Traditional or Personal Preference

the silver creates a bit darker of a sound. it also projects better than a lacquer horn.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the silver creates a bit darker of a sound. it also projects better than a lacquer horn.

haha you beat me to it!

haha you beat me to it!

He beat you to answering your own question? :thumbup:

Haha no, someone asked if there was a sound diff between silver and laquer, i knew that part of my question i really just wanted to know which corps still use laquer horns

it's also easier to do repairs and maintenance on silver.

lacquer will show wrinkles on dent repairs, it can also melt and show discoloration when joints are re-soldered, and when the lacquer on the bell starts to peel it doesn't look very pretty either. lacquer will also freak out to extreme temperature changes then it's plated counterpart.

Edited by kaplac

Didn't Bridgemen use gold horns...also...wasn't there a year when Crossmen had silver horns, but the insides of the bells were gold?

Didn't Bridgemen use gold horns...also...wasn't there a year when Crossmen had silver horns, but the insides of the bells were gold?

Yep. Bayonne used them one year that I remember back in the 70's. I think that one of the reasons is cost. Silver isn't cheap, so you call the provider and say "Send us X number of horns and hold the chrome". Can't say that I cared for them though. They look too bando.

Sure did, some of those horns were still in use in the 80's too. VK still had a raw brass K90 with a chromed bell in use in '84. Colts also used brass horns, which the staff told us that it darkened the sound. Silver brightened the sound. Chrome, well you could wail on one of those. Easy to care for too, but was only used because it was cheap at the time. Silver takes maintanance, but holds up better. Laquer wears and turns to raw brass within a couple of seasons. Mid 80's Colts can tell you the story of taking their horns in and getting them chromed at the local bumper shop.

Note that although I no longer use a brass laquered horn, I still use the same vintage contra I first used in '83 with the Colts, the DEG 2V GG!!! :thumbup:

Yeah, and before you get all excited about that 3rd valve kids, in the hands of a master that horn can speak and play the 2/3 combos with the half slide and play the 1/3 combos by lipping that low concert C. (Thanks :tongue: Mr. Royer for teaching us that back in the day!)

I'll bet good money that few if any people on this board could tell the difference in sound between a lacquered versus plated horn in a blind test, so that argument doesn't really fly. As for why, my understanding has always been that it's just easier to maintain. You can polish silver plating and at least make it presentable; lacquered horns, though, don't polish too well, so if you start getting oxidization or something like that you're pretty much screwed.

I'll bet good money that few if any people on this board could tell the difference in sound between a lacquered versus plated horn in a blind test, so that argument doesn't really fly. As for why, my understanding has always been that it's just easier to maintain. You can polish silver plating and at least make it presentable; lacquered horns, though, don't polish too well, so if you start getting oxidization or something like that you're pretty much screwed.

That's why I posed that question right away in '82 when I joined Colts. Other than being REALLY out of tune, because Dave Asa evidently did NOT know how to use a Korg tuner, I could tell little difference in sound. Not sure how it sounded out of the line as I never stood in front of the hornline, unless I was playing my solo. The marching staff just said it looked cool with our riverboat uniforms. That made more sense to me. Thanks Gene Steichen, the Green Leaf guy from the Fruit of the Loom commercials. He and his mom parked by us (the VK Alumni Party Tent) in '07. I charged them $10 to park there. :thumbup:

I think Bobby Hoffman thought the same thing, so to be different, he used the laquer horns too. Maybe OvertheHillDM (Jimmy Jordan) will chime in the the exact details.