Instrument malfunction

Buick

I'm not sure if this would count as a malfunction just wear and tear.

In 07, the show at Boise State on the smurf turf, a show I had been looking forward to most of the season.

Right at the end of our opener my cymbal strap broke on my right cymbal.

I held onto it for dear life, by pressing my cymbals together in a 'hi-hat' position. It almost slipped out once during some visual/bodywork.

Lucky though in the beginning of our ballad I had to take my cymbals off to lift a guard member so she could be "stripped" for a costume change.

Another person on the cymbal line who was in charge or taking the uniform that had been stripped off to the sidelines was able to pick up my cymbal also and take it to the back sideline. So the 2nd half of the show i did everything with just one cymbal.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this would count as a malfunction just wear and tear.

In 07, the show at Boise State on the smurf turf, a show I had been looking forward to most of the season.

Right at the end of our opener my cymbal strap broke on my right cymbal.

I held onto it for dear life, by pressing my cymbals together in a 'hi-hat' position. It almost slipped out once during some visual/bodywork.

Lucky though in the beginning of our ballad I had to take my cymbals off to lift a guard member so she could be "stripped" for a costume change.

Another person on the cymbal line who was in charge or taking the uniform that had been stripped off to the sidelines was able to pick up my cymbal also and take it to the back sideline. So the 2nd half of the show i did everything with just one cymbal.

Nice save! :satisfied:

In 2000 My rack fell apart after a show.

My rack in 01 always fell apart or fell over. (very top heavy) Never during a show though.

I marched over a Euph's 3rd valve slide in Rochester this year. I think the judge kicked it right after I passed him... and then he quickly picked it up. Best part is that the guy who lost it kept playing like nothing happened. :thumbup:

i swear to you that this is true. it isn't "drum corps true," meaning it is not like the mythical black gold bond bottle. i witnessed it with my own eyes, and i'll never forget it. it was my very first show.

in 1998, we had only run the opener one time before the first preview show (somewhere in pa/nj -- passiac valley, maybe?). the end of the opener was full of crazy drill with small lines that rotated around in L shapes until we ended in a company front. it was pretty sweet. check the video.

DURING the show (a day show), the loop of somebody's SOPRANO BUGLE (not a slide -- an entire bugle) got caught on the button on the shoulder of a mellophone player. the mello (tony) grabbed the soprano, and marched the rest of the opener -- maybe 32 counts? at 184 -- with two horns in playing position.

when we hit the last set, he did the horns down with both horns, walked forward a few steps and put the soprano on the sideline before he returned to his spot to march the rest of the show. no joke. it was amazing. AN ENTIRE SOPRANO!

that same summer, it was so hot in san antonio (pre dome days) that our tuning slides were pulled out very far. on the first horns down, about six slides fell onto the ground in unison. even later that summer, the j-bar of a set of quads just snapped as we were going onto the field for quarters, and a soprano player lost a shoe during finals. you can see the judge clear it off the field right before the ballad starts.

there was also a picture floating around a few years ago of a crossmen contra playing the horn of which he had lost the bell during a show. (it was one of the kanstuls with the removable bell like bd used to use.)

• 2 weeks later...

While watching 83 Suncoast Sound, I saw a cymbal at the very end of the show with a HUGE chunk missing from his left plate....a wedge maybe 6 inches across at the edge and about as deep...don't know where in the show it happened, but doing a choke would've been no fun with THAT puppy staring at you....since chokes back then were done with the edge against teh chest, not the flat.

I aged out of Crown in 2007. At Atlanta, I was a part of the big triangle rotation where a bunch of members got taken out and were on the turf right on the Falcons helmet. Trashed my horn. I played lead trumpet and the end of the show was mostly high C's. This was good because none of my valves could move and that was the last I ever saw of that horn...

in 1982 during a parade in cincinnati we had an interesting malfuntion with a cymbal strap.

The parade tune we played was from our show and the cymbals spun our cymbals when we brought them up at the beginning of the tune. Well the cymbal player next to me had one strap that must have not been tied well because it came undone and when he flipped up his cymbals one of them kept going up because it was no longer connected to his strap or hand.

It was like everything went into slow motion as I watched his cymbal flip through the air and eventually come down on the street. It was probably one of the loudest things I had heard and I could barely keep from laughing. well he tossed his strap to one of the drum staff who was walking along beside us and they retied his strap and got his cymbal back to him.