No DCI Annual Meeting This Year

Just saw a communication from DCI that states there will be no "convention" this year. Also stated that there were only two rule proposals that are not anything new, just clarifications of existing rules.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess all that extra rent DCI was paying for the extra IN location, plus the Addison and Indy offices are finally catching up with them

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. They try to hold the line on costs, the eliminate an obviously costly meeting for a year, and somehow that's a reflection of something negative? It's actually good business. No rules proposals would mean that there's no real reason for one of their rules congresses. So, save the cash in these turbulent financial times. I think sometimes we forget that DCI is a non-profit youth organization without an unlimited funding source, and is in business to provide a tour for the corps in their association. Anything more than that is gravy... and appreciated by at least SOME of us.

guess all that extra rent DCI was paying for the extra IN location, plus the Addison and Indy offices are finally catching up with them

...or...they are choosing to be fiscally responsible and not spend scarce resources on an event that is apparently not needed this year.

remember there were plenty of more events at the winter meetings than simply the rules issues...workshops, board meetings, networking with show sponsors.

financial or not, my statement stands

It just sounded like someone with a little inside information wanted to let us all know he had a little inside information. Keep on standing brother. Fight the power. :tongue:

No rules proposals would mean that there's no real reason for one of their rules congresses. So, save the cash in these turbulent financial times.

I guess that explains why the directors did not sponsor my rule change proposal:

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: Repeal Electronic Instruments and Amplification of Brass

DESCRIPTION: Rule change proposals passed in January of 2008 allowing electronic instruments and amplification of brass would be repealed.

PURPOSE: (Why make this change-what are the benefits?)

Repealing these rules now will enable corps to focus on today’s financial challenges without the added burden of new equipment purchases. The rule changes could be resubmitted for consideration at any time in the future, with the expectation that when the financial situation has improved, they would likely be ratified once again.

EDUCATIONAL IMPACT: (How does this benefit the students educationally?)

No impact, unless a corps chooses to direct more funds toward educational staffing instead of electronic instrument purchases.

CREATIVE IMPACT: (How does this affect the creative aspects of the activity? How does this affect designers/instructors?)

No impact. Creative staff would design shows within the same parameters as they have in 2008 and prior seasons.

FISCAL IMPACT: (How does this financially affect individual corps and the DCI organization?)

Both DCI and the participating corps face a uniquely challenging financial climate right now. Record fuel costs are impacting every corps budget, while also likely creating a dampening effect on event ticket sales. Now is not the time to introduce rule changes that involve additional costs for new equipment. Repealing these rule changes will allow corps to focus their efforts on current financial issues without concern of suffering competitively from failing to “keep up with the Joneses”.

AUDIENCE IMPACT: (How will this affect our audience and their perceptions of the activity?)

Expected loss of existing fans opposed to these changes would be avoided.

SHOW PROMOTER IMPACT: (How will this affect the show promoters-financially and logistically as it relates to contest production?)

No impact (except for possible effect on audience size described above).

LOGISTICS IMPACT: (How will this impact the operations of the individual drum corps and the DCI organization?)

No impact.

JUDGING IMPACT: (How does this impact the adjudication process and individual judge?)

No impact.

Kind of ironic, though, if you ask me.

What extra rent? My understanding is that IU provided the facility without charge, due to some past considerations from when Star had use of the site. They only used one free year of ten they had available, so IU donated the site to DCI last season. DCI did pay the people who were working on building the new stands...for the time they lost due to not being able to continue during the event, from what I have heard.