Who are your clear winners

hsreed

Ever been to Alaska? :tongue:

Yes, and it was at the end of May, when it was still light out.

So let me clarify my statement to reflect just the "lower 48" perspective. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough- it's always midnight somwhere in the world, regardless of if it's light or dark where you are ;)

AND if it's midnight where you are, there's daylight somewhere else.

So, you can actually say seemingly contradictory statements:

Yes, it's dark at midnight

No, it's not dark at midnight

and both statements will be true, without creating a logical fallacy!

It's all a matter of your point-of-view.

Okay, let me clarify even further.

"Lower 48" and reflecting only geographic locations within that limited area. Or better yet, let me refer to just a geographic range of northwest Indiana at midnight, away from the lights so there's no confusion it's dark out, and disregarding what's happening anywhere else in the world.

I return you now to the thread. :)

With the Whole thing? Are you kidding? This will make for some interesting discussion. I Believe Phantom also won the "Night of the TIE". Just like I said in the other thread where people are trying to tell me (us) that the Judges got it wrong this year, I do believe they got it wrong that year. Once again like I said in that other thread "I KNOW what I HEARD and SAW that night". The Judges got it RIGHT this year and got it WRONG with the TIE. 1996 Phantom Regiment THE CLEAR WINNER! oh yeah IMHO!

I can't think of a single DCI finals that I didn't see it as the judges did. From the 70's, 80's and on, including '85 and '87 as stated by the OP. As much as I love Phantom '96 and wish they won, I can see why they tied. I believe that DCI has yet to get it wrong.

I can't think of a single DCI finals that I didn't see it as the judges did. From the 70's, 80's and on, including '85 and '87 as stated by the OP. As much as I love Phantom '96 and wish they won, I can see why they tied. I believe that DCI has yet to get it wrong.

Can someone call Dan Acheson and let him know his mom is on the internet again?

It seems every year there's a debate as to who people would have as the winner of DCI this year. There are years that are in dispute, 87 & 89 come to mind. There are also clear winners, such as 91, 02.

In the years you believe someone else should have won, what leads you believe the judges got it wrong?

Excluding 85, I believe the biggest rip off in DCI history was 87. SCV was far superior to Cadets that evening. A close second is 2000 when Cadets were simply amazing and should have won outright.

I think it most years where the scoring was close, a case can be made for another corps winning. Since my first year in drum corps, I'd say the only clear winners were 84, 85, 86, 91, 2002 and 2005.

With the Whole thing? Are you kidding? This will make for some interesting discussion. I Believe Phantom also won the "Night of the TIE". Just like I said in the other thread where people are trying to tell me (us) that the Judges got it wrong this year, I do believe they got it wrong that year. Once again like I said in that other thread "I KNOW what I HEARD and SAW that night". The Judges got it RIGHT this year and got it WRONG with the TIE. 1996 Phantom Regiment THE CLEAR WINNER! oh yeah IMHO!

Well, I think the judges got in right in '08 and wrong in 1996. I had Phantom 3rd in 1996. Bottom line - none of us are qualified to judge, but in close cases (and 1996 was one of those) it's easy to see why people think different corps should have won.

:tongue:

Clear winner years I can think of off hand:

1975- everything else Madison pales in comparison

1986- holy ####

1984- once again, holy ####

1991- THE definitave Star performance

1994- BD at their best. ever.

1995- never a doubt

1997- often an overlooked year in drum corps

1998- Cadets+1998= smokin'

2001- oft forgotten Cavies title show

2002- still yet again, holy ####

2004- not much competition aside from BD

2005- maybe the best collection of drum corps perfomers ever

2006- best GE. this show was designed to win from the ground up.

Disputed wins:

1988- Many say random performance order was the reason Madison won. I agree.

1987- I agree with previous poster. Big rip-off.

2007- I really try to like this show

2003- I thought Cavies had superior design. Boring as sin, but superior.

Heavily disputed wins and/or ties:

1989- Maybe most controversial win ever

1993- so Star really didn't win?

1996- you'll find many compelling cases for both BD and Phantom. I give the egde to BD.

1999- SCV. BD. Two of my fav corps and two of my fav shows. I'll go with SCV.

2000- Cadets IMO. Greatest show ever.

2008- I just can't get behind Phantom 2008. There's more to winning DCI than emotion. And to me, thats all Phantom had. Emotion. I don't buy it. And I had several friends marching in Phantom 2008.

Clear winner years I can think of off hand:

1975- everything else Madison pales in comparison

1986- holy ####

1984- once again, holy ####

1991- THE definitave Star performance

1994- BD at their best. ever.

1995- never a doubt

1997- often an overlooked year in drum corps

1998- Cadets+1998= smokin'

2001- oft forgotten Cavies title show

2002- still yet again, holy ####

2004- not much competition aside from BD

2005- maybe the best collection of drum corps perfomers ever

2006- best GE. this show was designed to win from the ground up.

Disputed wins:

1988- Many say random performance order was the reason Madison won. I agree.

1987- I agree with previous poster. Big rip-off.

2007- I really try to like this show

2003- I thought Cavies had superior design. Boring as sin, but superior.

Heavily disputed wins and/or ties:

1989- Maybe most controversial win ever

1993- so Star really didn't win?

1996- you'll find many compelling cases for both BD and Phantom. I give the egde to BD.

1999- SCV. BD. Two of my fav corps and two of my fav shows. I'll go with SCV.

2000- Cadets IMO. Greatest show ever.

2008- I just can't get behind Phantom 2008. There's more to winning DCI than emotion. And to me, thats all Phantom had. Emotion. I don't buy it. And I had several friends marching in Phantom 2008.

I would disagree with 2001, I honestly thought they should have gotten 2nd, possibly third...like seriously... 02 I would not dispute though, that show was groundbreaking, like it or not.