What would it take to get Pioneer from last place in World Class?

I think it's admirable of Donny to attempt to use DCP like a "think tank." I think for the most part comments and suggestions have been constructive.

I my opinion, if Pioneer becomes a better corps, it forces all the rest....first those around them in placement and soon all rest to get better as well. What we get as fans in return is an even better product to enjoy.

So Donny....here's to you taking the risk and asking those of us not intimately involved in the organization for our thoughts, ideas and suggestions. It takes guts to deal with some of us. You've got 'em.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought....not even really directed at Pioneer, but something that came to mind....

Almost every corps can see the benefits of member retention from year to year, and DCI has specific rules that no member may march in a corps if they owe money to another corps. With that in mind, would it be beneficial to ANY corps if multi-year contracts were offered?

Say it's $1,200 to march in a corps for one year, but there's a member who has three seasons left. What if a corps offered that member a tour fee of $900 per year, but they are required to pay for three years. It'd still only be $900/year for that member, and they pay each year as it comes (or all at once if they'd like). But this way when the next season comes they can't march anywhere else unless they pay off the additional $1,800. With that kind of incentive, that member is probably just going to march that corps again.

You couldn't really enforce it if a member decides to not march at all in a certain year, and probably not if they march a DCA corps either, but it would at least give some financial incentive to stay with a corps.

I just wanted to ask this one again because I think it got buried. Would this be something that could potentially help or hurt a corps?

I just wanted to ask this one again because I think it got buried. Would this be something that could potentially help or hurt a corps?

I only think this fails to work because DCI currently lacks seriously in the enforcement area of this policy. I don't know of one recent case (last 3 years) where a member has been pulled off the field because they owed another corps back dues.

Donny,

Being a newbie here, I will defer to those with more experiences. I will say that I too admire your passion and desire to see your corps succeed. The Pioneer were always a fav of mine.

Good luck!

Joey Cav...

As you know, being that we have marched together AND WON almost every show that we played in...*albeit DCA...I always appreciate your vision, and I am actually going to suggest to Roman that someone like you COULD actually help in a number of ways.

I always listen to your thoughts, and I am actually pitching you to another organization at this time.

I just didnt want you and T.B. to go at it on this thread. It is frustrating to me, and as someone pointed out, my purpose in doing this, quite frankly is possibly to open some eyes and ears in what it would take to move from the basement to the first floor. Anyone that cares about drum corps wants to see every corps succeed, but what it takes at this level to succeed is a tough battle sometimes. Trying to recruit for a non top 12 corps is NOT EASY! Even the corps that are hopeful 12-15 types are finding that getting quality kids is at a premium.

Before last season, a few corps were generous enough to give me the names of students that were cut and didnt make their corps. Almost to the person they told me that if they didnt get in the corps that they wanted, they would just wait until next year and try again, instead of getting a year's experience with a corps that wasn't, in their minds, worthy of their time or especially money.

These are just some of the things that a corps like Pioneer is facing.

Of course you are certainly welcome to continue to post on this thread!

Donny

DA,

Those kids need to be sold. Not begged to march. Not convinced of anything. But sold on the idea of being in Pioneer. And the target audience is 18-22 y/o; not exactly the logically driven, discerning type, but more the ego-driven, emotional type. Mr. B was a master at crafting the message for the ego-driven types (like me and my closest friends...haha) and getting them to buy into something greater than themselves...Being a STATESMEN (sic). That message yielded the finest result: not a half-baked "I'll come check it out"; but a commitment. This type of conversation happens to be in my wheel house. If the recruiting director at Pioneer wants to give me a list of phone numbers, I bet I can close more than a few on "Pioneer."

And if there isn't a recruiting director, I got plenty of time on my hands. You know me. I'll stuff the envelopes and hand out the flyers if it means someone can enjoy drum corps that much better.

Fans first, corps second, me third.

Edited by wishbonecav

Thanks Joe...

I will make sure that the information gets to the correct.

Can you PM me some digits to get in touch?

CYA!

DA

I think it would take some serious Celtic Reflections! thats the final word Reflect!

A Roman Catholic nun who pleaded no contest to sexually abusing two Milwaukee boys years ago will spend a year in jail.

Don't let that sad piece referring to past history in the area derail the motive behind the thread though. This was about Pioneer.

Back OT: I know it's under appreciated but giving a whole lot of kids a place to march that might not make it in a top 12 corps is also a worthy mission. But I can understand the desire to at least be competitive with the lower tier and always not come in dead last.

If it's any consolation, I have liked Pioneer's show better than a few top 12 the last couple of times I have seen them.

I think it would take some serious Celtic Reflections! thats the final word Reflect!

What page is that on, in the green tour book?

Keith,

I enjoyed reading your suggestions and comments on this issue however, I don't agree with your assessment on recruting members and or having camps in the Southern region.

Many and I mean many current World Class drum corps continue to recruit members from Georgia, Florida and Texas for a reason. Boston and Teal continue to get great numbers each year and will continue to do so. Even Hopkins when asked said the best place to start a drum corps would be Miami due to the large number of members that come from that area and currently march in multiple corps.

I did also read that many other locations such as Northern Indiana. Yes, the financial status of the country will impact the organizations bottom line but the members that want to march always find a way to pay plus the drum corps themselves offer many opportunities to offset fees.

In another post you sent you said members today are lazy in general and would rather watch YouTube, spend time playing PSP and look into FaceBook then spend two months in the hot sun working everyday. I couldn't agree with you more! BUT, if this activity was easy everyone would do it and we would still have many corps from years past. No, this isn't the main reason why we have limitied corps we do today but it has helped.

God Speed,

JVN