Charlie Haas passes away

Condolences from the Reading Buccaneers family to the Haas family.

It is with great sadness that I pass on the news that my father, Charlie Haas, passed away on January 3, 2009. My Dad had been battling leukemia for the past several months and was just admitted to the VA Hospice in Lebanon, PA on December 29, 2008. A viewing will be held at the Thompson Funeral Home in Lebanon, PA on Thursday, January 8th. Funeral services will be held on Friday, January 9th. Exact times for the viewing and services have not yet been determined.

As some of you are aware, both of my parents were very involved with drum corps in the 60's and 70's. Up until the time she passed away last February, my Mom, Jackie, often spoke of the time she and my father spent video taping in those early years. My Dad had many fond memories as well and up until just a few weeks ago, he and I would talk on the phone and he would share some of the stories he and my mother spoke of throughout the years.

My Mom's death was sudden last year and was a very difficult time in our lives. My Dad's illness lasted several months and even though we had some time to prepare for the inevitable outcome, it is still difficult to believe that he is gone. He is with my Mom now and no longer suffering and that is perhaps the greatest comfort of all.

Chris Haas

Chris ... one of my fondest memories is visiting your Mother and Father at their home in PA in the late 80's when I was doing research on the videos they had of the Skyliners ... they were both like kids when talking about drum corps and could remember the detail behind each of the shows they taped ... I still remember your Mother cooking a wonderful meal for me and Jerry Hardware, and if I'm not mistaken, you and your sister were also there ... what a lovely afternoon we spent with your dad in his recording room viewing countless hours of tapes ... I also remember them displaying their videos at the GAS that year (1988) to the delight of all the attendees ... two more gracious people could not have walked the earth than your parents ... their genius and kindness will surely be missed by all who knew them ...

Andy

My condolences to the Haas family

Charlie was a Great guy!

May God comfort Chris and Donna during this time of grief. I consider myself a lucky man to have been blessed with knowing both Charlie, Jackie and the Haas family. They were both loving, caring, and dedicated people in preserving the wonderful history of the drum and bugle corps experience through video. May they both meet in heaven.

HB

Carter Cadets

St. Rita's Brassmen

New York Skyliners

Edited by Jim On The Move