Marching for free

to answer the original topic question...I think I'd have to say no...

if it was a for profit, job-type scenario, then sure...but not for a non-profit educational enterprise, unless said recipient of free "tuition" is doing something compensatory...

not a fan of welfare.....workfare I could handle, but not welfare.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, wouldn't more or less the same classes be held every year considering schools accept new students every year?

The people that start school your senior year aren't going to be taking senior level classes.

I find it hard to believe that taking one semester off (or not passing one class) is going to cost someone 4 more years

It depends on the school. I did qualify it as at smaller universities. Like the one I went to for one year. The only trombone player at the school. Mostly vocal music ed majors, and theatre types. At best 30 music majors in the entire school. Divided over the typical 4 classes (freshmen, ....). Some classes were only offered at best once every two years. And some of the advanced (only seniors still present and wanting to graduate) were offered every four years. Granted that in the case of missing said class opportunity, you could challenge it / or take the test for it. i.e. The student handbook is in essence your contract with the university. If a class is listed as a requirement, they have to offer it at least once every four years. (But NOT every year / semester / quarter / ???). And if the university changes requirements every year and said classes are no longer offered. They open themselves up to a lawsuit, but not really a major concern for a graduating class of 5 at most on a particular major. aka CSUSB sucked so bad(for instrumental music majors), that I dropped out and joined the army. It was one of the only ones offering the degree within 50 miles of home, so not many options there.

How about "playing better than everyone else" :tongue:

Must be an amplification thing. As that probably doesn't matter much relative to one out of sixty plus horn players in an acoustic only perspective. Or one out of 30 drummers. Although I could see the incentive if said member recruited half a dozen other members that did pay dues.

How about "playing better than everyone else" :rolleyes:

nope...according to quite a bit of people, drum corps is about teaching the kids, and has little to do with the fans, so a highly talented child would be taking a spot from someone that actually needs the teaching...

or...you could look at like...well, they talented kid needs less teaching, so he takes up less of the instructor's time.

not for profit enterprises aren't supposed to show favoritism...(unless you belong to ACORN, of course)

nope...according to quite a bit of people, drum corps is about teaching the kids, and has little to do with the fans, so a highly talented child would be taking a spot from someone that actually needs the teaching...

or...you could look at like...well, they talented kid needs less teaching, so he takes up less of the instructor's time.

not for profit enterprises aren't supposed to show favoritism...(unless you belong to ACORN, of course)

I don't know about that -- there are lots of not-for-profit independant schools, for example, that still have academic standards to get in or otherwise have a selection criteria. They're not required to accept the ones that require the most teaching. An argument could be made that certain schools (or in this instance, corps) are specifically organized to teach students at a higher level and so "beginners" or those with less than stellar credentials/talents should go elsewhere where they can be taught at the proper level.

It's up to each organization to set their own standards and then sink or swim with it ....

IMO it's more than fair to pay at least partly for kids who show a lot of dedication and can't pay for themselves. College is a hard time and not all parents are as generous as mine (:P)... I think it's a lot more arguable whether or not it's fair to give star players free rides. I think if they're unable to pay for it, which puts them back in the first scenario, that's fine, and if them being better than other people who are equally not-well-off makes them more likely to get the money, that's fine too. But if privileged people who have grown up with a fantastic education which allowed them to become better easier (I know that you can become great regardless of where you are or what you have, but it's naive to refuse that it's easier if you have good instruction/equipment/peers) receive money for just being great, that's a little ######. It's still relatively fair. But ######.

I've asked this before in other threads and have never gotten a definitive answer (and since is kinda tangentally connected to the discussion at hand):

Is there any actual, written rule in DCI that prohibits a corps from paying members to perform? Is there any wording that requires "amateur" status to perform?

(disregard the fact the no current corps could afford it -- just talking in hypotheticals)

(and please don't bring up any not-for-profit reasoning -- that has nothing to do with it)

I don't know about that -- there are lots of not-for-profit independant schools, for example, that still have academic standards to get in or otherwise have a selection criteria. They're not required to accept the ones that require the most teaching. An argument could be made that certain schools (or in this instance, corps) are specifically organized to teach students at a higher level and so "beginners" or those with less than stellar credentials/talents should go elsewhere where they can be taught at the proper level.

It's up to each organization to set their own standards and then sink or swim with it ....

tad bit of difference between a school and a competitive arts thingy.

If it's all about winning, then I guess it's ok, but no top corps ever says it's all about winning. To allow a member a free ride just because he/she is more talented is hypocritical.

tad bit of difference between a school and a competitive arts thingy.

If it's all about winning, then I guess it's ok, but no top corps ever says it's all about winning. To allow a member a free ride just because he/she is more talented is hypocritical.

Again -- not really. Let's take a college prep school for example. They are a not-for-profit orgainzation accredited by the state to teach high school studies. But they are designed to cater to the top students (Ivy-League bound, for example). They can pick and choose their students based on whatever scholastic criteria they choose. Another not-for-profit independant school down the street takes kids that are struggling in school and tries to just get them diplomas so they have more options in life. Both high schools, both accredited, both successful at their mission.

So how is it different for a corps? One drum corps can be designed as a street-level "take-all-comers" music education facility. They will put a horn in your hand and teach you to play and march and be a part of a team. Another corps has an educational mission, too, but there's is to take those that have a achieved a level of success and expertise in their playing and marching and teach them/push them to the next level. Both corps succeed in their mission regardless of what the judges on the competitve performance field say. Doesn't make it all about winning. It's still could be about matching the students to the properly challenged teaching/learning environment.

I'm not saying necessarily that there aren't corps out there that put winning over their education mission. There may be. All I'm saying is that just because an organization is a not-for-profit with an educational mission, doesn't mean that they can't pick and choose their students to match their specific mission, that's all.