Columbus Day, 1967

It was Columbus Day, 1967 when the 27th Lancers marched as a corps for the first time. It was the passing of one corps, yet the birth of another - poetic as life itself.

The corps lived longer than some, less than others. The corps had pride and determination - a will to survive. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, we left our mark on the entire activity.

It was Columbus Day 1969 when I first saw my future corps. I was standing on a side street, with my former CYO band waiting to step off. It seemed like every band, drum corps and drill team marched the Revere Columbus Day. It was the look of the Aussie hat, the simple khaki shirt and slacks with Sam Browne belt, spit shined shoes, Kelly Green ascot along with that sound of Rawhide and I was hooked.

I extend a Happy Birthday to the brothers and sister I marched with and post here:

drmr27

John2780

UP4479

A27Lancer

O.P.

tgk2779

LancerFi

1975-27thLancer was older, & ferb27, his bro Keith, and Lancerlady, were younger - but we shared the same passion.

Edited by LancerLegend

Happy Birthday to you too, Brother Jim....

WOW! What a concept! Do you mean that we're ONLY Forty-One Years Old?

That's Great! I'll sleep well tonight feeling younger,.....

It's absolutely incredible to think that the 37-Year Old Kahuna and our late Matriarch started this "Thing Of Ours" with (5) Kids at home, including their youngest in diapers! It's even harder to believe that "Diaper Boy" (George B. Jr.) would later become one of the founders of the now infamous "Space Line".

On second thought, maybe we are truly OLD!

Hmmmmm. I'm still younger than LancerLegend after all these years.....

I was 10 years old and marched in the same parade with the I.C. Reveries. My neighbors from across the street (and babysitters) marched with 27th in the same parade. Little did I know I would end up there 8 years later!

It was a different time and place. Neighborhood kids brought together to form a bugle band. Remember in 1976 how we had out of state members, and how unique that seemed??

Happy anniversary!

Happy Birthday, Lancers!

2-7 is my favorite drum corps - EVAH!

I always wanted to be in that incredible flag line. Had Revere been closer to Indianapolis, perhaps my dream would have come true. But, it was march drum corps or go to college. There wasn't money for both.

Always and in my heart, I'm "Wacky for the Khaki"!

Congratulations!

Sally

It was Columbus Day, 1967 when the 27th Lancers marched as a corps for the first time. It was the passing of one corps, yet the birth of another - poetic as life itself.

Happy birthday, Jim!

I remember that day as well. For me the event marked the rebirth of our senior corps despite the efforts of some to destroy it. Many people worked behind the scene to make that day possible including my parents. Many had no affiliation with the corps before or after but made the extra effort to see that corps come alive. I'm glad to have seen what went on leading up to that day because it would make marching with 27th just that more important to me later.

After a miserable experience in 1975, I felt I had returned home when I joined 27th in 1976. The only thrill that out shined my first practice behind Northgate with 27th was the entire 94 experience where I got to wear the uniform again along side some of those 1968 Lancers that I had looked up to as a 10 year old. :blink: I'm lucky to have marched with the Reveries and 27th. I wouldn't trade marching with either corps for anything in the world. Two great corps with great people that I'm still close friends with.

I wonder if my parents (both were former marching members of great local bands and were involved with drum corps since the late 50s) really knew what they were providing me as an eight year old in 1965 when I first marched? I had no clue then but I'm glad they dragged me to Father Brennan Hall that day. :tongue:

Happy Birthday to you too, Brother Jim....

WOW! What a concept! Do you mean that we're ONLY Forty-One Years Old?

That's Great! I'll sleep well tonight feeling younger,.....

It's absolutely incredible to think that the 37-Year Old Kahuna and our late Matriarch started this "Thing Of Ours" with (5) Kids at home, including their youngest in diapers! It's even harder to believe that "Diaper Boy" (George B. Jr.) would later become one of the founders of the now infamous "Space Line".

On second thought, maybe we are truly OLD!

recently on another discussion in this forum, I expressed my appreciation for 27th. The combined length of the two corps I marched in was only 10 years. But I must say those years in the east was simply a grand time and as I approach the big six-oh, I will never forget competing against the great corps from Revere, Lynn and in and around Boston during those years! Long live those memories we all share!

Puppet

The corps lived longer than some, less than others. The corps had pride and determination - a will to survive. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, we left our mark on the entire activity.

It was Columbus Day 1969 when I first saw my future corps. I was standing on a side street, with my former CYO band waiting to step off. It seemed like every band, drum corps and drill team marched the Revere Columbus Day. It was the look of the Aussie hat, the simple khaki shirt and slacks with Sam Browne belt, spit shined shoes, Kelly Green ascot along with that sound of Rawhide and I was hooked.

I extend a Happy Birthday to the brothers and sister I marched with and post here:

drmr27

John2780

UP4479

A27Lancer

O.P.

tgk2779

LancerFi

1975-27thLancer & Lancerlady were older and younger respectively - but we shared the same passion.

Happy belated to all,

The memories still live on :tongue:

I remember seeing 27ths drumline in 1983 and thinking that they were playing through the drum all the way to the center of the earth. It was intense, and very intimidating! Drew Lang (former Nighthawk snare drummer) went on to march with 2-7 and I'm sure he loved getting to be in the midst of all that power.

And now for a little uneasiness: I remember very well feeling really freaked out in 1986 after semi's. The intensity of the rivalry between 2-7 and Troopers was pretty strong, although it may have been pretty under the radar for the fans. I know it's been 22 years, but I can't help but worry that a Trooper from that year posting to this thread might stir up some unintended feelings. But I feel like it's my duty to pay homage to a truly great drum corps that continues to be recognized as a standard-bearer for the activity, both in its time and beyond.

With that said: THANK YOU to everyone who had a hand in the making of the 27th Lancers: those who marched, who shaped the shows, who made administrative decisions every year, who volunteered and poured sweat and love into every aspect of the organization.

I remember seeing 27ths drumline in 1983 and thinking that they were playing through the drum all the way to the center of the earth. It was intense, and very intimidating! Drew Lang (former Nighthawk snare drummer) went on to march with 2-7 and I'm sure he loved getting to be in the midst of all that power.

And now for a little uneasiness: I remember very well feeling really freaked out in 1986 after semi's. The intensity of the rivalry between 2-7 and Troopers was pretty strong, although it may have been pretty under the radar for the fans. I know it's been 22 years, but I can't help but worry that a Trooper from that year posting to this thread might stir up some unintended feelings. But I feel like it's my duty to pay homage to a truly great drum corps that continues to be recognized as a standard-bearer for the activity, both in its time and beyond.

With that said: THANK YOU to everyone who had a hand in the making of the 27th Lancers: those who marched, who shaped the shows, who made administrative decisions every year, who volunteered and poured sweat and love into every aspect of the organization.

Can't answer for the 1986 corps (Lancerlady??) but as a member of a couple of Revere corps over a twelve year period, I WORSHIPPED the Troopers. I remember at 10 years old asking my parents if I could move to Wyoming to audition. The rifle toss around the Drum Major, the Sunburst, "Ghost Riders"!! Jim Jones and his legacy live on. BTW, it's the only drum corps t-shirt I still own. Your humility speaks the stuff of legends, Terri. Rivalries may rear their heads - but look at the wonderful relationships alumni speak of (Bridgemen vs. 27th are best friends and were once bitter rivals). In the end, it's all about the experiences.

drmr27

John2780

UP4479

A27Lancer

O.P.

tgk2779

LancerFi

1975-27thLancer was older, & ferb27, his bro Keith, and Lancerlady, were younger - but we shared the same passion.

Legend, your passion and intense dedication to the Lancer family has always been inspirational. All of the good people you mentioned, and many more, are greater than friends, they ARE family.

The first time I ever the 27th Lancers was the very first time the corps competed on any field. It was Kelly field in Hyde Park, early June of 1968. I was hooked just watching them walk on to the field. It took me two years but I took that walk in 1970 with the Lancers onto the field in Bridgeport, CT. I remember hearing the opening gun then the next thing I remembered was the sound of my own heart beating, drowning out the cheers of the crowd.

The next time I felt like that was in Foxboro 24 years later.

Happy birthday all!