Soprano/Trumpet as Carry-on Bag

G-horns

I saw a guy get a bari sax on a plane once. It's just a matter of walking quickly and with purpose. If you're in the AFM they can supply letters that basically say "this is the tool of my livelihood, leave it alone."

Not in the AFM. I'm in the OFDCA - Old Farts Drum Corps Association.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average bottle of valve oil is only 2.5-3 oz. so it shouldn't be a problem.

when our wind ensemble toured ireland a couple of years ago, most of us had our instruments as carry-ons. even the bari sax had no problem. The only people who had to check their instruments were the bass bone, tubas, string bass, and percussion. bring your valve oil, just throw it in one of those little plastic bags and you'll be fine.

I haven't had any issues with valve oil. If you have a Pro-Tec single horn case, you shouldn't have any trouble. Did anyone see the article today about the airline in Europe that is charging $40 at the gate for a second carry on? Laptop, purse, whatever.....they consider them all carry ons now rather than "One carry on and one personal item". Won;t be long before that trickles down to the US carriers.

I don't think the valve oil has been an issue for a year or so.

I don't remember any issues in 04 or 06 when Dream flew back east. MiniSopGuy had an issue in 04...I think he's used his sop case as a bit of additional luggage and when it went through the X-ray it piqued some interest until he (carefully) opened it up.

Bob can say if I remembered that right, tho.

The issue I had was when I flew with both the Sop and Picc sop in a gig bag. It was a 3 horn gig bag but the insert they provided was really cheap and didnt give much protection between the horns, so I used a vinyl covered foam pouch I had for the picc. The only other thing in the bag was a neck pillow and CD player w/headphones.

When the case went through the x-ray, they looked for a long time. I asked what the problem was and the person was actually looking hard at the mouthpiece case wondering what they were. It is a zipper case with 8 pieces, I guess he must have thought they were really big bullets or something. I told him what it was offered to open it and show them, but they let it go.

After they were fine with the x-ray however, the TSA person selected my bag and asked if they could do a random sampling on my bag where they wipe the case with a small patch of cloth and put the swab in a machine that "sniffs" for gun powder and other chemicals for explosives. Well that machine is real sensative. I got questioned before they opened the bag and pulled my horns out. Then it hit me.......

The vinyl covered foam pouch I used for the picc is from one of my gun bags that I used to carry firearms to the range. Ooops! I explained and they checked it and let me go on to my flight.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

The issue I had was when I flew with both the Sop and Picc sop in a gig bag. It was a 3 horn gig bag but the insert they provided was really cheap and didnt give much protection between the horns, so I used a vinyl covered foam pouch I had for the picc. The only other thing in the bag was a neck pillow and CD player w/headphones.

Ahh...thanks....my memory if that year is a bit hazy.

When the case went through the x-ray, they looked for a long time. I asked what the problem was and the person was actually looking hard at the mouthpiece case wondering what they were. It is a zipper case with 8 pieces, I guess he must have thought they were really big bullets or something. I told him what it was offered to open it and show them, but they let it go.

Oh yeah....I rememerer that bag...still can't believe that assymetric piece!

After they were fine with the x-ray however, the TSA person selected my bag and asked if they could do a random sampling on my bag where they wipe the case with a small patch of cloth and put the swab in a machine that "sniffs" for gun powder and other chemicals for explosives. Well that machine is real sensative. I got questioned before they opened the bag and pulled my horns out. Then it hit me.......

The vinyl covered foam pouch I used for the picc is from one of my gun bags that I used to carry firearms to the range. Ooops! I explained and they checked it and let me go on to my flight.

Now THAT one I didn't know....that was the same trip they pulled me out of the line as the random, more intensive search (must've been the mutton chops I was sporting!)

and Jettones :worthy:

of course if they ask where you are going, I'd probably not mention the Renegades and CNY - that'll probably get you a thorough cavity search.

I thought all Renegades were put on some sort of FBI/FFA watch list? :thumbup:

Whatever you do, don't load up your carry-on with music or books. My wife did that and they couldn't get the beam to penetrate the stack. They pulled the bag and did a full search and gave her a lecture. A few of you might know my wife - she doesn't mince her words. When she started to make noise I quitely told her to just be quiet or we would probably miss our flight. Of course, she was under a bit of stress because we needed to get home so she could be with her father during his last days.

Eight pieces! Darn! I thought my four-piece pouch was a bit of over-kill. It rides in my trumpet/flugel bag with an extra trumpet piece (my Parduba is always in my pocket), a piece for the flugel, a frenchie piece or two and a couple of adapters. When I was marching with a frenchie, I ALWAYS brought an extra piece since borrowing one if I lost mine just wouldn't happen. For my soprano, I'll keep the Parduba in the case with the horn (in the receiver) and pack a spare piece in my checked bag.