Winter Brass Lines

OPEC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend assured me they were there.. you have to buy the rulebook for $80 or something though.

maybe that's why nobody does it?

I don't think anybody's horns are "gathering dust" in the off season.. most camps begin in November.. two months (between Aug and Nov) is hardly enough time to "gather dust."

Or.. perhaps most corps are busy building their summer programs in the winter season.

Having performances and a whole other set of requirements for a winter program would increase costs to the member (making it harder to participate for many of them)..

It doesn't surprise me at all.. I would think we'd see a much higher rate of burnout if drum corps ended up being a year round involvement.. there would be no fall or winter bands (or it would be just one more reason for the band directors who hate us now to hate us even more...).

JMHO, of course.. but I don't see it becoming a "thing" -- at least not with established organizations..

It doesn't surprise me at all.. I would think we'd see a much higher rate of burnout if drum corps ended up being a year round involvement..

Well ... it kind of already is for a lot of percussion and guard people.

I always thought that it would be great to put together a competitive winter brassline. Sort of a WGI meets Blast kind of thing. But then I remembered something. Next year I'm going to be a high school band director and I remembered the important role that high school concert band programs play in music education as a whole. I would never want my brass players to be marching year round because they would end up losing a vital quality in their playing called musicianship. Marching band and drum corps are not the places where kids learn to be musicians, it's in the classroom and on the stage. Concert band gives the student time to focus only on playing. I think without concert programs, drum corps wouldn't sound as good as they do today. So now, after all that, I don't think a winter brassline would be a good idea.

Um...dude...I don't know what you learned when you marched, but musicianship is pretty high up on the totem pole of "important things to be concerned with while performing" at my corps. Someone posted something over on the Cavaliers' forum a while back, in which a band director told their kid that drum corps just teaches their members to be robots, that there is no musicality required. No matter what you're doing while playing, and no matter what size the group, if you're not playing musically, it won't sound musical.

High schools shouldnt start these organizations, but with independent organizations, kids can do both easily.

only a few of the absolute elite Division I corps pull anything but a majority of high school students.

who are you suggesting should do this?