Favorite Weird Shows of All Time

Sweet Lou

Menagerie from Salem, Ind. (pick a year, any year). They were made fun of -- relentlessly -- for looking so odd, and doing so in a unisex way. Then Skylarks come out with a similar look for their '83 space show, and suddenly it's hip. (By the way, that's not a rip on Skylarks; that '83 show is one of my all-time favorites!) I remember Richard Trueblood feeling frustrated at how the jeers turned to cheers . . . but for somebody else.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1995 Alliance was the "Insanity" show - that was VERY strange... kind of creepy in a way.

1997 Northmont - awesome yet VERY risky and mildly frightening.

Edited by Will

No one on here probably ever saw it, but Mount Juliet High School (TN - Scholastic A) did an odd show in 1999 that featured a set of ( i think) 8 chopped off windmills - strange soundtrack, VERY talented young ladies - one of Tim Vaughn's best shows from his high schoolers.

If you can get a copy of the SCGC circuit championship videos and watch this show, it is one for the books.

Blessed Sacrament's 1998 show - Carrie- weird. just weird.... I, personally, did not care for it, but their ending flag feature was cool.

Chimeras 2000 - "Pure Imagination" a brilliant, all be it, bizarre show. WONDERUFL writing and choreography. One of my favoritie soundtracks ever in WGI.

I saw that Mt. Juliet show. They were oil rigs, actually.

I loved it when Sac spun 3 flags at a time that year. That was so cool!

AH! Oil rigs.. of course. I was thinking about how they got turned INTO windmills for the 1999 marching band season- a school in Kentucky used them.

Menagerie from Salem, Ind. (pick a year, any year). They were made fun of -- relentlessly -- for looking so odd, and doing so in a unisex way. Then Skylarks come out with a similar look for their '83 space show, and suddenly it's hip. (By the way, that's not a rip on Skylarks; that '83 show is one of my all-time favorites!) I remember Richard Trueblood feeling frustrated at how the jeers turned to cheers . . . but for somebody else.

:smile: agreed.such a shanda that this group and their designer have been largely unappreciated by so many.

menagerie were just too far ahead of their time.it took a talented visionary like richard trueblood to attempt to break free from the confines of the times.as a public service wgi focus should conduct and publish an in-depth interview with mr. trueblood.

Edited by dugg

Actually it was Jeff Namian that wrote that wacky, crazy show not Chris. I was there so I know firsthand. It was simply madness.

go get it on WGI ON DEMAND,"i'm a blond"!

hysterical!!!!absolutely brilliant!!! :smile:

jeff namian's foray into comedy! :smile:

i stand corrected...it was chris raichle who was responsible for the wacky maddness not jeff namian! :worthy:

Actually it was Jeff Namian that wrote that wacky, crazy show not Chris. I was there so I know firsthand. It was simply madness.

well thanks for the clarification!i was told two different things,it's nice to know from a firsthand source!i appreciate the correction! :smile:

did you know at that time we would be still talking about it today? :smile:

"patty who?"san jose raiders patty hearst show,1989!now that was weird,wild and wonderful! :smile:

inspired by the 1988 paul schrader film.........who can forget the loop where "tania" says "i am not being harmed or unnecessarily frightened"......composer scott johnson known for his pioneering use of recorded speech as musical melody.

people were dumbstruck and completely flabbergasted at the end of this show!it was FABULOUS! :worthy:

did you know you can get it via WGI ON DEMAND?it's a fact! :smile:

Edited by dugg