Increase corps to 175 ?

175? --That's crazy!!

Non-profits like ours are going to suffer this year because of the recession. Corps have a hard enough time surviving this crisis and a hard enough time finding 150 talented members to compete in this circuit. Don't make it even harder by adding more members.

If you just want to see 10 corps in World Class Corps in DCI, than vote for 175, but don't count on me attending any of the shows if my corps doesn't make the cut. DCI makes their money from their fans and corps alumni. So if there are less World Class Corps competing, there are less fans attending the shows. Simple as that!

I enjoy the corps that place 13th through 24 just as much as the top 12.

All I'm saying is that you should support your corps no matter what and keep drum corps going. Too many great corps have folded because of the financial burden of this activity; and adding more members to the mix will only kill DCI as we know it.

Edited by xbones7480

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humans usually require food three times in a 24 hour period (not counting snacks). In the Drum Corps world they also require equipment, uniforms, housing, instructors and transportation. Add another 25 and do the math.

Edited by Piper

What I was trying to get at is the fact that there are people who think certain college bands are amazing and great and they at least seem to consider their performances comparable to those of some corps. That is more of what I am disagreeing with. I know that there are some great college bands out there, and I really enjoy watching them. I get over the dirtiness and enjoy the product on the field that is being performed. I enjoy watching what is being put out there.

Does that help clarify a little bit?

Just to add to this...This is an apples/oranges comparison..the marching band at the university level is there ONLY to enhance the atmosphere at football games (and in most cases is at least partially, if not fully, funded by the athletic department)..and in many cases, they demand BIG. They do sometimes multiple shows a year; do pre and post game performances and events, and play ceaselessly during the games; which means they must have a fairly large reperitoire. They also so this with limited time during a academic week. Meanwhile, the sole required performance responsibility of a corps is to perfect and perform a 12-minute state-of-the-art competition show (alhough many other corps do some other things from time-to-time) to perfection..or very close to it. They prepare throuought the year; and have a literally round-the-clock saturation in preparation, performance, and travel in the activity from late May to the end of Worlds.

You just cannot fairly compare the two.

Let's see now.....175 members in a drum corps ? :laughing::laughing:

That's 4 buses....more food, drinks, larger housing ....... :w00t:

OH YA...in a RECESSION ?????? :guinesssmilie::blink:

I don't think that would be financially responsible or smart. :smile:

Go back to 128 and use three buses. :laughing:

175? --That's crazy!!

Non-profits like ours are going to suffer this year because of the recession. Corps have a hard enough time surviving this crisis and a hard enough time finding 150 talented members to compete in this circuit. Don't make it even harder by adding more members.

If you just want to see 10 corps in World Class Corps in DCI, than vote for 175, but don't count on me attending any of the shows if my corps doesn't make the cut. DCI makes their money from their fans and corps alumni. So if there are less World Class Corps competing, there are less fans attending the shows. Simple as that!

I enjoy the corps that place 13th through 24 just as much as the top 12.

All I'm saying is that you should support your corps no matter what and keep drum corps going. Too many great corps have folded because of the financial burden of this activity; and adding more members to the mix will only kill DCI as we know it.

Ok I guess I'll just put you down as a NO !!!!!! :troll food: :smile::guinesssmilie::laughing::w00t::blink: Edited by rudi man

If you're going to add beyond 150, I would vote to add in increments equal to another busload. It makes no business sense to go down the road with empty seats. If you can sell 'em, then you should sell 'em.

Once they get over 250, the field will become too crowded. I've watched the Big 10 college bands for a million years, and I'd say that those over 250 are just too big to do anything that would be accepted by current-day drum corps fans. The sound of 175 horns could be pretty spectacular, imho.

I assure you I wasn't making an attempt to compare drum corps with college marching bands. I used Ship as an example of a good college band. Honestly, they are the only good, non major university band, I have recently seen.

So, how many different shows does WCU of Pa put on the field in one season?

and just to remind you...

btw..

Michigan Marching Band certainly does not look or sound 'like crap' Sir. Talk about a major university band with a staff that comes from the drum corps world...

Prof. Scott Boerma, Director http://mmb.music.umich.edu/staff/boerma.asp

Chuck Ricotta, Percussion Instructor http://mmb.music.umich.edu/staff/ricotta.asp

Joan Noble-Pruett, Silk Instructor http://mmb.music.umich.edu/staff/np.asp

They are great for college bands, but it still looks cluttered on the field. And I still think thinks could sound a lot better.

WCU does one pre-game show (fight songs.. and one fun pretty much stand still tune). And one halftime show. Check it out on that tube site. Make sure to check out a couple of shows from over the years and tell me what you think. If you want too. And try to check out from shows later in the fall season, lol. We have a lot posted on there. And yes we have some drum corps personalities in charge of stuff.

And about Ship. I will say they are pretty decent for a college band. Especially at a school where there are no music majors. You should go to the Collegiate Band Festival in Allentown next year. it's always a great show. A lot of good college bands. Including Ship, Delaware, UMass, and West Chester. All bands with a similar but different style. It's really cool.

I recommend every one to go to it!