New HS Graduate Requirement? - Music City

Okay, I'm just going to have to say it and take the flak.

DCA is "Plan C" (not Plan A or B) in the minds of teenagers wanting to march for a corps. That's at least how it is in my band.

First you got the group of kids that talk the talk about being in BD,Phantom,Cavies and will never once lift a horn or turn the page to audition for plan B or C much less bother to try out ofr the big dogs.Why?Because they are lazy and know they will not make the cut.

Then You have the next group of kids that do look at DCA and Open Class as a stepping stone.

Then you have the third group of kids who I think represent the youth that are marching in DCA and Open Class.These kids are smart,talented and achievers.They realize they may have issues marching a world class corps rather it be ability,financial,scheduling conflicts or parents who do not approve of them doing a summer tour.They accept this and look at DCA and Open class a opportunity to build on their foundation and put them in a position where in the coming years when the time is right to do a world class corps.I admire this group of kids.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then maybe it's the job of people like you who will stay with a corps (possibly) to teach them a little something. Just sayin'.

And that's what I plan on doing. I know that since I'm a woodwind learning brass, I'll be very lucky to march anywhere and I'll be proud to march there. But I have to show my dedication with my high school first. They've invested so much into me to see me grow, I have to return the favor. But when college rolls around, I want to stay with whomever takes me (be it Troopers or Bluecoats or Music City), because they are the corps that took the time to invest in me and wanted me to be a part of their organization.

And that's what I plan on doing. I know that since I'm a woodwind learning brass,

Some of the best people in Drum corps started out playing woodwinds.