45 toss?

phoenixfire

How do you perform a 45 toss on a flag? I tried and end up with a knot on my head each time. Also weights....do I get them for both ends of the pole or just one end?

So much effort to type out but:

Step 1- with body facing front, set with the flag at right slam with the left hand palm up a third from the crutch, and right hand palm down at the tab.

Step 2- taking the staircase plane to face the corner, pull your left hand BEHIND your head and your right hand up. The most common mistake of newbies is to attempt this toss by having both hands infront of your face....tis wrong. Also get infront of a reflective surface or get a friend to check your angle. The silk is released in the left corner with the weight of your body on the left foot. This is count 1.

Step 3- Silk is in the air as your body turns to the back over your left shoulder. This is count 2.

step 4- catch shoulder hip angle with the silk up to the right with the right hand palm up, left hand palm down. This is count 3.

It takes some time to figure out the right loftyness to rotation ratio. Remember, the left hand is to guide the pitch, the right hand is the lift....rotation comes from the slicing of the staircase plane.

Also just my prefrence with my poles, but we use an ubber weight on top and none on the bottom....but I also write alot of work where your holding on to just the silk and the pole flies about.

Best of luck young spinner.

Thanks this helps alot. I thought you were sposed to keep your hands in front of your body...no wonder I have bruises. I am going to go try it after dinner. Thanks again!!!!

So much effort to type out but:

Step 1- with body facing front, set with the flag at right slam with the left hand palm up a third from the crutch, and right hand palm down at the tab.

Step 2- taking the staircase plane to face the corner, pull your left hand BEHIND your head and your right hand up. The most common mistake of newbies is to attempt this toss by having both hands infront of your face....tis wrong. Also get infront of a reflective surface or get a friend to check your angle. The silk is released in the left corner with the weight of your body on the left foot. This is count 1.

Step 3- Silk is in the air as your body turns to the back over your left shoulder. This is count 2.

step 4- catch shoulder hip angle with the silk up to the right with the right hand palm up, left hand palm down. This is count 3.

It takes some time to figure out the right loftyness to rotation ratio. Remember, the left hand is to guide the pitch, the right hand is the lift....rotation comes from the slicing of the staircase plane.

Also just my prefrence with my poles, but we use an ubber weight on top and none on the bottom....but I also write alot of work where your holding on to just the silk and the pole flies about.

Best of luck young spinner.

Well, this is pretty much how I teach, but Performers stand still during the toss and turn underneath while the flag is in the air to catch.

And yes, the most common error is trying to release with both hands in front of the face/body, and then the next is releasing with the tab-hand down and the crutch/cheater hand up. the next is just standing there watching the flag come back and smack you in the head.

AND FOR CHRISTS SAKE DON'T REACH FOR THE FLAG, YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ROTATION AND SPEED

WHEN THE FLAG COMES TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!1!

• 4 weeks later...

Find a video of it.

Study the technique.

And DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL.

You have to be confident enough with the placement of the flag into the air. If you reach out to early you will probably hit yourself.