Good Luck Capital Regiment

Yeah, but if a corps is not getting paid for performances anyway, what matter does it make if they take an open spot on a show lineup? It's no more skin from the promoter, in fact...another corps would look like a bonus if they were small enough to fit into a shared housing thing. Ah well, time will tell.

Open Class corps do get paid at shows where World Class corps are...it's the Open Class only shows where no payment is given. And, while you and I totally agree on the concept that a promoter should be very happy to be able to add another corps, the truth is that a lot of promoters have a strict limit to the number of corps that they'll take, and shared housing is getting tougher and tougher as more World Class corps are being divas and refusing to share. And, since most Open Class corps are housed in smaller facilities (Elementary/Middle Schools) with less room, sharing is often limited there, too.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CR is not a new group without solid fundraising. They have a solid, established bingo game that they have been operating for nearly 15 years. I have a feeling that many people on this forum will be surprised by the outcome of DCI's evaluation. The reality of the 2006 situation and what actually led to the corps taking time off is very different than what was reported here. CR has things well in hand. I have no doubt that the corps will be doing a full tour.

First off, let me preface this by saying I'm quite happy that CR is coming back, and that I truly wish the best for the organization.

That being said, financial issues aren't the only factor in DCI's evaluation process, though they are high on the proverbial food chain. A corps' operations are thoroughly examined as well and, in CR's case, 2006 is being scrutinized quite extensively. Knowing that a lot has changed with CR since then is admirable, and DCI will definitely judge that favorably. However, if CR is going to plan a full tour, DCI will ask for guarantees that the circumstances surrounding the 2006 season will not happen again.

Now, while I wasn't involved with CR in anyway in 2006, I have spoken with members who marched that year, as well as one of the folks DCI sent in during the season to monitor what was going on. I sincerely hope that everyone at CR has taken the neccessary steps to make the corps a strong, vibrantly functioning organization.

Open Class corps do get paid at shows where World Class corps are...it's the Open Class only shows where no payment is given.

Does this apply to shows where there are several Open Class corps but only one World Class? I am thinking about Pacific Crest's SoCal shows and Surf's home show. Do DCA corps get paid at World Class shows as well?

DCI takes into account the corps being evaluated/re-evaluated when they put together the schedule. However, DCI will purposely not put new/re-emerging corps into a large number of shows because they don't want to put a strain on those groups in the first year.

That is not necessarily true. Every corps situation is unique, and DCI evaluates them on a case-by-case basis. If a re-emerging corps has the money and the infrastructure, they can get a lot of shows regardless of whether they are world-class ('07 Troopers) or not ('02 Magic).

For that matter, just owing to geography, Capital Regiment could make it to a lot of shows without being "on tour" continuously.

I would figure that CR wouldn't be in any more than maybe 15-16 shows (and that's taking into account remaining availability, and shows that CR wouldn't be allowed into because of DCI's new rules on participating in Majors/Premier events).

What new rules on major events?

The latest new major events "rules" will be coming out shortly......and many people will not be happy about it.

That is not necessarily true. Every corps situation is unique, and DCI evaluates them on a case-by-case basis. If a re-emerging corps has the money and the infrastructure, they can get a lot of shows regardless of whether they are world-class ('07 Troopers) or not ('02 Magic).

For that matter, just owing to geography, Capital Regiment could make it to a lot of shows without being "on tour" continuously.

Troopers '07 was a special case. They were given the number of performances they had because DCI was assisting them in a number of ways in order to get them back on to the field. According to Dan Acheson, DCI pretty much had a vested interest in making sure the Troopers came back to DCI competition. There has been no other move to support the returns of CR, Magic, or any other corps.

The new rules on major events are pretty simple: Open Class/all-age class corps will not be allowed to participate at a major/premier event unless that event in in the corps' hometown...and, then only as exhibition. Of course, DCI has already violated that edict by allowing Corps Vets (all-age) and Legends (Open Class) into the Orlando show, and allowing Spokane Thunder into Denton, TX (a show that isn't a Major, per se, but was noted by DCI as being a World-Class only show...a move that has pretty much given the royal screw to Revolution - note that they aren't in any Texas show except San Antonio).

Troopers '07 was a special case. They were given the number of performances they had because DCI was assisting them in a number of ways in order to get them back on to the field. According to Dan Acheson, DCI pretty much had a vested interest in making sure the Troopers came back to DCI competition. There has been no other move to support the returns of CR, Magic, or any other corps.

The new rules on major events are pretty simple: Open Class/all-age class corps will not be allowed to participate at a major/premier event unless that event in in the corps' hometown...and, then only as exhibition. Of course, DCI has already violated that edict by allowing Corps Vets (all-age) and Legends (Open Class) into the Orlando show, and allowing Spokane Thunder into Denton, TX (a show that isn't a Major, per se, but was noted by DCI as being a World-Class only show...a move that has pretty much given the royal screw to Revolution - note that they aren't in any Texas show except San Antonio).

Spokane Thunder is not on the schedule for the Denton show any longer. The only non-World Class corps is Frontier but I would assume that it is their show.