Help with a certain absurdly difficult rifle catch.

Sweet Lou

Yes.

Toss. Roll. Catch.

So I spent hours the other day progressing up to this technique, there is just one thing that prevents me from getting this. When I throw the rifle forwards it slants at such an angle that slows it's forward momentum so much it almost completely stops.

How do I toss the rifle forward and still keep it in the "toaster"?

Don't toss it "forward" Toss it normally. push your arm forward, not your hand. Does that make sense?

i recall the award winning cavaliers winter guard performing this audacious skill back in the early 80's much to the thrill of the screaming fans! :smile:

i recall the award winning cavaliers winter guard performing this audacious skill back in the early 80's much to the thrill of the screaming fans! :tongue:

Last winter, we had a sleepover for all the kids in the guard at the home of one of our instructor. We sat for hours watching old videos, so the kids could see the history of WGI, see some of their previous instructors in their heyday, and get a feel for their "roots". They LOVED the old Cavaliers shows with this trick (and many others) in them!! :thumbup::tongue:

Edited by justgin

Well all I can really suggest is making sure to flex your fingers so they go straight up to the sky... When we toss forward our tendency is to keep our fingers in line with our arm (like a salute) when the fingers have to be going straight up (like you're signaling "stop") when you release. This should help with the pitch and the boomerang tendancy.

Ok

this is how you do it (or at least how I learned how to do it)

1) Do the summersault only and mark (with tape) where you end when you come up from it

2) Try the toss - toss (as if tossing into the wind) and run forward while you toss in order to catch it at the tape mark

3) Combine both - but over toss the rifle - get it to land past the "mark" - so at first you'll toss, sumersault and the rifle will land further than where you are - this will allow you to get used to seeing it as you come out of the sumersault

4) Once you get used to spotting the rifle coming out of the sumersault - pull the toss back a bit so that it lands on your mark - by this point you should be able to catch it

My only warning is thatI caught it with my head a couple of times - you really have to roll fast so that you can spot it coming down ASAP

Later,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Ok

this is how you do it (or at least how I learned how to do it)

1) Do the summersault only and mark (with tape) where you end when you come up from it

2) Try the toss - toss (as if tossing into the wind) and run forward while you toss in order to catch it at the tape mark

3) Combine both - but over toss the rifle - get it to land past the "mark" - so at first you'll toss, sumersault and the rifle will land further than where you are - this will allow you to get used to seeing it as you come out of the sumersault

4) Once you get used to spotting the rifle coming out of the sumersault - pull the toss back a bit so that it lands on your mark - by this point you should be able to catch it

My only warning is thatI caught it with my head a couple of times - you really have to roll fast so that you can spot it coming down ASAP

Later,

Mike

This is very good instruction, and how I learn to do it. And dang Mike, at least you only caught it on the head a "couple" of times. I had a couple of hits just the first day of trying it. :happy: Another good tip is to make sure you can spot before the roll, and come out of the roll looking up so you can spot it again. During the roll, tuck yourself tight, as it shortens your roll, as gives you momentum through your roll.

Edited by deftguy

Yes.

Toss. Roll. Catch.

So I spent hours the other day progressing up to this technique, there is just one thing that prevents me from getting this. When I throw the rifle forwards it slants at such an angle that slows it's forward momentum so much it almost completely stops.

This has stitches written all over it . . .. :happy:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Yes.

Toss. Roll. Catch.

Check out the link below. This is how we did the roll over. What we did was figured out how far each person would roll. Then you move that far away from a wall. You throw towards the wall to get used to how far to throw. Also, the reverse toss makes it much easier and much more graceful.