I Have To Vent!

Last week "Drum Line" The Musical came to Sarasota, FL. Our drum line played outside while concert goers were entering. Now, ever since Drum Line came out on the movie there has been this fascination with the "black" college drum lines. Now I understand they are entertaining to watch BUT....put them up against any DCI or DCA line and they got nothing on them. Now this is my opinion. I was hoping that Drum Line II would come out with a drum and bugle corps scenario. Talk about marching and drumming "your stones off!"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skill, talent, and performance levels...I don't think you'd get an argument from anyone.

LOL. Go check out some vids on youtube and look for the arguments of DCI vs. HBCU players.

I actually went to a premiere of it in Dallas. The director of the film was there and I had a chance to speak with him before the movie. Told him how excited I was to see the marching arts in such a public medium.

Then I got to see him after the film and tell him that it was a bastardization of the art and that it would mislead young students, especially young black students, to what being a drum line is about and the level of excellence that can be attained.

Sure enough, I was working for a predominantly black school in south Ft. Worth a couple years later and that's all the drumline wanted to be. Amazing kids, great attitudes, and tons of talent all channeled to the wrong place because they want to look like Nick Cannon.

I actually went to a premiere of it in Dallas. The director of the film was there and I had a chance to speak with him before the movie. Told him how excited I was to see the marching arts in such a public medium.

Then I got to see him after the film and tell him that it was a bastardization of the art and that it would mislead young students, especially young black students, to what being a drum line is about and the level of excellence that can be attained.

Sure enough, I was working for a predominantly black school in south Ft. Worth a couple years later and that's all the drumline wanted to be. Amazing kids, great attitudes, and tons of talent all channeled to the wrong place because they want to look like Nick Cannon.

Wow...I'm all for corps style drumlines, but calling 'drumline' a bastardization??? I dont think so. Maybe its not your thing...maybe its not very clean...maybe their beats arent as hard, but who cares. A lot of people love it, and I'm happy to leave it at that.

Any Drum Corps kid who has disciplinary problems should be forced to play that style for two consecutive weeks. That'll cure 'em! :laughing:

Its called STYLE!!!! And what sucks for us is that ours didn't make it to the big screen. THATS IT! We have no right whatsoever to call their marching style or performance style "less" than ours, just because its different. I guess this could be called a battle of music races, because I know that no one who posts here on DCP is racist....right? Honestly, the "Black College" style can be a lot more entertaining than drum corps, both in rehearsal and performance. Entertaining, meaning, it can get the crowd fired up and dancing 10x faster than a corps show could.

Furthermore, if you took some random person who knows nothing about music and bought them a ticket to a drum corps show and a southern college marching band review, I bet you my entire next paycheck they will say something like: "The college bands were a lot more fun to watch, but the drum corps were clearly more skilled and had a lot more to do on the field." So please stop badmouthing ANYONE who still finds their passion and enjoyment playing music on a football field...there aren't that many of us left....

There may be hope of seeing drum corps as we know it on the big screen. There is someone with a ton of drum corps experience who just happens to work in Hollywood that's written a drum corps-centric script to hopefully be made into a major motion picture some day. Fingers crossed.