There's going to be a tie this summer

Please choose the best answer:

A) That's what she said!

B) This from the guy rapidly closing in on ten thousand posts!

C) Yeah, but quantity has a quality all its own.

D) None of the above.

F: Bonfiglio LOL :rolleyes:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, props to Mike Boo for delivering this information to us via DCI's website so expeditiously! :rolleyes:

You're most welcome.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. I haven't been online since Saturday due to some family things going on.

What if the 2 "tie-ing" corps tie in number of captions won as well... :rolleyes:

well i don't think that would have been an issue because IIRC, the "tiebreaker" wasn't total number of captions won...i seem to remember the broadcast team explaining that it was the highest overall GE that wins.

in other words:

2000 - Cavaliers overall GE score was 39.1 which would have beat the Cadets' 39.0

1999 - SCV overall GE 39.7 beats BD's 39.5

1996 - Phantom wins with 39.2 to BD's 38.9

all numbers courtesy of fromthepressbox.com (love that site)

Edited by bhs alumni

in other words:

2000 - Cavaliers beat the Cadets

1999 - SCV beats BD

1996 - Phantom wins

Sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

well i don't think that would have been an issue because IIRC, the "tiebreaker" wasn't total number of captions won...i seem to remember the broadcast team explaining that it was the highest overall GE that wins.

in other words:

2000 - Cavaliers overall GE score was 39.1 which would have beat the Cadets' 39.0

1999 - SCV overall GE 39.7 beats BD's 39.5

1996 - Phantom wins with 39.2 to BD's 38.9

all numbers courtesy of fromthepressbox.com (love that site)

While it's not important now, I seem to remember that the tie breaker was:

1) add up all of the ordinal numbers (i.e. placement of either each caption or sub-caption: can't remember which)

2) lowest number wins

Essentially, the corps that consistently placed highest in each sub-caption would win the tie-breaker, though a really low sub-caption could kill a tight race.

Since 2001, a rule has been in place that any ties for first place would be resolved at all shows based on the placement of the corps within individual captions (ordinals).
this is from DCI.org but a semi-extensive search of the news archive cannot find the original wording of the rule, nor the announcement of the new rule from 2001, which i again believe was explained differently...i did however find the announcement of the new division and championship format that was subsequently scrubbed...never knew about that, and i find it very interesting. Edited by bhs alumni

While it's not important now, I seem to remember that the tie breaker was:

1) add up all of the ordinal numbers (i.e. placement of either each caption or sub-caption: can't remember which)

2) lowest number wins

Essentially, the corps that consistently placed highest in each sub-caption would win the tie-breaker, though a really low sub-caption could kill a tight race.

That is correct. And if there was still a tie, it would have then gone to the winner of the highest combined Effect captions. And then if there was still a tie, both corps would have been declared champions.

I could be wrong of the tie breaker for the tied tie breaker, but I think that's what it was. (Tie breaker for the tied tie breaker...Sheesh, I think my head just exploded.)

this is from DCI.org but a semi-extensive search of the news archive cannot find the original wording of the rule, nor the announcement of the new rule from 2001, which i again believe was explained differently...i did however find the announcement of the new division and championship format that was subsequently scrubbed...never knew about that, and i find it very interesting.

I remember that story....please post it!! :smile:

Well, just look at 2008, is that not the closest it can be without a tie? Can the math folks out there analyze the recap and see if a tie last year "could of" happened?

Sure! Here you go. If the judges followed the scoring system of 1996 (adapted to include guard), here is a possible outcome.

_________________Gen. Effect__Visual_______Music______Total

Phantom Regiment......19.6 19.8 9.8 9.7 9.6 9.8 9.9 9.9 98.1

Blue Devils.................19.9 19.5 9.9 9.5 9.5 9.9 10.0 9.9 98.1

Of course, there is no way to know for sure what scores a different system would have produced. For example, in 2008 Paul McGarr gave Blue Devils a 19.7 in brass performance. On a 10-point scale, this is a 9.85; but in 1996, he would have had to choose a 9.8 or 9.9. The possible outcome above assumes he would have given a 9.9.

Statistically, the more decimal places you permit in individual scores DOES reduce the chance of a tie, for the simple reason that there are more possible final scores.