To Our Drum Corps Brethren On The Gulf Coast

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean that wall / road we march along at the annual Mardi Gras parade? It's kind of hard to recognize in daylight.

Not much here on the north side of Austin yet. Lots of wind (40mph?) and clouds. Look like we'll get some rain, but nothing quite yet. Weather patterns here have been much more interesting than what we're getting over here right now. Of course that we're getting anything over here only means Houston is taking a pounding. I think I spied an outer band cloud from Rita on the Horizon when it was around. Best wishes.

Yahoo is slipping big time in news coverage.Any storm stories are buried about 6 pages down. :thumbup:

Well, Ike came and went. In his aftermath he left around 4.5 million people with no power, uprooted and broke many trees, bushes and fences. All in all, it could've been worse. I can't speak for anyone else, but my family and I are all fine. Some minimal damage, no power, no a/c and no broadband service, but as I said it could've been worse.

Mike

I can't speak for anyone else, but my family and I are all fine. Some minimal damage, no power, no a/c and no broadband service, but as I said it could've been worse.

Mike

Good news, Mike. I hope everyone comes through this OK. Some of the images I saw on the Weather Channel were scary.

Fran

Been checking the GCS website and forum frequently. Have not heard from everyone by ANY means. Sound like they still have no power in most of the city. What a nightmare.

Rita pretty much convinced me and my family to get out of there as soon as we could.

This just reinforces the fact that GCS (the membership) is tougher than nails. First off, just practicing and performing in the Houston climate and then having to deal with these terrible disasters.

GCS, Please check in as soon as possible to let us outside of Houston know you are all ok.

DCP, Keep our membership and the rest of Galveston and Houston in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Darrin

So far it seems that everybody made it thru ok. Still a few members without power. A few shingles missing here and there and some fence damage for a few members. All in all we seemed to be very lucky.

If you see any of the video from Galveston and Port Arthur it is just amazing. Its very hard to believe the amount of damage sustained in those areas. Galveston took a very hard hit and there are many people there who have lost everything....houses, cars, boats....its just amazing to see the pictures on the local news. Especially when you see the video and recognize the areas since we have been involved in the Galveston Mardi Gras festivities every year....its hard to believe that some of those landmarks that you have marched past so many times are no longer there.

If you see any of the video from Galveston and Port Arthur it is just amazing. Its very hard to believe the amount of damage sustained in those areas. Galveston took a very hard hit and there are many people there who have lost everything....houses, cars, boats....its just amazing to see the pictures on the local news. Especially when you see the video and recognize the areas since we have been involved in the Galveston Mardi Gras festivities every year....its hard to believe that some of those landmarks that you have marched past so many times are no longer there.

Yeah, Hooters in Galveston is GONE! All that's left of it are the stilts it rested upon.

Missouri City is slowly regaining power (our has been on for 40 hrs now). But yes, Houston has taken a beating. The Chase Building in downtown Houston has one side of it's windows gone. Its incredible what went on.

I was half asleep during the roughest part of the hurricane, and it sounded like a couple of times the house just wanted to take off with the wind. 75% of our fence is gone, and there are down trees and branches in the neighborhood, but hardly any casualties that I've heard of.

And no classes at HBU for 2 days!