Instrument malfunction

Buick

I was just watching 1994 Regiment, and noticed that at :55 seconds, a soprano player in the back had a slide fall out earlier and picked it up rather quickly on the step off.

Which triggered me to think there must be some funny stories out there about these kind of things.

Tell us your stories!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost my 3rd valve slide during a show in 2004. A judge gave it to my caption head after we finished and he gave it to me.

I've busted my lip twice, once in 2003 and then in 2004 (both on horn ups when I tried to have a "Bad..." look and pulled my shako down as low as possible. (stupid mistake and I learned my lesson).

my mouthpiece flew out of my horn right after backfield warmup. Had to march the whole show without it.

A good friend of mine was a french horn player in PR in 1986. At DCI finals, her tuning slide flew out on the starting line on the ready front after the dress center. She marched the whole show without playing a single note.

It was her age out year.

I didn't oil my valves before the San Antonio regional this year, and during our horn warmup two of my valves started drying up. As we were standing in our first set, as the the drum major was saluting, I quickly took out my valves and spit on them. They worked.

VK was doing an exhibition for our hosts at a tour stop in 1973. Because our tenors were one-off prototypes from Rogers, we didn't have real rugged drum mounting hardware. (I have the same drum hardware on my Rogers drumset from the same era.) The hardware on the drum would get stress fractures, crack and fall apart. That's fine and dandy when you are doing regular maintenance and find them so they can be replaced. It's not so fine if it cracks and falls apart while you're marching.

In the days of 14/16/18 tri-tubs, losing an 18" drum will seriously affect the weight distribution, as well as create a major hazard for baritone players behind you. Because of the way our carriers were set up, I loosened the so I could rotate it across, tightened it back up (all on the move) and played double tenors for the remainder of the show...which was pretty much everything after :30 in.

It took a couple of days to get to a town big enough to have a music store that carried the parts we needed, so I marched a mello hole for a couple of shows. (Missing player was having chemotherapy treatments before joining us at US Open. I used to march his spot at horn drill rehearsals when he couldn't make it, so I knew his drill.)

A friend in the Anaheim Kingsmen had a head blow during warm-ups for 1972 DCI finals. After the OTL there's a short drum break before the color-pre. The pattern went down the line of the four tenor players, but the last one is a bit out of tune, about a minor third flat. Now you know why.

Garry in Vegas

A good friend of mine was a french horn player in PR in 1986. At DCI finals, her tuning slide flew out on the starting line on the ready front after the dress center. She marched the whole show without playing a single note.

It was her age out year.

Was that Sandy or Neely?

Garry in Vegas

Last show of the 2002 season my 2nd valve got stuck.

Last show of the 2006 season my third value slide got filled with fluids during a solo (never happened prior to that, not even in rehearsal).

Other than that... nope, though I do remember seeing a tuba mouthpiece flying off during a scatter drill a number of years ago.