Les Dips

NanciD

Wow! You just totally shocked me here.

This thread isn't about condemning anyone for mistakes... on the contrary, I was hoping it would be used as an opening to express concerns / questions in order to make things a bit easier on all Corps. (Maybe even give a list of people and places to check with on proper Flag Code both US and International. A Hotline of sorts?)

I again must disagree....

It's my hope that if folks are given a venue to express (be it by mistake of some sort or just misunderstanding or we screwed up or what ever) it doesn't matter the reason, ...as long as they are all willing to reach out and get the right answers, no?

And then have a safe haven to ask and receive honest answers?

Why in the world would folks just give up ... if given that kind of venue?? Seriously. This really is a puzzlement.

Yes, I guess I'm guilty of using this Corps' pic as an example... but, isn't it an important enough topic to get it out in the open and offer assistance? As opposed to everyone talking behind their backs and making them look like bad guys? (I knew that wasn't the case.) The only important issue here is to get the basic CODES out there to all Corps and to assist them any time they have a question.

Can't we all work together on this and straighten it out? *Help each other 'correctly' keep this tradition alive and well?*

Thanx to all, both in advance and to date,.... well, at least to all that are staying on topic and being helpful in this very important part of our history / traditions. (To the others that are addressing their own political or other views.... please? I beg of you not to pollute this thread.... there are other venues for those issues.) For example; I knew this wasn't a Political issue from the git-go...

Anyway, please, please, please.... let's stay focused on this matter?

ALL National Colors Are of Utmost IMPORTANCE to some folks... too bad it's not taught anymore.... sad really.

Perhaps, when I get back to NY, I should dig up some of Grampa's writeups and post them for those that might enjoy or are willing to learn?

G'nite

Any moderators that happen to be reading this... is there any way to change the title of the thread? Please contact me and let me know.

PS: The coolest thing about this thread thus far.... I've been emailed by Canadian Corps ( not just Les Dips) And US Corps already....

So, I'm still feeling good, and have hope for the concept of this thread and it's main purpose!! I couldn't be happier!!! Woo Hoo!!! We do care!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling tales out of school (and may he forgive me for breaching a promise)....

I'm fortunate (and proud!) to have a particular member in my Honor Guard.......

He calls Florida "home" but his family roots are in Racine.....

This member pays the same full dues as any marching member but he does stipulate what he is willing to do for the corps.....Simple things really....

1) March the 4th of July Parade in Racine

2) Wear his family "plaid"

3) Be allowed to carry the POW/MIA flag

This is all he asks for and all that he wants....

The Kilties joyfully grant his simple wishes.......

His father was a POW

Wow! You just totally shocked me here.

This thread isn't about condemning anyone for mistakes... on the contrary, I was hoping it would be used as an opening to express concerns / questions in order to make things a bit easier on all Corps. (Maybe even give a list of people and places to check with on proper Flag Code both US and International. A Hotline of sorts?)

I again must disagree....

It's my hope that if folks are given a venue to express (be it by mistake of some sort or just misunderstanding or we screwed up or what ever) it doesn't matter the reason, ...as long as they are all willing to reach out and get the right answers, no?

And then have a safe haven to ask and receive honest answers?

Why in the world would folks just give up ... if given that kind of venue?? Seriously. This really is a puzzlement.

Yes, I guess I'm guilty of using this Corps' pic as an example... but, isn't it an important enough topic to get it out in the open and offer assistance? As opposed to everyone talking behind their backs and making them look like bad guys? (I knew that wasn't the case.) The only important issue here is to get the basic CODES out there to all Corps and to assist them any time they have a question.

Can't we all work together on this and straighten it out? *Help each other 'correctly' keep this tradition alive and well?*

Thanx to all, both in advance and to date,.... well, at least to all that are staying on topic and being helpful in this very important part of our history / traditions. (To the others that are addressing their own political or other views.... please? I beg of you not to pollute this thread.... there are other venues for those issues.) For example; I knew this wasn't a Political issue from the git-go...

Anyway, please, please, please.... let's stay focused on this matter?

ALL National Colors Are of Utmost IMPORTANCE to some folks... too bad it's not taught anymore.... sad really.

Perhaps, when I get back to NY, I should dig up some of Grampa's writeups and post them for those that might enjoy or are willing to learn?

G'nite

Any moderators that happen to be reading this... is there any way to change the title of the thread? Please contact me and let me know.

Nanci,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in the post that you responded to here. I am certainly not suggesting that corps not carry their national colors, but rather I was fearing that some corps - rather than make a mistake in so doing - will simply not bother to carry them at all.

Just look at many of DCA's corps who have already opted out of honor guards - except for a couple of specific shows (A.L. Nats. in Scranton and DCA Finals).

My post wasn't a criticism of any corps; it wasn't a condemnation of any corps. I was simply suggesting that some corps may choose not to have an honor guard. That's all.

And you certainly know that I agree with you in that if a corps has an honor guard, then they should do it right. And you've certainly provided the opportunity for folks to gain the necessary information through this thread.

Andy

Nanci,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in the post that you responded to here. I am certainly not suggesting that corps not carry their national colors, but rather I was fearing that some corps - rather than make a mistake in so doing - will simply not bother to carry them at all.

Just look at many of DCA's corps who have already opted out of honor guards - except for a couple of specific shows (A.L. Nats. in Scranton and DCA Finals).

My post wasn't a criticism of any corps; it wasn't a condemnation of any corps. I was simply suggesting that some corps may choose not to have an honor guard. That's all.

And you certainly know that I agree with you in that if a corps has an honor guard, then they should do it right. And you've certainly provided the opportunity for folks to gain the necessary information through this thread.

Andy

As long as we're still sort of on this topic, does anyone know why the U.S. Marine D&B Corps doesn't field an A-Squad? I've asked around but can't seem to get a definite answer. I'm sure they have their reasons. I would just like to know why?

Baffled in Blandon

[i haven't seen the Naval Academy D&B corps with an A-squad either. I'm sure they must have a good reason also.

quote name=donbucs' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:26 AM' post='2399960]

As long as we're still sort of on this topic, does anyone know why the U.S. Marine D&B Corps doesn't field an A-Squad? I've asked around but can't seem to get a definite answer. I'm sure they have their reasons. I would just like to know why?

Baffled in Blandon

Baffled in Blandon

I think the military has a different set of rules for fielding their colours...The Marine D&B often travels with another ceremonial unit that carries the national flag and the battle honours (streamers) fixed to the unit flag. Sometimes they all travel together with the rifle drill platoon (sorry if my terminology is incorrect). Often they are at separate functions at the same time.

In the military, at least in Canada, the national colours and the units own colours are not positioned in the front of the unit, but in the middle when travelling in column of route. I think this might be a tradition from the old days to better secure the safety of the colours in battle with troops in front and in rear of the colour guard. In my own experience in the 1960's with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry we had to create our own guard for D&B competition purposes...we would never have used the regimental colours for this purpose.

Could this be it??