Americanos still hanging on... Barely

Since banging your heads against the wall trying to fit into somebody else's idea of playing the competitive game doesn't work, go back to the basics that used to work for you. Do the Marty's Goldenaires thing. Sell the trumpets and find used bugles, recruit beginners, drop the fake-symphonic "we're so musical" routine and get good and loud quick with the easy/fun-to-learn stuff like "Mambo #5" and "La Bamba". Get out there and do good-paying parades and spend some of that money on parties/picnics after each one . Capitalize on the Spanish theme as you used to, and soon you'll have a winner image and again be locally famous and in demand in no time flat. Work within your resources. Your staff and alumni hasn't told you all this?

in other words....rent a time warp machine. 1970s here we come!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a couple million dollars?

that's a start.

It doesn't take a couple million dollars to fundraise for a few years with a small group at parades . . . then find some used equipment and play some local community events and parades as you grow and . . .oh, wait you're talking about DCI and a national tour!

Well, then, maybe, since DCI's national touring model is working out so well financially for everyone . . .but I think DCI is the least of their worries right now.

how many corps now compete in the SDCA?

how many competitions have they had to date?

Is DCI now somehow the totality of drum corps in the world, that no one else need apply to fill in the niches it doesn't cover? Hardly.

The idea of SDCA is valid for small units and, from the sound of it, gives a place for performance, growth and feedback at much smaller size levels . . . much moreso than the "you get to be first on the field at shows with fifteen members, and look, there's no one in the stands" playground of starting out in Open Class . . .and, after, all a circuit has to start somewhere.

DCI got its shot in 1972. Who's to say SDCA isn't just as valid?

It's hardly 1970's to suggest that instead of heading towards "Lights! Camera! Indianapolis!" they try to . . .god forbid! . . .start anew as a locally based parade unit that builds goodwill in the community, performs at local functions, etc and comes back slowly but surely.

Playing parade tunes and other things that people know is an easy in to toe-tapping and community recognition when you work with a limited membership.

Ten brass players can make it through the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann" a lot easier than they can Professor Pretentious McWindEnsemble's "Poco Interpretatdos: Tutti Songforms in Z Flat".

Think that their local town city council member or local corporate donor would care that they aren't playing wind ensemble charts?

Not necessary. Chicago is a 4 hour drive south, Milwaukee 2. St. Patties Day Parades pay fairly well in those two cities alone. Offer as a pep-band on loan for when UW-GB is out for winter break. March local Memorial/Independence/Labor Day parades.

Hell, look what the Govies have done in the last 15 years. From a predominantly parade corps to DCA A-Class Champs. It is possible. You just have to have the long-term planning and management that will allow for fielding a solvent organization.

Not necessary. Chicago is a 4 hour drive south, Milwaukee 2. St. Patties Day Parades pay fairly well in those two cities alone. Offer as a pep-band on loan for when UW-GB is out for winter break. March local Memorial/Independence/Labor Day parades.

Hell, look what the Govies have done in the last 15 years. From a predominantly parade corps to DCA A-Class Champs. It is possible. You just have to have the long-term planning and management that will allow for fielding a solvent organization.

That answered a question I raised in the Jr Scouts thread, thanks. In the NE there is a reason why 4th of July is also known as "Paying the Bus Bill" day for some corps. Has a lot to do with the 5 parades around Baltimore that day that start at staggered times.

Never knew that about that 80+ year old (aka Govies) either.... More proof that you don't have to be hufe to be entertaining.

It doesn't take a couple million dollars to fundraise for a few years with a small group at parades . . . then find some used equipment and play some local community events and parades as you grow and . . .oh, wait you're talking about DCI and a national tour!

Great! I look forward to this new breed of Fox Valley kid that the new version of the Americanos will be able to recruit.

Well, then, maybe, since DCI's national touring model is working out so well financially for everyone . . .but I think DCI is the least of their worries right now.
What was wrong with the Americanos can be narrowed down to two people.
Is DCI now somehow the totality of drum corps in the world, that no one else need apply to fill in the niches it doesn't cover? Hardly.

The idea of SDCA is valid for small units and, from the sound of it, gives a place for performance, growth and feedback at much smaller size levels . . . much moreso than the "you get to be first on the field at shows with fifteen members, and look, there's no one in the stands" playground of starting out in Open Class . . .and, after, all a circuit has to start somewhere.

DCI got its shot in 1972. Who's to say SDCA isn't just as valid?

We can't judge validity because the only voices supporting this mystic association aren't telling the truth. The hype is filled with "we've had conversations with X, Y and Z corps. The SDCA was still hyping Cap Sound on their list months after their director resigned. I asked two legitimate questions and I guess I will have to wait for any kind of answer.

It's hardly 1970's to suggest that instead of heading towards "Lights! Camera! Indianapolis!" they try to . . .god forbid! . . .start anew as a locally based parade unit that builds goodwill in the community, performs at local functions, etc and comes back slowly but surely.

Playing parade tunes and other things that people know is an easy in to toe-tapping and community recognition when you work with a limited membership.

Ten brass players can make it through the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann" a lot easier than they can Professor Pretentious McWindEnsemble's "Poco Interpretatdos: Tutti Songforms in Z Flat".

Think that their local town city council member or local corporate donor would care that they aren't playing wind ensemble charts?

Well, now I take back the comments regarding the 70s...this sounds absolutely 50s era. Again, I'll wait until all the kids come rushing to join. Why aren't VFWs and American Legions rushing back to sponsor corps again? Sounds like right in their niche. And, I can't believe how many communities have tons of Boy Scout troops....Explorer Posts...yet, no massive new drum corps neighborhood movement.

You wanna know why? Just because it is still a fun thing for us olde phartes....it doesn't mean these young whippersnappers wanna spend their weekends and two nights a week to prepare to march...wait for it...in a parade.

But I soundly reserve the right to be called on this when this massive movement of neighborhood corps begins. To me this smacks of one of those..."Well, it could happen?" and then there's that line about the flying monkeys and the smelly of all orafices.

Well, now I take back the comments regarding the 70s...this sounds absolutely 50s era. Again, I'll wait until all the kids come rushing to join. Why aren't VFWs and American Legions rushing back to sponsor corps again? Sounds like right in their niche. And, I can't believe how many communities have tons of Boy Scout troops....Explorer Posts...yet, no massive new drum corps neighborhood movement.

Just to throw in historical perspective for a minute main reason for lack of AL/VFW/Scout participation anymore is cost. There were more Posts then and more members with time to help raise money and work with whatever group the Post sponsored (corps, baseball teams, drill teams, etc). Been looking for years for raw numbers to back this up but will have to ask the AL and VFW if they are willing to provide a yearly breakdown. (American Legion magazine used to do this but no longer have the back issues.) Simply put the AL and VFW have been in a one way decline since the WWII vets starting getting too old to be that active. And God knows the Scouting movement isn't close to what it was when I was a member in the '60s. Again Troops I know that have disbanded have been due to lack of sponsor money and volunteer help (mostly city Troops here).

Also used to be a lot cheaper to run a corps, cheaper instruments, smaller corps, no touring for the "local" corps. Hades, before 1962 or so there weren't even contra$ basse$.

Well there's another post-retirement activity for me. Comparing Post numbers/membership/average age and rough cost of having a corps seperated by decade. Wonder if being a SAL would help getting the data.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Just to throw in historical perspective for a minute main reason for lack of AL/VFW/Scout participation anymore is cost. There were more Posts then and more members with time to help raise money and work with whatever group the Post sponsored (corps, baseball teams, drill teams, etc). Been looking for years for raw numbers to back this up but will have to ask the AL and VFW if they are willing to provide a yearly breakdown. (American Legion magazine used to do this but no longer have the back issues.) Simply put the AL and VFW have been in a one way decline since the WWII vets starting getting too old to be that active. And God knows the Scouting movement isn't close to what it was when I was a member in the '60s. Again Troops I know that have disbanded have been due to lack of sponsor money and volunteer help (mostly city Troops here).

Also used to be a lot cheaper to run a corps, cheaper instruments, smaller corps, no touring for the "local" corps. Hades, before 1962 or so there weren't even contra$ basse$.

Well there's another post-retirement activity for me. Comparing Post numbers/membership/average age and rough cost of having a corps seperated by decade. Wonder if being a SAL would help getting the data.

So in essence, what you are saying Jim is that running a youth activity, be it a Scout troop or a drum corps is expensive. I would say this regarding the VFW....they slit their own throats when the WWII did not fully embrace the Viet Nam war veteran. I wonder if the Gulf War veterans are finding any home in their local VFW.

So in essence, what you are saying Jim is that running a youth activity, be it a Scout troop or a drum corps is expensive. I would say this regarding the VFW....they slit their own throats when the WWII did not fully embrace the Viet Nam war veteran. I wonder if the Gulf War veterans are finding any home in their local VFW.

Expensive or getting even more expensive is one side of it. The other side is the sponsor being less and less able to pay for things even if the cost did not go up. I totally forgot about the explosion of litigation these days when insurance and worries about getting sued jacked up the costs as well. Man, don't think I signed a liability release until 1977 or 1978. Thing was a piece of xeroxed paper and not even witnessed. And for the corps/churchs/sponsors in the cities there's this whole "decline of the cities" since the late 50s that killed a lot of groups that helped youth.

Also heard the same about the AL and Viet vets. My dad was a Korea vet and reading between the lines he was welcomed into the local post more because he was a local kid and not because he was in the "Forgotten War".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What was wrong with the Americanos can be narrowed down to two people.

. . .ah, there's the rub of all this: all other arguments aside, I suppose you're going to now regale us with how you would have worked around the Americanos obstacles in a way that these two folks didn't.

. . .ah, there's the rub of all this: all other arguments aside, I suppose you're going to now regale us with how you would have worked around the Americanos obstacles in a way that these two folks didn't.

nope...the wrath of God awaits these two individuals for the damage they caused on this organization. They know already how what they did was wrong...and illegal...but that didn't stop them.

Let me say this...I just wish bingo receipts were under more scrutinization over the past ten years or so....that would have made a great deal of sense...not only here, but with many not-for-profits.