I Have To Vent!

To the original question of the OP: There is one thing that comes to my mind about "why" do a movie on "showbands", not drum corps: It seems to me, at least, that showbands know what they're about. They know what they are there for, what their purpose is. And they do it well. As one of the eariler posters said - they can pull the crowd to its feet. Drum corps, on the other hand.........How many YEARS have we debated what the purpose of drum corps is? What is it's mission? Who is it for? We, my friends, have an identity problem. And have had it for quite some time. And, maybe, to an "outsider", it shows. Maybe angst over what the purpose is doesn't translate well into the silver screen. I fully expect another summer is coming just like the first summer of amplified voice, as we debate who went "too far" with electronics, or whether it adds to the show or is a cheap crutch, etc.

Win.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a different style. Just like classical trombone and jazz trombone are different.

But the fundamentals should be the same, I feel like with the show style bands they forget about the fundamentals of being a musician. I really don't think you can blame the people are teaching. Unfortunately the general public finds poor musicianship as entertaining. Cause blatting sousaphones laying down a sick beat is cooler than 16 contras creating a wall of beautiful dark, in tune sound.

The show style, corps style debate will go on forever. Just like the G vs Bb argument, or the... oh i'll stop now.

Its called STYLE!!!! And what sucks for us is that ours didn't make it to the big screen. THATS IT! We have no right whatsoever to call their marching style or performance style "less" than ours, just because its different. I guess this could be called a battle of music races, because I know that no one who posts here on DCP is racist....right? Honestly, the "Black College" style can be a lot more entertaining than drum corps, both in rehearsal and performance. Entertaining, meaning, it can get the crowd fired up and dancing 10x faster than a corps show could.

Furthermore, if you took some random person who knows nothing about music and bought them a ticket to a drum corps show and a southern college marching band review, I bet you my entire next paycheck they will say something like: "The college bands were a lot more fun to watch, but the drum corps were clearly more skilled and had a lot more to do on the field." So please stop badmouthing ANYONE who still finds their passion and enjoyment playing music on a football field...there aren't that many of us left....

I think you nailed it when you said above that most people liked the movie on screen drumming because it was " more fun to watch ", while acknowledging that DCI Drum lines are " clearly more skilled ".

So why in heaven's name do we still have debate posts on here almost each month re. why DCI Drum Corps are not growing more among the general public ?

Well..... duh .

Edited by BRASSO

I think you nailed it when you said above that most people liked the movie on screen drumming because it was " more fun to watch ", while acknowledging that DCI Drum lines are " clearly more skilled ".

So why in heaven's name do we still have debate posts on here almost each month re. why DCI Drum Corps are not growing more among the general public ?

Well..... duh .

Totally agree with the "Well..... duh . I love the Drum Corps drum playing style Much more than the Show Band style of drumming. I have to admit though that the Show bands sometimes put on one heckuva show. Sometimes the little wiff of DCI snobery can be quite odiferous!

Edited by Perry S

Drum corps strives to create the best, most professional production possible. We are judged on sound quality, technique, and production. Southern college bands strive to create sheer entertainment, often at the cost of technique. They are judged on style, effect, and crowd response, not much of which really relate to specific skill. Furthermore, Southern bands rely on their members to have a good understanding of their instrument and how to march, as most of their marching style relies on sheer physical strength and athleticism. In drum corps, the specific lessons of how to march are all taught from scratch, with our athleticism being revealed in our endurance over the span of the production, not in our actual physical strength.

...Southern college bands

You might want to be a little more specific. "Show Style" marching bands exist throughout the country and many Southern college marching bands are corps-style.

You've really done it now, kickhalts

Totally agree with the "Well..... duh . I love the Drum Corps drum playing style Much more than the Show Band style of drumming. I have to admit though that the Show bands sometimes put on one heckuva show. Sometimes the little wiff of DCI snobery can be quite odiferous!

Maybe. But I'd rather be a King than a Court Jester. :thumbup: