The End to the Color Guard Controversy

Both Midwest, and western regional guards did push spins when I marched, and the eastern guards did the drop spins. Malibu, Sally or anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

deftguy,

I believe most of the East Coast was doing push spins except for 27th......although I could be wrong. I do know Crossmen did push spins up until 1982 when Dan Brown and Eric Kitcherman wrote the book for the guard.

I would have to guesstimate and say that 98% of guards today are doing drop spins. Now if we can get them to eliminate those "chicken arms" doing Peggy Spins, I'll be happy! b**bs

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i for one even when working with my beginner really harp on them if they look like birds taking flight when they are doing drop spins.

My rule of thumb was to relax the elbows and wrists, and keep the hands down below the belly button. It took a lot of harping on that, especially with beginners. They'd start in the correct position, but eight counts later they'd start climbing. I just kept at 'em. ^0^

Yep, Byline, that's the technique I use on my guard as well.....relaxed elbow and a MUST, keep the hands in the "spin zone" being the belly button area.

Like you said, beginners tend to start climbing up to their chest. They don't realize that they are only using more energy by holding their arms up higher.......energy that they will need later.

OK, question for you guys about hand position on the pole during a spin........some groups I have judged are dropping into the flag with their left hand while others are dropping below the flag....in the tape area, tab or bottom of silk. Which do you prefer? My guard kids marching in Crossmen say they drop below the flag not into the silk.

I've done it both ways and I guess it really matters on how wide the flag is on the pole.

Malibu:

I always taught my guard to spin at the "tape" (where the flag is taped to the pole)...we usually used flags that were porportionate to the pole (read: bottom of flag/tape area was balance point for pole)...so it made sense to use the tape as a reference, so the hands weren't traveling up and down the pole. Does that make sense?

In other words, use the tape...perfect reference point...you can feel it, you can see it...don't have to look at it to know where it is.

Yep, Byline, that's the technique I use on my guard as well.....relaxed elbow and a MUST, keep the hands in the "spin zone" being the belly button area.

Like you said, beginners tend to start climbing up to their chest. They don't realize that they are only using more energy by holding their arms up higher.......energy that they will need later.

I really think it had to do with a fear of hitting the ground--or their feet--with the flag end of the pole. I had to keep telling them, "You're not going to hit the ground. Your feet are safe. Relax those elbows! Drop them to your sides. The spin is so much easier that way." You'd think getting them to do something the easy way would be a piece of cake, but no. I'd have to keep reminding them. And then, we'd get it looking good in a basic block, but as was the case with most things, get them doing drop spins in a drill, and up went the elbows. So we'd have to go at it all over again with the drill.

As far as where I had my guard members catch the flag in the drop position, I always used the tape line. As you note, it does depend on the size of the flag, but by and large, we had pretty standard-sized flags, so the tape line on the flag was a pretty consistent reference point.

when I was first changed over to drop spins I had a big time tendency to "fly" ... I' ve always attributed it to the 70s ... proper technique for push spins (at least in SCV) was elbows out with all the rotation happening in the wrist ... that feels bizarre now when I try to do it !!! Weird how things change :huh:

Last weekend I was judging a Music Festival where they had incorporated a parade competition.....well, there was this group from PA....oh my! Some girls were doing drop spins while others were doing push spins......you can imagine what I said on the tape......no seriously, I was nice. However I did give WGI a plug.....I told them to check out their website to purchase some videos. b**bs

Maybe its because I'm such a youngin, but what exactly is a push spin? Just wondering if I know it by another name. Thanks.

Maybe its because I'm such a youngin, but what exactly is a push spin?  Just wondering if I know it by another name.  Thanks.

In order to do a "push spin" you have your left hand on top of the right hand (palm out.....thumb down)

.....you simply "push" the flag with the left hand and catch under with the right hand.

In the "old days" there was a specific count to "push" catch, turn the left around then rest a beat and repeat. So it would be a 1-4 move......by the mid 70s most groups did a more "continuous" spin eliminating the "turn" with the left hand and the 4th count rest......so it would be a "2 count" movement instead of 4. We did "push spins" in Crossmen until 1982 when the "drop spin" was introduced.

Edited by Malibu

Maybe its because I'm such a youngin, but what exactly is a push spin?  Just wondering if I know it by another name.  Thanks.

Malibu gives a good description of a push spin, but just so you know what she means by "palm out," that's if you're standing on the football field, facing the front sideline, your left hand is turned around so that the palm also faces the front sideline. (Your left hand pushes the flag, while your right hand--located underneath your left hand, palm facing your left--catches it between the thumb and the rest of your fingers wrapped around the pole. I'd say both hands are about 6 inches apart.)

Using your left hand, wrap your fingers around the flag, gripping it in the upright position (with your right hand underneath, as described above), then let go with your right hand and push the flag around counterclockwise into an upright position, rotating your left wrist and catching the flag with your right hand underneath. (Your left hand will end with the palm facing up, the flag between your thumb and forefinger, the rest of the fingers relaxed.) You then take your left hand off the flag, turn it around so that the palm faces out again, and push the flag around again into an upright position. And so on, in a sequence of spins. Each spin is 2 counts long.

Gee, that reads pretty complicated. It's one of those things that's easier to demonstrate than to describe. :huh:

The only term I've ever heard those go by is "push" spins.

Edited by byline