Being in a High School band with drum corps instructors

sday88

Much better prospects than we had in NW Ohio at the time (early 80's). The band director in my early years, who I idolized (big Madison fan/ hated Bridgemen--don't know why because we played all Bridgemen music, went to Michigan too!) retired and we were stuck with the student teacher, who had just graduated from a school in Bowling Green that will go nameless. Good guy, but very new. Then he left and we got another person from that same school, more experienced, but not very inspirational.

I wonder why I stuck it through sometimes. Oh yeah, because the first director who started me had just landed me my first symphony job and I needed a tuba. Would have loved to had a director with big name corps experience, but they just didn't come to our part of the world. Coming off tour with the '82 Kilts and having a symphony audition waiting...PRICELESS!!!

Thanks, Mr. Walker! :tongue:

I did have Bill Hamilton as a student teacher though. Very inspirational and kept me in drum corps! You Bluecoat alums will recognize that name. Would have been nice to have him in the fall though rather than spring semester.

Thanks to you to, Mr. Hamilton! :smile:

Did you go to Glen Oak?

My first year our band director was a Drum Corps judge for the penn circuit. And I believe our percussion tech was a recent graduate who marched with the Ohio Brass Factory. We also had a number of Bluecoats members in the band.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you go to Glen Oak?

Isn't that NE Ohio?

I said NW Ohio!

Ayersville. :tongue:

Isn't that NE Ohio?

I said NW Ohio!

Ayersville. :tongue:

oh sorry didn't notice the NW ohio remark. I didn't know bill worked at any other schools but the glen oak schools.

And no Scott, I meant Glen Oak which is near Canton, Oh and where Bill worked when we marched in Coats.

oh sorry didn't notice the NW ohio remark. I didn't know bill worked at any other schools but the glen oak schools.

And no Scott, I meant Glen Oak which is near Canton, Oh and where Bill worked when we marched in Coats.

I was replying to BigDale. Since he thought it might have been NE Ohio I thought maybe he was thinking of Oak Glen in WV.

Monroe??? Marty Griffin's band.

That's the one! Martin has built a really good program there in a short period of time. Our nephew is the saxophone section leader this year.

Barbara and I hope to get up to NJ to catch a USSBA show with Monroe in the lineup this fall. We can be "band aunt and uncle" for the day.....LOL

Fran

He didn't work for us, he was a student teacher finishing up his degree at BGSU.

I was replying to BigDale. Since he thought it might have been NE Ohio I thought maybe he was thinking of Oak Glen in WV.

No, I looked it up. It is in Canton (northeast) Ohio. You guys always had it better on that side of the state. Bill even said that himself! NW Ohio is/ was very conservative--lot's of blue collar, union type people and way too many Michigan grads!!! :thumbup:

He didn't work for us, he was a student teacher finishing up his degree at BGSU.

I didn't know Bill went to BG. I guess I shouldn't like him since I'm a Toledo Grad. :thumbup::laugh:

No, I looked it up. It is in Canton (northeast) Ohio. You guys always had it better on that side of the state. Bill even said that himself! NW Ohio is/ was very conservative--lot's of blue collar, union type people and way too many Michigan grads!!! :thumbup:

Well, when you get even further East where I am (right on the Ohio River) it's VERY blue collar union (steel country, well what's left of it anyway). The band programs here suck, big time.