There's going to be a tie this summer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably for the best. After all, precedent's already been set. Once the Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment were both awarded the title in 1996, it'd be hard to tell another corps in that same situation that they aren't champions because of a technicality. Competitively, I'm certainly in favor of having just one champion at the end of the year (as is everyone who shouted "no more ties!" at finals in 2000), but DCI's reasoning sounded solid to me. Both corps met the criteria for being declared champion.

So DCI has abolished the Tiebreaker rules...

There's so going to be another tie this summer. I can't be the only person who thought that when the read the news.

Of equal importance is the clarification of the electronics rule.

On a kind of related note, what is the protocol for ties in WGI and/or BOA? Is there a tie-breaker, like the ordinal system, or is there just a tie?

On a kind of related note, what is the protocol for ties in WGI and/or BOA? Is there a tie-breaker, like the ordinal system, or is there just a tie?

By the way, props to Mike Boo for delivering this information to us via DCI's website so expeditiously! :music:

BOA breaks ties at regionals using highest GE score. I'm not sure what they would do for 1st place ties, as I don't think it's ever happened.

I can just see the arguments on DCP this summer....

Where is the line drawn between spoken word and song?

Where is the line drawn between spoken word and song?

singing

"For example, a corps could use the Martin Luther King Jr. ‘I Have a Dream’ speech..."

I know the DCI press release goes on to mention that anything used should have a clear copyright - I hope they make sure that corps know that even public speeches like "I Have a Dream" can be subject to copyright protection (and in that specific example, it is). Gene also mentions use of recorded sound effects, which (if professionally produced) are ALSO usually copyrighted and licensed.

So who at DCI will check each corps beforehand to make sure they've secured the rights to use every pre-recorded sound in their shows? :music:

maybe the judges will be more critical so there arent ties, so in the end the corps wont be scoring nearly as high. just a thought.

so for the pre-recorded things, who will determine if the pre-recorded sound effect is or is not music. because it clearly states "sequenced" music will not be allowed. will a whistle be musical and fall into the not allowed category? it seems that a lot of things could be classified as music or musical with their new definition. even if its a bunch of doors slamming, if it does it in time, then that would be musical, would it not?

basically from what I gather from this, A LOT of things could be thought of as music or musical which would then be illegal if they are pre recorded. but im probably wrong

seems like someone will have a tough time over the summer making sure sounds aren't prerecorded and that corps aren't breaking copyright laws

Edited by doyle079