How exactly does one start a minicorps?

Does anybody know the range of size of the mini-corps that compete? I know the top limit is 21, but are there any groups that put out something like a brass quintet, a drum set player and a percussionist that are competitive/successful in the circuit?

minimun number is 11 members I think..................

For the DCA championships the Mini Corps size is 11 to 21+major.

Our ensemble brass contest have groups up to 10. We do not allow percussion with the Brass ensembles, other than possibly finger instruments. This was discussed for quite a while and it was decided that the Mini Corps caption would stay as is and so will the ensemble caption. We do not want to start a Mini Mini Corps contest.

For any questions feel free to contact me.

I would like to add that at some of the I&E shows that have started around the country they would probably allow you to enter to at least exhibit.

Edited by Rap48

tequila and jumper cables

The Ghost Riders attempted an assembly in 1995 with one rehearsal. We were birthed out of Mighty St Joes Alumni. I myself called Bob LaDuca & Larry Keppel and brainstormed the idea. Mini Corps was in it's infancy and Erie Thunderbirds were really the only game in town @ that time. They were the ones to beat. I wanted to compete again. The 3 of us called a rehearsal and we asked the 18 original "Hamburg Kingsmen" who had joined up in the MSJ Alumni Corps to participate. We did have one rehearsal that year, but with the major focus on MSJ and their appearance @ DCI finals that year, it was tabled until 1996. Originally the thought was to use only the Hamburg Kingsmen original members in the mini corps. That 1st year we competed 90% were in fact Hamburg Alumni as were the 3 original staff members.

Now to continue and compete each and every year it was inevitable our membership would have to change and be flexibly open to anyone. We have worked hard to this day and every year is a new challenge. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my co-director Rod Keppel (MCA Pressident). If it were not for Rod, we may have missed a year or only been out in 1996. He insisted we work our butts off to get the new personel needed and get it done in 1997.....we did. GR is the only corps to have competed in the past 13 DCA mini corps championships consequetively. In fact more competitions than any other mini corps in existence.

You must find people who want to work hard .... recruit....recruit....recruit. Start slow with concept, work together, one person cannot do it alone. Be careful not to get into a split over conflict's in ideas. Make sure everyone is on the same page and move forward together. Make sure you have good music people on staff. We have been lucky ..... we've had very talented arrangers and teachers working in both the brass and percussion areas. (Bob LaDuca / Associate Hall of Fame member) ; (Steve Bell / DCA judge) ; (Ronald Bowks / well know area band director & former member of the US Marine Corps Band) ; (Joey Pero / arranger & DCA receipent of soloist of the year @DCA 2x + entertainer of the year award @ DCA / Juliarrd School of Music & New England Conservatory) ; The late : Rick Rogers / Percussionist Extrodinaire with mary credits to long to list : Larry Darch / DCA Hall of fame member ; and let us not forget Donny Allen / DCA HOF Member.

We have recently teamed up with The Rochester Crusaders. Our schedules are worked out so they do not conflict. This keeps fresh blood coming into the group. You need money to pay for horns / drums / music rights / instruction staff / uniforms / travel. Area parades are our source of income, but obviously you need some seed $ to get it started. Not one challenge is greater than the next. You must want it bad .... then go get it and "Make It Happen". Good Luck in your endeavors.

Hope this helps with you question. Doug

that was very sweet of you doug

• 2 weeks later...

So...

Does anyone in the Hampton Roads area of VA feel like getting together? I just want to play again.

It's been a couple of years for me since I was in the arc and I really miss it. I just can't do the four hour drive North or South.

I can't put into words how much I miss my Carolina Gold and Bridgemen Family but I just can't do the drive anymore.

If anyone is interested, please email me.

So...

Does anyone in the Hampton Roads area of VA feel like getting together? I just want to play again.

It's been a couple of years for me since I was in the arc and I really miss it. I just can't do the four hour drive North or South.

I can't put into words how much I miss my Carolina Gold and Bridgemen Family but I just can't do the drive anymore.

If anyone is interested, please email me.

That's a great way to start. Just find a couple people close by enough that is isn't a big p.i.a. to get together, or a great expence to get started.

Also, getting together just for the sake of playing again is a great reason to do it. Find one or two like minds and then just have some fun.

Now that we've been through this a couple of years, I find that our original approach was best; finding a group, however small, that enjoy playing music together. If that attracts one or two or three more, then maybe, one day, you have a mini-corps. Until then, just have fun with the resources you have. I've been thru my phase of imagining that it could be something big, and it wasn't worth the extra hassle. So I'm back to just doing something fun and interesting with a group of friends. And we're enjoying ourselves just fine.

Good Luck!

Edited by brassomaniac

That's a great way to start. Just find a couple people close by enough that is isn't a big p.i.a. to get together, or a great expence to get started.

Also, getting together just for the sake of playing again is a great reason to do it. Find one or two like minds and then just have some fun.

Now that we've been through this a couple of years, I find that our original approach was best; finding a group, however small, that enjoy playing music together. If that attracts one or two or three more, then maybe, one day, you have a mini-corps. Until then, just have fun with the resources you have. I've been thru my phase of imagining that it could be something big, and it wasn't worth the extra hassle. So I'm back to just doing something fun and interesting with a group of friends. And we're enjoying ourselves just fine.

Good Luck!

Thanx for the well wishes. You're right, it should be fun and as simple as possible. I believe if it looks like you're having fun and you have a decent product it'll grow on it's own.

The local DCI show is usually well attended, there must be some interest in the activity.

Thanx for the well wishes. You're right, it should be fun and as simple as possible. I believe if it looks like you're having fun and you have a decent product it'll grow on it's own.

The local DCI show is usually well attended, there must be some interest in the activity.

brassomaniac had a signiture line that I loved,.........."Just Play!"