They're Here !

I can't answer for the big bores, but I can answer for the little ones.

I unboxed/oiled/checked out quite a number of the trumpets, and played each one to make sure everything was a "go" for this morning's rehearsal.

I'm somewhat a downstream player, so consider that.

The full practical range is quite nice. It slots extremely well, and has fewer intonation issues that I would've expected. As with any trumpet, the low D is high, but I found myself having to adjust less than with my XL bore Bach.

Above high C, the horns seem to slot lower of pitch center than I would've expected, and required a slight adjustment higher on pitches through G above high C.

The weight is nice and the horn is easy to move from standby/parade rest to carry to horns up. I find them weighted a little to the far side of the valve casing for my tastes, but it as close to center as any other manufacture.

The leadpipes are slanted down into the horn, giving a natural elevation to the bell when playing right down the leadpipe to the tune of about 5 degrees. The valve action is silky-smooth, although we had a few have a bur or two in the second valve (I wonder why only the second valve?) but were easily buffed out. It was easy to tell which ones had been play tested when you came to one because the horn played nearly flawlessly and had obviously been "looked at and adjusted".

One thing I can offer regarding the tubas... I recall the big bore players saying they were weighted on the front a little, and it took some getting used to, but all in all the horn is lighter than those big G contras.

That's all I can thnk of right now. I'll tell you more after today's camp!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick after camp report on the mellophones. They have a very nice sound. We're using the King mello 6 mouthpieces (I notice that the Cabs are using Loud mp's and wonder how they like them). The only "issue" so far is that the middle E is difficult to center. I'm quite sure we'll work that out. :-)

And now it's time for bed.

Yeah, the contras/tubas are a bit bell heavy, but play really nice! I thought I was gonna hate making the switch to Bb, but I really like the tone and intonation of our new Kings. It's gonna be a great year!!!

The King Bb Contras were great. A little hard getting used to after playing the DEG for 10 years. Our line sounded terrific from the first note.

I must say I loved playing the Kings! I too have played the Degs for many years. While my shoulder was a little slow to accept the horn,but playing it was fantastic!