Regional Championships

I got to thinking, after reading another thread, that it might be very possible to host regionals soon... based on the growth we have seen from each region. Each region has several drum corps in it (save Pacific):

Northeast:

Brigadiers

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Cabellaros

Empire Statesmen

Fusion Core

Grenadiers (maybe)

Hurricanes

Rochester Crusdaers

White Sabers

Central:

Chops Inc.

Derby City Knights

Frontier

Govenaires

High Country Brass

Kilties

Lakeshoremen

Minnesota Brass, Inc.

Prairie Sound

South:

Alliance

Austin Stars

Carolina Gold

Corpsvets

Gulf Coast Sound

Masquerade

Music City Legend

Shenandoah Sound

Sun Devils

Pacific:

Renegades

SoCal Dream

With this many potentially competing corps in each region, these events would be great. In addition, I think it would provid a more legit way to crown the region champions. The new Open Class/Class A rule could be omitted for these competitions and a true champion could be determined (1 in each reagion). In addition, it would be great for the smaller corps that do not have the resources to head to the world championship (giving them a highlight at the end of their season). It is amazing to see how big each region has gotten since the creation of Class A.

I know this has been tried before, but I feel like circumstances have changed for the better, and this could be started again... picking locations that rotate each year, and allowing all participating corps to take part of the profit. The argument for staying in Rochester might be true (people don't travel to get to Finals). If that is the case, this offers an opportunity for local fans in these areas to see a championship.

What are your opinions on the idea?

Edited by BOSMarcher

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, however I don't think it'd be necessary to omit the new Class A rule

The South already does this.

The South already does this.

They crown a champion, but there isn't a show that is designated for that champion. Currently, the champion of DCA-South is determined by which corps in each Class places highest at championships. What if there is a talented corps that does not have the means to travel to Rochester in Class A... or even Open? Does that mean they have less reason to be crowned as Region Champion?

it could be done. you just need a venue big enough to hold em all and a willing sponsor.

I agree it can be done. The better question is, is this something DCA is/or will be interested in pursuing? I suppose it would have to prove to be economically sound. For the record, I saw most of the southern corps at the Douglasville show this past season... all you need is the rest to make the trip and stamp "Regional Championship" on the show, and there you have it.

I suppose it would have to be a location other than corps A's home show...lol

I think it can be done except for out west. Can't have a Regional with two corps.

I thought one of the shows we did down South last year WAS the South Championship. Can't remember for sure, but I thought it was Nashville, no?

I agree it can be done. The better question is, is this something DCA is/or will be interested in pursuing? I suppose it would have to prove to be economically sound. For the record, I saw most of the southern corps at the Douglasville show this past season... all you need is the rest to make the trip and stamp "Regional Championship" on the show, and there you have it.

I suppose it would have to be a location other than corps A's home show...lol

agree....get all the corps in that region to agree to sign up....agree to rotate it if need be.

plus if you make those shows the only ones on the schedule that weekend, viola, a good way to get judges around to see everyone and you wont spread the DCA officials too thin.

I got to thinking, after reading another thread, that it might be very possible to host regionals soon... based on the growth we have seen from each region. Each region has several drum corps in it (save Pacific):

<<<<snip>>>>>

I know this has been tried before, but I feel like circumstances have changed for the better, and this could be started again... picking locations that rotate each year, and allowing all participating corps to take part of the profit. The argument for staying in Rochester might be true (people don't travel to get to Finals). If that is the case, this offers an opportunity for local fans in these areas to see a championship.

What are your opinions on the idea?

I agree.....

Further, by holding these "regional championships" either one or two weeks before DCA weekend, but ALL on the same weekend, using DCA sheets, it could provide for more accurate seeding in the preliminaries. Every year we see MBI and SF 'gades come east with their DCI-sheet/judge-scores and have to work their butts off to get a good slot in the finals. Would MBI have stopped at 2nd if they weren't "seeded" 5th in prelims?

Additionally, with so many class A corps emerging, this gives them a shot at getting a good slot as well....... and it serves as a culmination show for those corps not heading to Mecca.

For even MORE accurate placing, it could be conducted using a twist on how DCI does it in their big show....over 2-days..... schedule east and south on Sat & Sun using the SAME judges in the SAME captions at both locations (Atlanta/Scranton?). Schedule Midwest and Pacific on the same Sat & Sun using a common judging panel there, too. Although it would probably be better if the judges viewed East/Midwest and South/Pacific combos to get all four regions on the "same sheet."

Joe Dz in NJ