Spokane/Cascades Merger

The merger between the Cascades and Thunder is a great opportunity for the fans and members of Northwest drum corps to "make the long haul" together. Take a moment to think of all the drum corps that have come and gone throughout the area (if you do your research, you'll find that there has been nearly 40 corps throughout the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada). What exists today? Why are there so few corps in existence today?

For the 2009 summer season, DCI has the following number of corps listed for summer competition:

22 World Class Corps

24 Open Class Corps (with Spokane in it's presumed inactive status)

Here is the breakdown of the corps during the 1999 drum corps season:

21 Division 1 Corps (present World Class) competed at nationals

42 Division 2/3 Corps (present Open class) competed at nationals

29 Division 2/3 Corps participated in Regional Tours, but not at nationals

As you can see, there is a great decrease in the past decade alone, not to mention the past 40 or 50 years. Again, ask yourself why are there fewer drum corps? Is it lack of demand for the activity, staffing problems, financial constraints, or other problems?

Having participated with both the Thunder and Cascades, my only hope is that members of both organizations help sustain the longevity of drum corps in the northwest! It's time for the drum corps members, parents, veterans and fans to to show their commitment to this newly created union, and make the Northwest a viable, competitive force to be nationally recognized on a yearly basis.

This merger is not a hostile takeover, it's an act of sustainability for the activity. It's not an attempt to make the Thunder a feeder corps. How many people do you know from Spokane, Seattle, Portland, or the Tri-Cities who have gone on to march somewhere else in the "big leagues?" The Thunder will become no more of a feeder corps than any other Northwest Drum Corps has ever been. Many members from the Thunder, Cascades, Spartans, Renaissance, Crusaders, Marauders have gone off to march to march in World Class drum corps.

Thank you to Sal Leone and Rich Harvey (along with their respective booster organizations, staff, and members) for taking a giant step towards sustaining drum corps in the Northwest. Drum corps in the Northwest have had wonderful glimpses of success (Oregon's Division 3 Championship, Cascades march to becoming the Northwest's first and only World finalist corps, and Spokane's expeditious entrance into Open Class finals). Hopefully this merger will create a journey of many emotional and competitive successes in the future.

For the members of the Cascades and Thunder:

It's time to make new traditions, time to make new friends, to put the egos aside and face the new season together. What has drum corps taught us? Drum Corps is surely about playing an instrument, traveling the country and spending time with our friends. But, drum corps is more about teaching us about ourselves, commitment, learning to deal with adversity, teamwork, improving our work ethic as well friendship. Remember, hardware is only icing on the cake.

For the veterans and age outs of Cascades, Thunder and other Northwest Drumcorps:

Take the time to donate, whether it's financially, or volunteering your time. Think of all the times the corps needed more people to carry equipment, repair instruments and vehicles, cook food, alter and sew uniforms, etc. Think of all the equipment that needed to be fixed or replaced, but there were no funds to do so. Show your appreciation of your drum corps experience by helping the next generation of drum corps members. Don't express your frustration or anger towards this new venture, as it is not helpful, but in fact detrimental to the activity.

Let's all hope the 2009 is a successful one for these two corps!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said NWPercussionist.

I hope that every Current Marching Member of the Spokane Thunder will be at Mead HS this coming Saturday. The merger of Cascades and Thunder was made after much discussion and thought. It all boiled down to YOU the Kids being able to continue Marching within the Drum Corps Community of the Northwest. It wasn't a plot to take over Thunder. Remember that Cascades took a season off and are making a comeback. Next season will be Thunders turn. You know that anyone who has been involved with Thunder will make sure that every effort is made to make it happen.

I once said while we were in Madison for finals, "I will always bleed Red and Green, but my Heart is with Thunder". I mean that. I also want to say that you only have a very short time to march in Drum Corps and a life time to regret NOT marching.

I'll see y'all Saturday.

Maggie

I stand by my previous statements. It makes little sense that a corps on the upswing with no evident financial trouble has reason to merge with anyone. I've come across further information that I will not repeat out of respect for the organization and in hopes that it can hopefully regroup next year. All I have left to say is the merger could have been avoided, and the ball was dropped.

As for the lack of Drum corps in the Northwest, it is because there is a lack of competitive corps. The Northwest has to retain its talent in order to compete, but all the talent runs other places to play for a finalist corps. Why would someone from California come up north to play if they have several choices in their backyard to play for, including several World Class and Open Class finalists/winners. Until the NW corps aren't just a spring board to get into a finalist corps or get recruitment outside the area, I don't see anything changing. The best way to do that is with hype and a competitive corps. Thunder had both going for it, with hopes for competing for the Open Class title this year. This is a serious blow to the momentum it had.

Again, I hope both corps will come out strong after this and prove me dead wrong, but I'm truly fearful of the outcome

Edited by Thunder_1M1

A little background knowledge for those not familiar with Northwest corps:

One of the big problems for the merger is the financial history of the Seattle Cascades. The Cascades had been in massive amounts of debt and operating at a loss from at least 2003 onwards. In 2006, the organization was prepared to fold following the summer tour, but then the staff from the Oregon Crusaders jumped to the Cascades with the plan of making Oregon Crusaders the Cascades' feeder corps and making the Cascades the primary competitive Northwest Corps. However, for a variety of reasons, this didn't work out. The Oregon Crusaders nearly folded, but were brought back with new leadership and instructional staff and have enjoyed some competitive success(5th place D3 2007, 4th place Open Class 2008). The Cascades struggled in 2007 and did not field in 2008. A good deal of the difficulty they had in 2008 was that their program management was poor(think food) during the 2007 season and as a result the necessary core of veteran membership didn't appear in 2008.

Spokane Thunder, on the other hand, has been steadily growing since their start in 2004 and appeared to have reached some competitive success last year while remaining in decent financial shape (no debt).

The merger between the Cascades and Thunder is a great opportunity for the fans and members of Northwest drum corps to "make the long haul" together. Take a moment to think of all the drum corps that have come and gone throughout the area (if you do your research, you'll find that there has been nearly 40 corps throughout the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada). What exists today? Why are there so few corps in existence today?

For the 2009 summer season, DCI has the following number of corps listed for summer competition:

22 World Class Corps

24 Open Class Corps (with Spokane in it's presumed inactive status)

Here is the breakdown of the corps during the 1999 drum corps season:

21 Division 1 Corps (present World Class) competed at nationals

42 Division 2/3 Corps (present Open class) competed at nationals

29 Division 2/3 Corps participated in Regional Tours, but not at nationals

As you can see, there is a great decrease in the past decade alone, not to mention the past 40 or 50 years. Again, ask yourself why are there fewer drum corps? Is it lack of demand for the activity, staffing problems, financial constraints, or other problems?

Having participated with both the Thunder and Cascades, my only hope is that members of both organizations help sustain the longevity of drum corps in the northwest! It's time for the drum corps members, parents, veterans and fans to to show their commitment to this newly created union, and make the Northwest a viable, competitive force to be nationally recognized on a yearly basis.

This merger is not a hostile takeover, it's an act of sustainability for the activity. It's not an attempt to make the Thunder a feeder corps. How many people do you know from Spokane, Seattle, Portland, or the Tri-Cities who have gone on to march somewhere else in the "big leagues?" The Thunder will become no more of a feeder corps than any other Northwest Drum Corps has ever been. Many members from the Thunder, Cascades, Spartans, Renaissance, Crusaders, Marauders have gone off to march to march in World Class drum corps.

Thank you to Sal Leone and Rich Harvey (along with their respective booster organizations, staff, and members) for taking a giant step towards sustaining drum corps in the Northwest. Drum corps in the Northwest have had wonderful glimpses of success (Oregon's Division 3 Championship, Cascades march to becoming the Northwest's first and only World finalist corps, and Spokane's expeditious entrance into Open Class finals). Hopefully this merger will create a journey of many emotional and competitive successes in the future.

For the members of the Cascades and Thunder:

It's time to make new traditions, time to make new friends, to put the egos aside and face the new season together. What has drum corps taught us? Drum Corps is surely about playing an instrument, traveling the country and spending time with our friends. But, drum corps is more about teaching us about ourselves, commitment, learning to deal with adversity, teamwork, improving our work ethic as well friendship. Remember, hardware is only icing on the cake.

For the veterans and age outs of Cascades, Thunder and other Northwest Drumcorps:

Take the time to donate, whether it's financially, or volunteering your time. Think of all the times the corps needed more people to carry equipment, repair instruments and vehicles, cook food, alter and sew uniforms, etc. Think of all the equipment that needed to be fixed or replaced, but there were no funds to do so. Show your appreciation of your drum corps experience by helping the next generation of drum corps members. Don't express your frustration or anger towards this new venture, as it is not helpful, but in fact detrimental to the activity.

Let's all hope the 2009 is a successful one for these two corps!

I read this, and if there's any indication that it bears any resemblance of what's going to happen with the Thunder's future, I don't understand why they would even bother saying that they "fully intend" to have the Thunder re-emerge as itself in 2010.

I know at least 4 kids who were planning on marching Thunder this year who won't be able to do it now.

Anyway, best of luck to all involved with this corps.

Will this affect the Oregon Crusaders?

It seems like there is an every other year thing where OC is good one year and Seattle the next. I hope Oregon can sustain their development from 07-08. They were one of the more interesting stories of last season. I believe they would have won a World Championship if tehre was still a Division 3, no?

Does this mean that Cascades really don't have the numbers to be coming back yet? and just because they merge doesn't mean that the kids from Thunder will want to go there. Doesn't appear that too many of their staff are moving over from what I read.

Does this mean that Cascades really don't have the numbers to be coming back yet? and just because they merge doesn't mean that the kids from Thunder will want to go there. Doesn't appear that too many of their staff are moving over from what I read.

Cascades are doing great. They had a big snowstorm on audition weekend and only saw about half of what was expected. They are having mini auditions in all the local cities to help catch people up before the Jan Camp.

The Cascades online sign-ups already have 15 Thunder brass listed.

Heard that there will definitely be some Thunder Staff joining Cascades, but the details haven't been ironed out yet, so it is difficult for anyone to announce.

I am very excited for both corps!

Cascades are doing great. They had a big snowstorm on audition weekend and only saw about half of what was expected. They are having mini auditions in all the local cities to help catch people up before the Jan Camp.

The Cascades online sign-ups already have 15 Thunder brass listed.

Heard that there will definitely be some Thunder Staff joining Cascades, but the details haven't been ironed out yet, so it is difficult for anyone to announce.

I am very excited for both corps!

So what are the numbers then???? and why would they have to merge if everything was going so great???? makes one wonder!!