Do we need a new "Bridgemen" or "Velvet Knights" t

Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?

• YES
    • NO

I have the clause to opt out of my contract! I might have a couple years left in me, if my knees hold out!!! :shutup:

Oh wait... I only have to march on and off the field!

Come on, Karen!

Join Ray, and come pay us a visit!!! :thumbup:

Well Jim, lucky for Karen, besides the march rehearsal, we now have 4/18 open for a full corp rehearsal !!!!!!!!

That would be a extra rehearsal for her to get her chops back dont ya think?

Personally Id rather have a rehearsal to get the corp to max performance level for the TOS anyway......

Hoping to see Karen and anyone else who wants to be a Bridgemen there......................

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Jim, lucky for Karen, besides the march rehearsal, we now have 4/18 open for a full corp rehearsal !!!!!!!!

That would be a extra rehearsal for her to get her chops back dont ya think?

Personally Id rather have a rehearsal to get the corp to max performance level for the TOS anyway......

Hoping to see Karen and anyone else who wants to be a Bridgemen there......................

Just to chip in my couple of cents here - Karen, regardless of how good she may be on the bari, is way more valuable as a major. It's not especially because of her conducting, which is as good as anyone's, or her repartee with the crowd, which is excellent. It's her leadership. Our one season together, in 1984 with Bayonne, was one of the most difficult seasons any corps has ever been through, with popcorn lunches, and no money, no food, a flu (or was it food poisoning? oh, wait, you have to have food for that) epidemic, really - you name it - it was like the death march to Corregidor. Karen's leadership never flagged during that process, in fact was never less than superb. Between her and people like the late great Frank Perdue and others, the corps perservered and many of the people in that group went on to exhibit extrordinary skills in dealing with life.

I'm a Jim Jordan fan, and he, together with Claire Emmons, Jerry Morecraft, Diane Brady and others, deserves his iconic stature that he still holds (OK, it doesn't hurt that he still looks like a movie star while many of us have gone on to look more like Shrek).

Karen belongs in that group I mentioned, and shouldn't take a back seat to any of them. One of the many ways that Bayonne was (and continues to be) blessed was their (our?) choices of drum majors.

Just to chip in my couple of cents here - Karen, regardless of how good she may be on the bari, is way more valuable as a major. It's not especially because of her conducting, which is as good as anyone's, or her repartee with the crowd, which is excellent. It's her leadership. Our one season together, in 1984 with Bayonne, was one of the most difficult seasons any corps has ever been through, with popcorn lunches, and no money, no food, a flu (or was it food poisoning? oh, wait, you have to have food for that) epidemic, really - you name it - it was like the death march to Corregidor. Karen's leadership never flagged during that process, in fact was never less than superb. Between her and people like the late great Frank Perdue and others, the corps perservered and many of the people in that group went on to exhibit extrordinary skills in dealing with life.

I'm a Jim Jordan fan, and he, together with Claire Emmons, Jerry Morecraft, Diane Brady and others, deserves his iconic stature that he still holds (OK, it doesn't hurt that he still looks like a movie star while many of us have gone on to look more like Shrek).

Karen belongs in that group I mentioned, and shouldn't take a back seat to any of them. One of the many ways that Bayonne was (and continues to be) blessed was their (our?) choices of drum majors.

Thank you very much, Ray! You are too kind!

And I agree with you about Karen! She is just terrific! I wasn't with the corps in 1984, but I've heard just how difficult it was, from just about every perspective. George Lavelle, and several others have also told me that Karen's contributions to the Bridgemen were just outstanding, and she was a true leader, during the horrible "storm" that was the 1984 season!

Hopefully, we will see her, carrying a mello, conducting, or just visiting, very soon!

And, by the way, much of what I learned, as a DM, instructor, and even more so, as a person, I learned from you.

Thank you for your guidance, and leadership!

Yes, but The Drum Corps Gods only let you play soprano and have denied you the ability to play that contra part, which is pure butter. Pure...Butter.

Ah, yes. pure butter. (and squeaky thing, too)

However, it is the Mellos that are the pure silk that tie it all together. Making Dreams Spanish and Whales sing. :thumbup:

Edited by Mellofello01

Hello all you Drumcorp nutz out there,

Well the great news for all of you still on the fencers is that the ranks of the Bridgemen are still open !!!!!! and the next good news is that we have rehearsals coming up in march so you can come down and join or just watch.....

The rehearsal dates are as follows March 1, 21, and 22nd...... all at St Andrews Hall in good ole Bayonne, NJ and they start at 12 noon til 6pm

Naturally there is spots in all areas..... come on down and fill one or make one even bigger than it is !!!!!

The Drumline had a clinic last weekend and a few DCP'ers were in the house to see the show (not only us but Tommy Igoe and others)....and the review the drumline got was very favorable with high comliments on the new drum solo that Dennis Delucia wrote this year........We can use a couple more snares to fill the line out, so if ya want the challange of a great drum book why not stop on by and sit in ..... you might just join up after that :)

Remember MARCH 1ST 21ST AND 22ND ST ANDREWS HALL BAYONNE, N J 12 NOON

Rick Tabor

Hello all you Drumcorp nutz out there,

Well the great news for all of you still on the fencers is that the ranks of the Bridgemen are still open !!!!!! and the next good news is that we have rehearsals coming up in march so you can come down and join or just watch.....

The rehearsal dates are as follows March 1, 21, and 22nd...... all at St Andrews Hall in good ole Bayonne, NJ and they start at 12 noon til 6pm

Naturally there is spots in all areas..... come on down and fill one or make one even bigger than it is !!!!!

The Drumline had a clinic last weekend and a few DCP'ers were in the house to see the show (not only us but Tommy Igoe and others)....and the review the drumline got was very favorable with high comliments on the new drum solo that Dennis Delucia wrote this year........We can use a couple more snares to fill the line out, so if ya want the challange of a great drum book why not stop on by and sit in ..... you might just join up after that :)

Remember MARCH 1ST 21ST AND 22ND ST ANDREWS HALL BAYONNE, N J 12 NOON

Rick Tabor

Bump Bridgemen style lol

Whoa. How did I miss so much of this thread?

Jimmy J. and Ray, honestly I am blown away by the amazingly kind words in this thread. Seriously, I am just floored. You are two of the people I admire so much in this activity, so to have you say such kind and positive things simply knocks me out. I am speechless...which as you both know is a pretty rare condition for me.

Mr. Jordan, you were the first DM I ever saw with the Bridgemen, and to me you still set the very high standard. It just seems so "right" to have you leading the yellow team onto the field, but I understand if you need a break - especially if it's a break to play in this very cool new hornline. I loved conducting this group, and would be honored to do it again. Perhpas you and I need to work out a drum major murderous scene, ala our young friends in Phantom this past year? Of course, we would have to do ours Jersey style. (Tony Soprano meets Spartacus? Hey, did I ever tell you I went to high school with James Gandolfini?) Details to be worked out, at some point during next season! I would love, love, love to work with you!

Ray, where do I start? 1984 was such a tough, tough year. But it was such a wonderfully collaborative group that season. We took turns propping each other up. I would have never made it through that season without the wonderful inline leadership of people like Jerome, John R., George, Frankie, Scott Taylor, Glenda, and so, so many others. Whether it was the quiet intensity of Fennette or the throw down craziness of some of our more "veteran" folks, we really pulled each other through such a tough scene. True story: I had no idea we finished 14th until I stood next to a kid from Troops at the first Star camp in 85 and the subject came up. I was so focused on making Finals, and when I failed to get us there, I simply assumed we had fallen into 13th place. I don't think anyone had the heart/guts to tell me otherwise, until this poor ######## brought it up in Bloomington. I remember grabbing Joey Keays to ask him if it was true, and he teared up immediately. Yikes! We were quite damaged, still, at that point in time!

But here we are! I am in absolute awe of what you, the Bridgemen v2.0 have been able to put together. You have filled a real void in the activity, and the fans are so, so appreciative! It really is a bit of a time machine, and I'm jealous as hell that I haven't been able to be a part of all of this fun. That's got to change! I'm going to work to get into the best shape possible and clear my calendar to the extent that I can so that I can jump onboard this magical ride and help in any way I can in 2010. If I'm the worst mellophone, so be it. (Come on, Ray. You're up to the challenge!) If I'm filling in parts in the pit, that's cool too. If I'm up on the podium while Mr. Jordan gets to re-live his hornline days, that would be amazing. If you need me to drive a bus, I can probably figure that out, too.

Please know how much love and respect is out here, just trying our best to beam our affection in your direction. Right now, my little boys need me, but even they are starting to ask when they "...can see Mommy do this drum corps thing for real, and not just on DVD's." I'm going to do my best to be ready to help next year. You guys have a wonderful Summer and just figure out where I can help next year.

With much love and admiration,

Karen

Whoa. How did I miss so much of this thread?

Jimmy J. and Ray, honestly I am blown away by the amazingly kind words in this thread. Seriously, I am just floored. You are two of the people I admire so much in this activity, so to have you say such kind and positive things simply knocks me out. I am speechless...which as you both know is a pretty rare condition for me.

Mr. Jordan, you were the first DM I ever saw with the Bridgemen, and to me you still set the very high standard. It just seems so "right" to have you leading the yellow team onto the field, but I understand if you need a break - especially if it's a break to play in this very cool new hornline. I loved conducting this group, and would be honored to do it again. Perhpas you and I need to work out a drum major murderous scene, ala our young friends in Phantom this past year? Of course, we would have to do ours Jersey style. (Tony Soprano meets Spartacus? Hey, did I ever tell you I went to high school with James Gandolfini?) Details to be worked out, at some point during next season! I would love, love, love to work with you!

Ray, where do I start? 1984 was such a tough, tough year. But it was such a wonderfully collaborative group that season. We took turns propping each other up. I would have never made it through that season without the wonderful inline leadership of people like Jerome, John R., George, Frankie, Scott Taylor, Glenda, and so, so many others. Whether it was the quiet intensity of Fennette or the throw down craziness of some of our more "veteran" folks, we really pulled each other through such a tough scene. True story: I had no idea we finished 14th until I stood next to a kid from Troops at the first Star camp in 85 and the subject came up. I was so focused on making Finals, and when I failed to get us there, I simply assumed we had fallen into 13th place. I don't think anyone had the heart/guts to tell me otherwise, until this poor ######## brought it up in Bloomington. I remember grabbing Joey Keays to ask him if it was true, and he teared up immediately. Yikes! We were quite damaged, still, at that point in time!

But here we are! I am in absolute awe of what you, the Bridgemen v2.0 have been able to put together. You have filled a real void in the activity, and the fans are so, so appreciative! It really is a bit of a time machine, and I'm jealous as hell that I haven't been able to be a part of all of this fun. That's got to change! I'm going to work to get into the best shape possible and clear my calendar to the extent that I can so that I can jump onboard this magical ride and help in any way I can in 2010. If I'm the worst mellophone, so be it. (Come on, Ray. You're up to the challenge!) If I'm filling in parts in the pit, that's cool too. If I'm up on the podium while Mr. Jordan gets to re-live his hornline days, that would be amazing. If you need me to drive a bus, I can probably figure that out, too.

Please know how much love and respect is out here, just trying our best to beam our affection in your direction. Right now, my little boys need me, but even they are starting to ask when they "...can see Mommy do this drum corps thing for real, and not just on DVD's." I'm going to do my best to be ready to help next year. You guys have a wonderful Summer and just figure out where I can help next year.

Karen

Hey Karen,

You dont know me.....I aged out in 79 and was a tenor tech in 80 and 81 but that dont matter cause your my Bridgemen

sister and as from what Jimmy tells me about you, I would mos def like to meet you. Im #3 bass now and enjoying every second of this magical ride with the Bridgemen after twenty something years, and you too will experience it next season if things workout the way you and I hope they will :)....

I hope you might be able to stop by a rehearsal and say hello and than I can put a face to the name LOL

and I sure James and Ray would love to see you too without a doubt......

Hope to see you soon

Rick Tabor #3

Whoa. ! I'm going to work to get into the best shape possible and clear my calendar to the extent that I can so that I can jump onboard this magical ride and help in any way I can in 2010. If I'm the worst mellophone, so be it. (Come on, Ray. You're up to the challenge!) If I'm filling in parts in the pit, that's cool too. If I'm up on the podium while Mr. Jordan gets to re-live his hornline days, that would be amazing. If you need me to drive a bus, I can probably figure that out, too.

Karen

Karen - just hurry it up!!! I'm really ######## old (I didn't type the word, just the ###) and haven't got all that much time left, plus who knows how long these folks are going to be able to stand me??? I would definitely love another year working with you. One of the things about parenting is that I think it's good for the kids to see you in a dynamic role other than on the tube. Gives them that sort of, "you should have seen my mom in Allentown three weeks ago - she was AWESOME!!!" mystique back in school.

You'll have to forgive me. I'm sure you're a fine player - I can only see you as drum major - you and Jimmy J are going to have to work that one out - 100 yards by 50+ yards is a big field, and the corps plays a pile of music. If I remember correctly, Jim shared the podium before, and things went pretty well. Plus in modern (???) alumni corps (might be a contradiction of terms in there) he can always pick up a horn and jam while you're conducting. The idea of putting you back in line seems a bit like handing General Petraeus a rifle though. (is that too obscure?)

Anyhow, don't put this off too far. I'm not getting any younger. James Gandolfini, huh? Did he ever make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

Anyhow, don't put this off too far. I'm not getting any younger. James Gandolfini, huh? Did he ever make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

You're one of the "youngest" people I know, Ray, but I hear you! As for Jamie, let's just say he was a few years older than I am and that I remember him when he was thin and had a full head of hair!

Cheers!

Karen