What the blazes is goin' on?

Most of the people I know treat the Finals city trip as a "family reunion". There might be some tourist/sight seeing type activities but mostly it is about hanging out with each other and taking in some great drum corps.

We just don't spend that much time at cultural spots - unless you call the Rock Bottom a cultural spot. :whip:

I've got to agree with that. I've had a few people who have complained about the number of touristy things they perceive around Indianapolis. I've always asked them if they were at Worlds in Madison. When told, "yes," I asked them if they went to House on the Rock or Wisconsin Dells. I was always told, "no." I then mentioned that those were the top two tourist destinations in Wisconsin, each within an hour of Madison. I then asked them what they did in Madison and was invariably told, "We watched drum corps rehearse." I couldn't help but ask, "You can't do that in Indianapolis?"

I know there are some that probably did go to House on the Rock or the Wisconsin Dells, but not as many as I would expect.

[in big announcer voice] This message brought to you by the Greater Indianapolis Convention and Visitor's Bureau[/voice]

Be sure to tip your tour guide. :whip:

I've got to agree with that. I've had a few people who have complained about the number of touristy things they perceive around Indianapolis. I've always asked them if they were at Worlds in Madison. When told, "yes," I asked them if they went to House on the Rock or Wisconsin Dells. I was always told, "no." I then mentioned that those were the top two tourist destinations in Wisconsin, each within an hour of Madison. I then asked them what they did in Madison and was invariably told, "We watched drum corps rehearse." I couldn't help but ask, "You can't do that in Indianapolis?"

I know there are some that probably did go to House on the Rock or the Wisconsin Dells, but not as many as I would expect.

How many people don't go to championships because there is nothing for their non-drum corps spouses/family members to do? I would think that is a more important question for DCI to ask. Is this part of the reason for the higher attendance in 2007?

How many people don't go to championships because there is nothing for their non-drum corps spouses/family members to do? I would think that is a more important question for DCI to ask. Is this part of the reason for the higher attendance in 2007?

IMO - very few people who want to go to Championships would choose to opt out of going just because they have to find alternative activities for their non-drum corps people.

As for 2007 - I think big attendance in Pasadena had more to do with pent up demand west of the Rockies than any other factor.

if their spouses dont enjoy drum coprs, then they failed!

but if your gonna be there a few days you might as well have the option to go do something else

I've got two words for you: Road Trip! For us, it's not so much in Indianapolis, but the journey to Indy where we'll do most of our sight-seeing. Leaving from Tennessee, we plan on stopping by Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN (not in the same day) before arriving in Indy. I hear there's a dinosaur park on the way in Kentucky, too...

...Nah!

If I may add another scenerio. What if I ask for Friday off 3 weeks before finals, fly to Indy, buy one ticket, see finals and get back Sunday ready for work Monday morning? Can it be done? Depart Edmonton, arrive Indy with the easiest route from a to b plus 2 nights in a hotel and no car :)