Americanos still hanging on... Barely

So in essence, what you are saying Jim is that running a youth activity, be it a Scout troop or a drum corps is expensive. I would say this regarding the VFW....they slit their own throats when the WWII did not fully embrace the Viet Nam war veteran. I wonder if the Gulf War veterans are finding any home in their local VFW.

Completely off topic, but I wanted to answer your question Tom.

Yes, we are. And so are the Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, of which I am also a part. But it still will never be the same as it was. The sense of community is now being filled by forums such as these. Blame it on a different generation...

However, I have seen some traction in VFW/AL posts being interested in community-based all-age corps. Unfortunately, about all they have to offer are facilities. There's not much money out there.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since banging your heads against the wall trying to fit into somebody else's idea of playing the competitive game doesn't work, go back to the basics that used to work for you. Do the Marty's Goldenaires thing. Sell the trumpets and find used bugles, recruit beginners, drop the fake-symphonic "we're so musical" routine and get good and loud quick with the easy/fun-to-learn stuff like "Mambo #5" and "La Bamba". Get out there and do good-paying parades and spend some of that money on parties/picnics after each one . Capitalize on the Spanish theme as you used to, and soon you'll have a winner image and again be locally famous and in demand in no time flat. Work within your resources. Your staff and alumni hasn't told you all this?

I Knew this I was wondering for awhile if I was the only one. As far as staff goes, there isnt any. The Alumni, who are invovled still think that DCI still uses bugles, most dont even know about the Americanos sitiuation. IF a parade corps started It would be done pretty close to how you described it above, The only exeption would be that the progam would involve local schools. My idea would be for it to be fun and educational. It would also be a program taht band directors in the area wouldnt mind sending there students to. My fear with the alumni Association is that people will back out seeing that there isnt a corps to support. Now the biggest issue that I am facing is finding support to do all of this. Currently We have contacted Alumni about the Alumni Association, and have even planned a reunion but for some reason we are seeing that people are stayng back. The Americanos will go no where if we cant find people who are modivated in getting the ultimate goal accomplished. I am seeing alot of people wanting to see the Americanos back, but no one really willing to step up to the plate to get things back up and running again. By no means am I say that the Americanos will be back in DCI and that is something that I wont promise will ever happen. A solid plan and people willing to get there hands dirty will go along way.

What does SDCA stand for? Is it just a local circuit, or a national?

I Knew this I was wondering for awhile if I was the only one. As far as staff goes, there isnt any. The Alumni, who are invovled still think that DCI still uses bugles, most dont even know about the Americanos sitiuation. IF a parade corps started It would be done pretty close to how you described it above, The only exeption would be that the progam would involve local schools. My idea would be for it to be fun and educational. It would also be a program taht band directors in the area wouldnt mind sending there students to. My fear with the alumni Association is that people will back out seeing that there isnt a corps to support. Now the biggest issue that I am facing is finding support to do all of this. Currently We have contacted Alumni about the Alumni Association, and have even planned a reunion but for some reason we are seeing that people are stayng back. The Americanos will go no where if we cant find people who are modivated in getting the ultimate goal accomplished. I am seeing alot of people wanting to see the Americanos back, but no one really willing to step up to the plate to get things back up and running again. By no means am I say that the Americanos will be back in DCI and that is something that I wont promise will ever happen. A solid plan and people willing to get there hands dirty will go along way.

The dysfunction among this particular corps over the years really adds to your dilemma. Sure, alums are going to stand back...perhaps cheer from the sidelines.

Let's start with the reasons...

at times, this organization has shunned alums. Didn't want them involved. Had very antagonistic and heated discussions with them. Basically, dismissed them as far as their involvement.

Now, a fairly recent alum and a few folks want to get an alumni group started. To rekindle old relationships? To perhaps put an alumni corps together for DCI? Nope. To reach into their pockets to support a parade corps. A shadow of this former organization. People generally don't want to support an "in name only" organization that does not resemble the years they were involved.

Also, the drum corps experience is unique. This may come as a shock to folks, but many FMM don't get all notalgic for their corps mates or marching again, etc. It's a special breed that still does. And that's not what I see offered here...it's give us money instead of what can we...do for you.

Also, some relationships are meant to be lifelong...some relationships come because of some reason for them to be...still others last for a season or two. It doesn't mean those relationships are not important...it just means that very few last a lifetime.

Completely off topic, but I wanted to answer your question Tom.

Yes, we are. And so are the Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, of which I am also a part. But it still will never be the same as it was. The sense of community is now being filled by forums such as these. Blame it on a different generation...

However, I have seen some traction in VFW/AL posts being interested in community-based all-age corps. Unfortunately, about all they have to offer are facilities. There's not much money out there.

Well, even a facility. if it is offered free, could serve as a rallying point. Or even a free place for sectionals. I have heard that some groups have to pay for their rehearsal sites. Maybe do a two year fund raiser and target it at hiring some "name" staff at the end of it, as a visionary approach. Well, I'm not the expert. Just offering some thoughts. Certainly appears as if the Americanos have a theme they can promote with that uniform.

• 2 weeks later...