Getting Crowd Reponse

If you feel the need to gripe about drum corps not being what you used to like about it anymore, please don't go to the shows to do it. I hate to see the people that go to shows just to yell negative bs at the performers or especially those that sell t-shirts with slogans that mock a particular corps. If you are really that angry about it, seek professional help. You are probably a miserable person.

Ok, maybe that last paragraph was a little too harsh. :thumbup:

I wasnt around when "drum corps was drum corps" I am a rookie of 08'

But I did notice that sometimes, we really got the crowd up and going, and other times it felt like they were clapping as a chore, not because they were having fun and loving what we were doing.

When they did truly applaud and cheer, it gives the performer an exhilerating feeling, its unforgettable. it just pumps you up so much.

It seems audiences had more of a love for what the athletes/musicians were doing then

Should Drum Corps shows be treated as a professional concert, where words are unspoken, at least untill the conductor puts down his arms? Is a show just like a museum, where you sit and examine each corps?

No, there shouldnt be time "inserted" for applause. The audience is part of the show. they affect the energy.

My one purpose all summer, was to make people stand and scream.

I believe it truly is a spectator sport.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a designer/s has/ve done the right job and planned or expected an audience response in a particular place in a performance, and the actual performance quality warrants the expected response, I would hope it's to be somewhat spontaneous. I don't bellieve a spontaneous response could be held off a bit until it was a more proper time.

As a performer I hoped our show when we played and marched well, got people out of their seats and clapping screaming or whatever. That 's what gave me a kick.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The OP cited less crowd response and crowd response does seem to have gone down quite a bit in the last 15 years or so. Its not the fault of the performers, the blame lies with the designers. When you design a show that is much ado about nothing, you can't be surprised by polite applause at the end and not much more. The designers major job should be to connect to the audience. Every other performance art strives to connect with audience. It baffles me why some DCI designers seem to be oblivious to everything but their concept.

If a Broadway show doesn't connect, it rewrites or it closes. If an new opera or symphony doesn't connect, it never gets another performance. The problem with DCI is that if the original design concept is flawed, there is not a lot that can be done in the short DCI season. The preformers are stuck.

I actually agree with the OP. I think most (not all) audiences have gotten kind of lame. 10 years ago, shows were, imo, less fan friendly, yet things seemed to be better. I honestly think audience members are spoiled now, especially when it comes to visual eye candy (thanks cavaliers :thumbup: ) Sure, there are other factors, but thats just how i see it....

crowd response isn't a good measure of how "good" a show is.

it is only a manifestation of one set of emotions -- positive, rah rah emotions.

one of the best films i've ever seen is "No Country for Old Men". it doesn't cause me to jump up and yell "YES! THAT WAS AMAZING!" because it is not intended to appeal to my happier side. there is nothing content-wise to celebrate.

the same goes for durm corps. many shows aren't designed to make people explode with positive emotions. that's just how it is. (now -- for the shows that are designed for that purpose, but fail, we have clear examples of "poor design" to blame.)

crowd response isn't a good measure of how "good" a show is.

it is only a manifestation of one set of emotions -- positive, rah rah emotions.

one of the best films i've ever seen is "No Country for Old Men". it doesn't cause me to jump up and yell "YES! THAT WAS AMAZING!" because it is not intended to appeal to my happier side. there is nothing content-wise to celebrate.

the same goes for durm corps. many shows aren't designed to make people explode with positive emotions. that's just how it is. (now -- for the shows that are designed for that purpose, but fail, we have clear examples of "poor design" to blame.)

Obviously true. That said, there seem to be more 'happy feelings' shows getting lukewarm responses nowadays. Either its the designers, the performers, or the audience.

Another reason I believe is the order of performance. I attended a show last year in which a very entertaining corps connected with the audience and received a standing ovation but they were one of the first corps to perform. Other corps that performed later, and even though their performance level was higher, did not receive a standing ovation. In fact, the only other corps to receive standing ovations that night were the two in-state corps.

From personal experience, DCI has become boring.

I miss when I could barely keep myself from jumping up during

the show with excitement. Corps these days are too busy playing to

the judges and forgetting about the fans.

I've followed DCI since 1977 and can attest to the increase in musicianship

of today's marching members. Technically, todays corps are amazing compared

to "back in the day", but they woefully lack excitement.

I don't need music I know, or has been played every year for the last

10 years. What I need is a show that is played with raw emotion, played

with commitment, played with excitement.

I don't blame the members, but the instructors who don't give these kids

the vehicle to display there talent.

Actually, I think you may be over-romanticizing the past just a tad. I don't recall any corps getting a standing ovation for a horn move. Full standing ovations at the end of an opener? Rare, if they ever happened at all. Now does this mean that audiences weren't enthusiastic for those shows? Not at all, and there were indeed instances of standing ovations during the middle of a show here and there. But I don't think they happened as much as people seem to recall. And it still happens today occasionally.

Actually, in about 10 seconds after reading this, several came immediately to mind:

1983 Cadets, at the end of Rocky Point

1987 SCV at the end of Russian Christmas Music

1996 Phantom at the end of the opener

While they may not have been "full standing ovations" they were certainly standing o's, and 83 Cadets came pretty close to a full one. Just sayin'

Actually, in about 10 seconds after reading this, several came immediately to mind:

While they may not have been "full standing ovations" they were certainly standing o's, and 83 Cadets came pretty close to a full one. Just sayin'

Hehe....sure, the all time great openers can do that...especially over a span of a decade. I can think of 3 from the past three years that were similar in audience response.

And I was just saying that they were rare. Which you confirmed. Thanks! :thumbup: