Marching for free

I was one of those whom got the free ride. I worked bingo every other week, (and Chucky Cheese top pay the bills) lived Drum Corps daily and paid my dues. I lived in a crappy apartment with 4 other imports, and our furniture consisted of milk cartons, sleeping bags and a boom box. We ate right out of a warmed up can of chunky soup, and shared everything, including everything a brother would share with one another. When you had nothing, a brother had your back and shared, and you did the same thing for the next brother. We practiced in the park across the street. Thus the word, "camaraderie". I think the kids in DC are more spoiled in how they are treated these days. I remember the 78 Kingsmen eating PB&J's the entire trip home from finals...... The corps was broke. (that is another story though) Hell, now Corps fly places...... I cannot tell you how awful it was riding through Texas during the summer to either get to some show, or back from Championships....... Driving through Texas SUCKS! (especially with buses that had no air) Back in the days you could work and do things to offset the cost of tour. Please understand, Some things in life are not fair...get over it, and train to be one, and you will reap the reward. Don't sweat the small stuff.... immerse yourself into the goal...... being the best you can at whatever you are doing. Live the experience!

Do you understand how much it cost to go on tour nowadays? My corps didn't fly anywhere over the summer... i don't know if anyone did... and we had no air during the entire southeast into texas tour this summer... And for your information I do work... as many hours as I can a week.. I'm a full time music ed major (12 or more classes a semester). And there really isn't much you can do but beg for money to offset the cost of tour, when I am paying the bills, and paying for food... ands that about all i can afford. So don't WHINE to me about how much it sucked back in the day... oh boy it was hot... whatevs. that has nothing to do with paying 2800 to march, plus airfare to fly halfway across the country. Why not participate in a local corps? Sorry, if i'm not a fan of what a corps does, or how they are taught, you won't see me around there.

I know that life is not fair TRUST ME I'M NOT ONE TO PREACH TO! And don't tell me to get over it. Sounds like your the one who has to get over thinking this is still "back in the day" the world changes, and so does drum corps.

If there is any more you would like to say back please PM me... this probably should have been one.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you understand how much it cost to go on tour nowadays? My corps didn't fly anywhere over the summer... i don't know if anyone did... and we had no air during the entire southeast into texas tour this summer... And for your information I do work... as many hours as I can a week.. I'm a full time music ed major (12 or more classes a semester). And there really isn't much you can do but beg for money to offset the cost of tour, when I am paying the bills, and paying for food... ands that about all i can afford. So don't WHINE to me about how much it sucked back in the day... oh boy it was hot... whatevs. that has nothing to do with paying 2800 to march, plus airfare to fly halfway across the country. Why not participate in a local corps? Sorry, if i'm not a fan of what a corps does, or how they are taught, you won't see me around there.

I know that life is not fair TRUST ME I'M NOT ONE TO PREACH TO! And don't tell me to get over it. Sounds like your the one who has to get over thinking this is still "back in the day" the world changes, and so does drum corps.

If there is any more you would like to say back please PM me... this probably should have been one.

Dude... Really??? Sucks being you, eh? When you complete your FULL schedule, and you reflect on what you've accomplished, will you have whine before your cheese?..... Be proud of what you do. IF YOU CHOOSE to run a full schedule, Work, Do Drum Corps AND Fly across the country to do so, then regret it when you are doing it, then how does it satisfy you? It is your choice, and your path that YOU have chosen. Concentrate through it, Don't think too hard on it, Complete it, then reflect on it. Your young... continue to be so, and enjoy every minute of it. Preach when you have learned Brother! If you do not want to pay the dues to be a part of DCI, then don't! It's ok....WE WON"T MISS YOU! If you do, then go about it and be proud of it.... at all costs. You only have one chance! I do understand it is more expensive than what it was in my day, although so is the cost of milk.... Do you think you are the only "MUSIC MAJOR" doing this? think hard friend.... DC has gotten much more professional than when I marched. Your tryouts are harder, the shows much more sophisticated, and the difficulty way higher than when I marched..... and you will be saying the same thing I am 30 years from now. Work hard.....Play Hard.... Live Hard...... Remember the good times, and let go of the negatives!

Wish You Luck Brother!

jcat

Edited by Johnny20

you think thats unfair? i hear there are kids who drop a substantial fee at every camp, and the corps keeps bringing them back and sucking them dry even though its clear 5 minutes into the first camp that they will not be offered a spot on the line. some of them get strung along all summer as "alternates", even. there are other kids who pay 2-3k a year for a spot on the line, and that covers not just food and gas for the buses but big $$$$ for props, electronics, custom designed and built guard equipment, new uniforms for the guard every single year, for the whole corps every few years, and salaries for bloated staffs of 40 and 50 year olds with day jobs who then turn around and accrue income from h.s. bands by selling the reputations they earn from drum corps. talk about unfair! you could kill electronics, and drastically cut back on visual aids and props, and keep the salaries lower for the part timers who do most of the design work and charge half the dues. and lose nothing artistically by challenging designers to be creative without just cutting a check and taking the easy way out when they are writing a show.

sometimes people are special. there are people out there who just have a unique gift, and maybe the corps just really thinks that person will put them over the top.

personal anecdote....I worked at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA over the summer. My first summer not marching since 1997 (and this would be my age out summer). I was a musician in Das Festhaus. It took me a while to realize the folks working the rides, games or whatever else truly disliked the performers in the park. We got paid a substantial amount more than they did. One person asked me why we got paid so much. I didn't answer, but in my head thought "I could learn your job in a day or two most likely. It's taken me 15 years to get to this point in my life where I can get paid to play." If that person could have taken my trumpet and played my show, I probably would have just given up my position. haha.

there's always a question of what's fair or not, and sometimes the answer just sucks. Should everyone have to pay the same amount....probably. unfortunately, we don't get to decide. I'd be happy to just be marching my age out, but alas, I cannot.

Dude... Really??? Sucks being you, eh? When you complete your FULL schedule, and you reflect on what you've accomplished, will you have whine before your cheese?..... Be proud of what you do. IF YOU CHOOSE to run a full schedule, Work, Do Drum Corps AND Fly across the country to do so, then regret it when you are doing it, then how does it satisfy you? It is your choice, and your path that YOU have chosen. Concentrate through it, Don't think too hard on it, Complete it, then reflect on it. Your young... continue to be so, and enjoy every minute of it. Preach when you have learned Brother! If you do not want to pay the dues to be a part of DCI, then don't! It's ok....WE WON"T MISS YOU! If you do, then go about it and be proud of it.... at all costs. You only have one chance! I do understand it is more expensive than what it was in my day, although so is the cost of milk.... Do you think you are the only "MUSIC MAJOR" doing this? think hard friend.... DC has gotten much more professional than when I marched. Your tryouts are harder, the shows much more sophisticated, and the difficulty way higher than when I marched..... and you will be saying the same thing I am 30 years from now. Work hard.....Play Hard.... Live Hard...... Remember the good times, and let go of the negatives!

Wish You Luck Brother!

jcat

I have never ONCE regretted doing this. And i also know there are PLENTY in the same boat I am, and still some who are in even worse a situation, or the worst ever, they can't march at all. I'm not saying my life is oh so terrible, the worst, but i've had a few large bumps on the way but that is besides the point. My initial statement was me voicing my frustration on how expensive this #### thing is. And how I wish things could be cheaper for me, so I can continue to do something I love. Right now there is no way I can march unless I get sponsorships, or if somehow I get a scholarship from the corps.

I did not choose my full schedule, I have to have a full schedule, I did choose my major though. I don't choose to work. I HAVE to work. i do choose to do drum corps, and fly across the country. I don't expect you to understand this, but I have to march this season. Irrational? Unreasonable? YES! but so is drum corps!

Now one thing I do know for sure, that this isn't the biggest deal in my life. It is really just drum corps, but I still have a right to be upset, that I can't march, because I can't afford it, while other people are flat out given the money. (not talking about scholarships from a corps or sponsorships, a corps just flat out paying for someone's tuition).

I know I'm not the only music major doing this... there is a large number of us who do it. But each music major doesn't have the same money issues.

And I wasn't complaining what was fair or unfair, I knwo it's unfair, there is nothing I can do about that.

OKay, now I notice you are a new poster here on DCP. Please leave personal digs out. I don't appreciate them, other readers don't appreciate them. I apologize if a dug in my last post to you. But if you feel it necessary to dig, at least do it in a PM.

Thank you for the good luck wish. Welcome to DCP.

And mad_scotty... i agree

Right now there is no way I can march unless I get sponsorships, or if somehow I get a scholarship from the corps.

I did not choose my full schedule, I have to have a full schedule, I did choose my major though. I don't choose to work. I HAVE to work. i do choose to do drum corps, and fly across the country. I don't expect you to understand this, but I have to march this season. Irrational? Unreasonable? YES! but so is drum corps!

EVERYTHING is a choice.

you choose school over drum corps. you say "i can't march" when you really mean "i am unwilling to do what it takes to march."

there's nothing right or wrong with your decision -- just realize that it IS a decision, not an uncontrollable mandate.

if i were in your shoes -- and i very nearly was at one point -- i would have taken a semester off to make money and march. believe it or not, school can actually wait a little while.

It happens. I don't think that's in question. I've always paid my dues. But I have gotten reduced dues due to the distance that I've had to travel. I didn't pay like one camp fee in Jr. Corps because I drove instead of taking the corps bus. And I've gotten kick backs (money back) for equipment rental (mine to the corps). But in almost all cases, it still costs me money, and significant amounts of it to do and support this drum corps gig. When I was on the support staff I got paid to go on tour. One of the highest paid staffers of them all. A whopping $25 a DAY to wash dishes and take out the trash 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. I'm not entirely sure I made any money that tour once you factor in your laundry costs / replacements to be a part of the cooking staff. It's 109F on the field, well, it's 130F in the truck. And getting to and from tour isn't free either, even for most staffers.

Should someone who joins mid-tour pay full price? Should the colorguard pay the same as the hornline? Should the staff who's taking 2+ months away from their day jobs get paid? Which could mean getting a new employer every year, and otherwise delaying or dismissing any career plans to ever retire. I'm surprised that drumcorps attracts the talent that it does. Given the sacrifice that all have to make just to field. Is it fair, perhaps not. But that's one of life's little lessons. And even those who march free, probably didn't. Laundry days, meals on free days, personal transportation, and the same not getting paid to work all summer commitment as anyone else. It aint easier, it's just a little cheaper for some. In the all age corps, it's not uncommon for entire families to march a corps, and in most cases, the corps lets at least one out of 3+ family members march free.

EVERYTHING is a choice.

you choose school over drum corps. you say "i can't march" when you really mean "i am unwilling to do what it takes to march."

there's nothing right or wrong with your decision -- just realize that it IS a decision, not an uncontrollable mandate.

if i were in your shoes -- and i very nearly was at one point -- i would have taken a semester off to make money and march. believe it or not, school can actually wait a little while.

i hate to tell you this, but only someone who has faced nothing but easy choices and light responsibility could possibly think that everything is as simple as that. people have very different options to choose from sometimes, and there is no such thing as choosing drum corps over school, i'd hope that any corps director who thought a member was even contemplating that would pull them aside and try to talk them into coming back to some realistic priorities.

i hate to tell you this, but only someone who has faced nothing but easy choices and light responsibility could possibly think that everything is as simple as that. people have very different options to choose from sometimes, and there is no such thing as choosing drum corps over school, i'd hope that any corps director who thought a member was even contemplating that would pull them aside and try to talk them into coming back to some realistic priorities.

i'm not going to waste bandwidth proving to you my own personal hardships, of which there have been many. you are entitled to your thesis, of course, but you are off-the-mark on this one.

instead let me say this: i feel sad for the people who feel compelled to live their lives according to some sort of preordained script. allowing other people/circumstances to control our lives is a huge, frustrating waste of energy.

as to your second point, the education provided by a good drum corps experience has in my life proven to be FAR MORE useful than BOTH of the degrees hanging on my wall, one of which is a doctorate. i think the best corps directors would realize this.

but hey -- we can agree to disagree.

:)

instead let me say this: i feel sad for the people who feel compelled to live their lives according to some sort of preordained script. allowing other people/circumstances to control our lives is a huge, frustrating waste of energy.

as to your second point, the education provided by a good drum corps experience has in my life proven to be FAR MORE useful than BOTH of the degrees hanging on my wall, one of which is a doctorate. i think the best corps directors would realize this.

RIGHT friggin' ON!