Southwest Airlines Student Rapid Rewards

As a mom who has spent years trying to find the most affordable way to get my son to monthly camps, last year I stumbled across the Southwest Airline Student Rapid Rewards program. As a student you get double rewards! So if you travel round trip it would be 4 credits or 2 credits each way. It takes 16 credits to earn a free travel voucher, so for every 4 flights you get a free one. I have never been able to find a link on their website so if anyone is interested they need to call customer service to join. It’s free. 1-800-435-9792

I also watch the Southwest Ding fairs daily and have been able to find some extremely good fairs. It takes some effort to keep up, but it’s well worth it. If your really creative you can also work their system to get additional points. Last year I found a Ding fair to Denver for $39 and then later a Ding fair from Denver to Chicago for $59. If I purchased the ticket directly to Chicago is was $150 so I saved $52 by purchasing 2 tickets rather than 1 and because it was considered two separate trips and my son earned 2 additional credits. He did have to collect his bags in Denver and re-check them.

A note of caution: During holiday periods Southwest is usually not the least expensive so make sure you shop all the airlines early…. Most Airlines have a student program but they don’t advertise them so you have to ask!

Thank you! This was most helpful.

Here are the details of the Southwest Rapid Rewards program for college students:

https://www.southwest.com/rrenroll/college/

* Only open to college students age 18-23

* 4 bonus rewards at enrollment (16 required for a free round trip ticket)

* 1 extra bonus reward for each leg

* Get 1 free round trip after flying 3 round trips (using the signup bonus of 4 credits)

* NOT available for anyone under 18

* They will ask for some sort of verification of current college enrollment

ALSO, they have youth fares:

* NOT cheaper than Wanna Getaway fares, but cheaper than other fares

* These are only available when the Wanna fares are sold out, and you must call to book (not online)

* Typically only a little more than the Wanna fares

Southwest is the only airline not charging a gazillion fees either, so there's no 1st or 2nd bag fee, nor any fees for changing travel plans. For flights booked with their Rapid Rewards program (rewards flights), they just reinstate the rewards and refund the taxes (other airlines charge $100 or more). For paid flights, they charge no fees for the cancellation/change, but you must use the fare within 12 months. If your Rapid Rewards coupons expire (good for a year), you can reinstate them online for another year for $50.

Does anybody know if it's possible for an existing Rapid Rewards member to convert their account to a college account? I definitely need to take advantage of this...

Does anybody know if it's possible for an existing Rapid Rewards member to convert their account to a college account? I definitely need to take advantage of this...

You should call and ask! It's worth a try......

Edited by NV82

I love Southwest. The one bad thing about them is they don't fly out of a lot of large airports if there is another smaller airport within a couple hours drive that they can use instead.

The lower airport fees at smaller airports help keep their fares down...so I guess you should be GLAD that they "...don't fly out of a lot of large airports if there is another smaller airport within a couple hours drive that they can use instead." :withstupid: