Lower tier WC corps 16-23

Don't know if you caught this, but Scott Johnson is arranging for Mandarins in '09. Granted, that's only one part of the design team, but he can probably deliver a product that can compete at this level. (/understatement)

Oh no I saw.

Scott Johnson is a a great guy and he knows the drum corps game, but a great designer he is not. There is a reason why he does not write the drum book at devils.

There is a reason why he does not write the drum book at devils.

Then why is Scott Johnson listed as a "percussion arranger" on the BD website and in a whole bunch of the DCI yearbooks from the last 3 years (I couldn't find the rest of my yearbooks) or so?

Edited by JonCordell

Then why is Scott Johnson listed as a "percussion arranger" on the BD website and in a whole bunch of the DCI yearbooks from the last 3 years (I couldn't find the rest of my yearbooks) or so?

Dave Glyde writes the lions share of the book.

RE: Surf,

Funny how a common thought is that WC is so much different than OC. Drum corps is drum corps. They'll have a few more members (hopefully) and the compettition will be stiffer, but other than that what is the real difference? Bigger tour? Different politics?

Size is not an issue... as someone else said, they had a full corps last year... bigger than some lower WC. Touring may hurt - from the website it looks like they are still on a regional tour model of 2 tours as in years past - much like Academy, PC. It would be nice if they came out good enough to start all of the negative talk like Academy did in '07. I'm sure they would only embrace that.

The lower tier of WC seems to be shaping up for 2009.

these corps usually do not have a great % to make top 12. But you never know.

Rank them.

Top 2 make Semi's.

Cascades

Mandarins

Pioneer

Capital Regiment

Troopers

Pacific Crest

Academy

Surf

16. Troopers

17. PC

18. Academy

19. JS

20. Pio

21. Scades

22. Mandarins

23. Cap Reg

I'll wait until they all make their show announcements before I wade into this swamp.

- Surf has a chance, but WC is a lot different ball game than OC. It will take some time to get into the groove there.

Funny how people forget the recent past. Blue Stars came in 3rd in 2005 Div. II/III (OC) finals, and then placed 14th in 2006 Div. I (WC) semis. They then placed 14th in 2007 and 8th in 2008. The Academy placed 1st in 2006 Div. II/III (OC) finals, and then placed 13th in 2007 Div. I (WC) semis. Do not assume that it takes as long to move up through the teens as it does in the top 6 or 7. Surf has had a solid program for quite a while and could knock off quite a few of the "big boys" this summer. Time will tell...........