards or teenage vampires? :inlove:

Re: "Hoosier Assembly"

No, it doesn't. I've never heard that one.

Sort of how like Spirit of Atlanta's first promotional literature identified the corps as "Concours"?

Yeah, actually that's how they incorporated it ... That was the name Star filed their 501( c ) 3 paperwork as well.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Re: "Hoosier Assembly"

Yeah, actually that's how they incorporated it ... That was the name Star filed their 501( c ) 3 paperwork as well.

Now I vaguely remember that. But it wasn't until years after the corps' founding that I first heard that.