Getting Crowd Reponse

Does anyone else notice how much harder it is for a corps to get the crowd to respond these days?

I watched some videos from the 90s, and the crowd gave multiple standing ovations for little things... Horn Snap "WOOOOO" end of first son "WOOOOOO" etc.

The shows i see today look and sound much better than that of those in the past (IMO), but the crowd only gives a full on standing ovation at the end of the show of a popular corps. There are scattered clapping and yelling at impact points, though, but nothing compared to 10-20 years ago..

Are people just getting bored? Is easy access to shows on the internet making cool drill seem less cool.

Am I the only one who notices this??

Edited by TheClutch

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people just getting bored?

Quite the opposite, I think. Shows now are so seamless and packed full of material that if you stand up and/or yell then you'll be missing something. Or you'll cause the people around and behind you to miss something. Speaking as someone who is in at least one crowd every year, it just makes more sense to hold your applause until the end.

Perhaps the difference in recording equipment? Maybe the mics in the 90's picked up far more crowd sounds then the mics they use today. That would be my guess.

Could be, but I doubt it. From what I remember the recording set up has been basically the same for a while. And I don't believe there have been any real earth-shattering advances in recording equipment.

I think corps performances have gotten stale. Nothing really original anymore about performances. To me, drum corps has gotten so artsy-fartsy and cereberal that there isn't much to cheer for in the middle of a show.

Now I can hear all you Phantom honks already about how Phantom did a semi-old school show this past year and got huge crowd response so spare me the run-around.

Drum corps has become stale and generic to me. No uniqueness.

Also, designers are not giving any time for applause.

I agree with Matt S. During the 90s, corps hadn't completely evolved from the song, stop, song, stop, song, stop era. Right now, I'd say drum corps is more of a spectacle, one in which the audience is so drawn into the shows that they wait until the end....much like at the symphony or opera.

You also have to find the right shows. If you were in the stands while Crown was performing last season, you'll know that this wasn't the case. At least I was going nuts the whole show (that hornline is just too good).

I think part of the "lack of crowd response" during a show, can be caused by the audience not necessarily understanding the show as well. There are some pretty weird shows now, well at least ones that 10 years ago probably wouldn't have been considered when programming a show. It really all depends on what the audience is looking for, and how much time they are actually given to respond to a certain moment.

Bluecoats got a pretty good ovation in the middle of their show after the Boxer shout chorus. . . I was standing, at least.

I think moments like that really back up my earlier point. When the designers program some stops into their show, some chances to for the crowd to show their love, the response is there. From this past year, Bluecoats, Phantom and SCV are great examples.

Does anyone else notice how much harder it is for a corps to get the crowd to respond these days?

I watched some videos from the 90s, and the crowd gave multiple standing ovations for little things... Horn Snap "WOOOOO" end of first son "WOOOOOO" etc.

The shows i see today look and sound much better than that of those in the past (IMO), but the crowd only gives a full on standing ovation at the end of the show of a popular corps. There are scattered clapping and yelling at impact points, though, but nothing compared to 10-20 years ago..

Are people just getting bored? Is easy access to shows on the internet making cool drill seem less cool.

Am I the only one who notices this??

Actually, I think you may be over-romanticizing the past just a tad. I don't recall any corps getting a standing ovation for a horn move. Full standing ovations at the end of an opener? Rare, if they ever happened at all. Now does this mean that audiences weren't enthusiastic for those shows? Not at all, and there were indeed instances of standing ovations during the middle of a show here and there. But I don't think they happened as much as people seem to recall. And it still happens today occasionally.