Getting Crowd Reponse

Actually, I think you may be over-romanticizing the past just a tad. I don't recall any corps getting a standing ovation for a horn move. Full standing ovations at the end of an opener? Rare, if they ever happened at all. Now does this mean that audiences weren't enthusiastic for those shows? Not at all, and there were indeed instances of standing ovations during the middle of a show here and there. But I don't think they happened as much as people seem to recall. And it still happens today occasionally.

I know that I am jumping in late, but you must be kidding right? Hardly ever a standing O after the opener?????? I was there. There were standing Os after the opener, the drum solo, the park and blows and definitly at the closer. There were oooohs and ahhhhs. Todays corps would get the same reponse, except that the artistic geniuses give no time for it. Now we have to "program" time for shouts and standing Os, because we can't stop moving and playing long enough to let the crowd show their appreciation. I love the intro that the announcers do, when they say, " stand, shout and let the corps hear your appreciation" (sic), but the question is WHEN????? Give us a chance inbetween your next must have move. PLEASE. Rut Roh, you can't tell me you were there. Go back to the eighties, when corps didn't have to title a show for the crowd to "get it". 5 songs, not even related and a crowd that went apes#&. Just ask any 80s Madison alumn. Todays end of the show standing Os are more in tune with being courtious than with pure excitement. Last but not least, yes, todays corps are all star corps doing things that most older corps couldn't ( mainly because the talent pool was very spread out), but todays corps are NOT giving time for people to show their appreciation. GIVE US TIME......... PLEASE..........

Edited by 84skyrydr

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly people, its not that bad. Plenty of corps leave time in between songs for ovations. Plenty of corps leave time after big impacts for ovations. True - there has been a movement towards seamless shows, where one song flows right into the next, or even shows like cadets 06, where the next song actually begins before the former ends, but the fact is, a good many corps still play a piece, stop, play a piece, and stop. Once again it sounds like people are making excuses for why they cant clap for corps...

Wrong. I still clap for shows, a lot more than those around me,but I don't see all these breaks you speak of. You wouldn't be a program designer would you?

I have been involved since 1967. I was there in Montreal when Phantom had to pass out pamphlets to say what Spartacus was all about...and the response was tepid. Now, that type of show is the norm and gets the scores.

The more accessible the show is to the audience - and not just drum corps geeks - the bigger and better the response. It is not the best musicianship, execution or marching that wins the heart of the audience.

I have been involved since 1967. I was there in Montreal when Phantom had to pass out pamphlets to say what Spartacus was all about...and the response was tepid. Now, that type of show is the norm and gets the scores.

And, if last year was any indication, gets huge f###ing applause, too.

I have to preface this: I find todays shows very exciting, and incredibly well done with basically "all star corps". That said, I feel that todays corps members have an attitude that they should be applauded BECAUSE they perform, not how much the crowd is moved by the show, or how much pleasure their music gives the paying crowd. I don't demand anything from any corps or member. Even though I contribute to 5 corps on a regular basis, I do not demand they entertain me. So, please don't demand that I go ape for your show. Just perform, and enjoy the feeling you get from giving your all. Designers, make shows more crowd friendly. Only one corps finishes the season victorious, so quit playing to the judges and watch as crowds that are overall entertained..... go APE......

Wrong. I still clap for shows, a lot more than those around me,but I don't see all these breaks you speak of. You wouldn't be a program designer would you?

Well, yes, but not for corps... :w00t:

And, the breaks, well, they usually happen at the end of one song, but before the next one starts. I dont know...maybe its hard to tell for some people. If you cant tell, a hint is that the horns may come down, and the drums sometimes do weird moves... :music:

I don't see all these breaks you speak of
Either way, I think a lot of people on here are exaggerating when it comes to "not enough time," "not enough breaks".

Spartacus, for instance, has breaks at 1:13, 3:27, 5:56, none after the girl dies at 7:50 and into the next "war" section which is great because hearing a lot of cheering at that point with the mourning would ruin the mood and continuity of idea, then again at 9:17.

. . .

Twelve years ago, Defiant Heart had three distinct pieces, with all of two breaks total between the three (some might think of the small climax in the middle of the closer, but that is the space of a quarter rest).