Cascades Status

I know that the Cascades, now the merged Cascades and Spokane Thunder from Open Class, are under DCI review for participation on World Class for 2009, but does anyone know when the decision will be made?

Edited by chadwick

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was pretty sure they were already in

i was pretty sure it was not the Oregon Crusaders, but the Spokane Thunder

Yep...thanks for catching that! Post edited...

doesnt it not happen till after or during their winter meetings? so i would figure out when those are then wait

From the perspective of a Board Member and Chairman (head volunteer), here's a brief overview.

To bring everyone up to date, the Cascades cancelled its 2008 season when the number of brass players was terribly insufficient to field a World Class corps. From a Board Member’s stand point, this was disappointing after finally recovering from huge financial hardships of 2006. (The bingo operation collapsed right before the 2006 tour. By the time the Cascades’ returned from the 2006 tour, new debt accumulated to about $250,000.)

The DCI approval process to return to World Class is pretty stringent. There has been an in depth analysis of our organization already, plus there will be a review at an upcoming DCI meeting on 1/24. An on-site visit by a DCI representative at the Cascades’ February 20-22 camp to confirm there is the stated membership, and then this season will be a probationary year. Thus far, the Cascades have not been allowed to publish their tour schedule, so I hope at the 1/24 DCI meeting, we are OK’ed to release the 2009 tour schedule.

In the Thunder/Cascades Merger Forum post, there’s talk about the progress of recruiting. In brief, percussion and guard are not an issue—brass has been the concern. With Thunder’s members merging into the Cascades for this year, the target of a 49-member brass line is well on track. Given the inevitable attrition once tour-fee are due, 60+ qualified brass candidates are needed. This very much appears to be the case, but we’ll know for certain at the next two audition/camps. There are brass auditions in Seattle this Saturday (1/17), and the final audition and full brass/percussion camp will be in Yakima on 1/23-25.

Mike Bujnowski, Chairman

Northwest Youth Music Association

NYMA Volunteer '03-present

Cascades '72-'78

As the OP of this thread I ask that we get back on topic please...thanks!

I wonder if the late approval (albeit an understandable lengthy process) is the reason why brass turnout has been so low at camps so far? With no other World Class corps in this region, it surprises me that they don't have larger turnouts.

As the OP of this thread I ask that we get back on topic please...thanks!

I wonder if the late approval (albeit an understandable lengthy process) is the reason why brass turnout has been so low at camps so far? With no other World Class corps in this region, it surprises me that they don't have larger turnouts.

There's only been one "full weekend" camp and two day camps (brass/drum auditions) so far. There was a HUGE snow storm/blizzard that happened during the first camp that majorly restricted travel all over the state. The mountain passes were closed, tons of snow, etc...

That's why the brass turnout was so low.

There's a day camp this weekend just south of Seattle and a full camp the 23rd-25th. Hopefully the weather will be more kind in a couple of weeks.