Indiana Jones Theme Contest

My initial reactions while watching each band's video (in order watched):

USC- flat out awful

Auburn-no dynamics, very boring, but much better than USC

Clemson- fight song tag was fun, at least I think it was there fight song

Georgia- pit is very loud, trumpets were a little dirty, but the 'pic feature' was money, favorite so far

Florida- much better than I expected, just don't care for the 'Jaws of the Gator' tag

LSU- loud

Texas- this band can really play, favorite of all

Does anyone find it interesting that 6 bands are from the SEC and 1 from the PAC-10? There are certainly quite a few more better collegiate marching bands, *cough* Big Ten *cough*.

I'd say that a large percentage of the best bands aren't even in major conferences. North Texas and UMass come to mind right off the top of my head.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reactions while watching each band's video (in order watched):

USC- flat out awful

Auburn-no dynamics, very boring, but much better than USC

Clemson- fight song tag was fun, at least I think it was there fight song

Georgia- pit is very loud, trumpets were a little dirty, but the 'pic feature' was money, favorite so far

Florida- much better than I expected, just don't care for the 'Jaws of the Gator' tag

LSU- loud

Texas- this band can really play, favorite of all

Does anyone find it interesting that 6 bands are from the SEC and 1 from the PAC-10? There are certainly quite a few more better collegiate marching bands, *cough* Big Ten *cough*.

Only 4 are from the SEC. Texas is in the Big 12. Clemson is in the ACC. I was surprised that that Michigan wasn't chosen for this contest since they have a very good band.

Only 4 are from the SEC. Texas is in the Big 12. Clemson is in the ACC. I was surprised that that Michigan wasn't chosen for this contest since they have a very good band.

Apparently, they chose the preseason top ten (in the USA Today Poll), and Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Missouri bowed out for some reason.

LSU wins the creativity award, but the UT band is clean clean clean, and has a nice arrangement. I did, and will continue this week, to vote for UT.

Okay, not to disect too much because this is marching band, not drum corps, where rehearsal time and experience level is much less (typically) you have annoying things like class and work interfering music. (How dare they?!) Anyway,

Auburn was forgettable

Clemson was good, nothing special

Georgia was pretty tight, but not much else going on

Florida about like Auburn

LSU was fun albeit sloooooooooow. (Bonus points for the indiana jonesettes :worthy: ) (Bonus points taken away for the slow motion pit viper.)

USC's colorguard looks like a bunch of prudes following the pole dancers at LSU

Texas definately the best musically. No frills, just good. Got my vote.

A couple good bands, but not representitive of the best bands in the country by far. Those would include (IMHO) Penn State, Michigan, North Texas, Jasksonville State and UMASS.

LSU wins the creativity award, but the UT band is clean clean clean, and has a nice arrangement. I did, and will continue this week, to vote for UT.

To be fair, I went back and listened to them to see if I liked it any better.

Can't says dat I do.

Its not really that clean, tho, is it? I mean, there's a lot of phasing, bad attacks, and intonation problems. All seven bands had these problems, UT was not the only one. I think UGA and LSU are cleaner and have better dynamics. I guess you could say LSU had more eye candy, and while a few of us drum corps types might not like that, you know mainstream America loves that stuff.

I expect LSU to win, and win big, but the more I listen, I think I like Goergia better.

I think my order is:

1. LSU

2. UGA

3. Texas

4. Clemson

5. Auburn

6. UF

7. USC

Of course, that might change tomorow.

I could hardly hear the drums in LSU's at all, basses most of all. :worthy:

That is 15 minutes of my life I won't get back.

LSU was decent, but the half azz visuals killed it for me.

My top vote goes for Texas. Good arrangement.

I refuse to watch twice to refine my voting.

p.s. I was watching USCs drumline on youtube over the weekend. Those guys put up tons of videos and act like they are hot, but that stuff is awful.

Here's some cool info about Texas that may persuade in the voting.

- The 2005 Cadets had 7 members from the University of Texas alone.

- The late 90's Cavaliers had a very high percentage of their drum line from Texas.

- There's a ton of people who march in corps from Texas, can't name all of them.

- We created an indoor drum corps show to compete in the talent show called "40 Acre Sound". We played a great

arrangement of Malaguena with plenty of screaming trumpets and I wrote the drill.

- We have played the Madison Scouts arrangements (note for note) of El Toro Caliente (1995) and Malaguena

(1996). El Toro was played at The Rose Bowl. I played the solos, which were soooo much fun.

- To give you an idea of the talent in the band, here's a stat about the trumpet section. Going down my line, not chair order, the first 6 players were either 2 or 3 year Texas All-State trumpet players. There were more and it's like this in most sections.

- The Longhorn Band doesn't move a whole bunch (show band), but boy can they play.