DVD content help, part 2

More DVD lineup advice  

40 members have voted

1. 1. You just finished showing Phantom 2008 to your friend who gave you one and only one chance to sell drum corps. What should you show next? Which will make your friends want to see more?

• Cavaliers - Drill, baby, drill
    • Crown - Music, baby, music
    • SCV - Vanguard, baby, Vanguard

For those people following the project, I am working on a DVD consolidating shows from the 2008 season that sell the activity to new viewers. The previous poll regarded which final show I should include in the collection with PR, SCV, Bluecoats, and Crown. After much consideration, I have selected Cavaliers 2008 as the last show because it is the best representation of what the visual can do in drum corps.

Now I'm at another crossroads. Originally, I had decided to show SCV after Phantom. I decided this because I felt that SCV had the best show on video of the remaining options. However, I am rethinking my decision. Bluecoats will be last on the DVD, because I think that they're a great ending to the collection (followed my Troopers because I'm alumni and these people would be my friends). I'll be showing Spartacus first, because it has the best chance of hooking a new viewer on first viewing (something that I think the usually fractious DCP can agree on). What show should be second on the DVD?

The options:

CAVALIERS - It's the best show this summer in terms of drill. The second half of the show is amazing, but imho the first half is severely lacking in interest. I accept the possibility that I could be wrong, or the Samurai aspect outweighs the first six minutes.

CROWN - Best music option out of the three. If they're going to keep watching after Phantom, then they'll segue right into the OMGLOUD opening statement. But is it too similar?

SCV - Like I said, I think it's the best show on video. However, I could be letting my love of the dissonant and creative cloud my judgment. It's not the cleanest show in the world, but it holds up as a whole.

If you only had one chance, which of the three would you show after Phantom?

It would depend what the friend responded to in Phantom's show.

If he expressed amazement at the intricate marching, or to the drama, then Cavaliers. If he expressed amazement at how well Phantom played and sounded, then Crown. If he yawned at the whole thing, football, or call 911 and ask them to take his pulse.

Or generally, if he likes pops type classical music, Crown. If he doesn't, Cavaliers.

I voted Crown but should have voted Cavaliers. If you're going to show both, do Cavaliers first to change the pace of the DVD, and let Crown draw your audience back in further back in the collection.

This is why I voted Cavies as well. My initial personal reaction is Crown, but the wow factor of how Cavies do drill is a great way to change the focus from sensory overload (PR) to "ok, this is cool to watch."

This is difficult to answer. I think it depends on the kind of person you're showing it to.. I occasionally try to show my fellow trumpet pals all the drum corps awesomeness, but they just go "meh.. i like marching bands better.."

Who said I would show Phantom as my one and only chance?

Anyways, I'd go with Cavies for the wow factor. Or probably Blue Devils. Cause they had better music than Cavies or Crown. SCV would work pretty well too.

I voted Cavies, because their show has a lot of really cool visual things to it that anyone can appreciate. My roommate that has no idea what drum corps is, saw me watching their show and immediately got sucked into it, because of the crazy visual aspect.

I also just like the Cavies show better.