How exactly does one start a minicorps?

I tried searching through threads but I did not see anything that came up.

How do minicorps get started up?

First you find a group of very short people.....

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it. :thumbup:

First as far as recruiting hit all the local marching band shows,winter guards and winter drum line shows you can with flyers and cards.Getting your membership off the ground is your first priority.

Next establish some fundraisers for your corps to do.Locate a friendly practice facility and boom your off to the races.

Decide next what area you wish to compete in if any.DCA?MCA?

Tom Peashey should be able to get you in touch with the right people about that.

I would contact Rod Keppel at Mini Corps Associates for his advisement.

Here is their website:

http://www.minicorpsassociates.com/contact.htm

---------------------------

Public Relations

Rochester Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps

The Ghost Riders attempted an assembly in 1995 with one rehearsal. We were birthed out of Mighty St Joes Alumni. I myself called Bob LaDuca & Larry Keppel and brainstormed the idea. Mini Corps was in it's infancy and Erie Thunderbirds were really the only game in town @ that time. They were the ones to beat. I wanted to compete again. The 3 of us called a rehearsal and we asked the 18 original "Hamburg Kingsmen" who had joined up in the MSJ Alumni Corps to participate. We did have one rehearsal that year, but with the major focus on MSJ and their appearance @ DCI finals that year, it was tabled until 1996. Originally the thought was to use only the Hamburg Kingsmen original members in the mini corps. That 1st year we competed 90% were in fact Hamburg Alumni as were the 3 original staff members.

Now to continue and compete each and every year it was inevitable our membership would have to change and be flexibly open to anyone. We have worked hard to this day and every year is a new challenge. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my co-director Rod Keppel (MCA Pressident). If it were not for Rod, we may have missed a year or only been out in 1996. He insisted we work our butts off to get the new personel needed and get it done in 1997.....we did. GR is the only corps to have competed in the past 13 DCA mini corps championships consequetively. In fact more competitions than any other mini corps in existence.

You must find people who want to work hard .... recruit....recruit....recruit. Start slow with concept, work together, one person cannot do it alone. Be careful not to get into a split over conflict's in ideas. Make sure everyone is on the same page and move forward together. Make sure you have good music people on staff. We have been lucky ..... we've had very talented arrangers and teachers working in both the brass and percussion areas. (Bob LaDuca / Associate Hall of Fame member) ; (Steve Bell / DCA judge) ; (Ronald Bowks / well know area band director & former member of the US Marine Corps Band) ; (Joey Pero / arranger & DCA receipent of soloist of the year @DCA 2x + entertainer of the year award @ DCA / Juliarrd School of Music & New England Conservatory) ; The late : Rick Rogers / Percussionist Extrodinaire with mary credits to long to list : Larry Darch / DCA Hall of fame member ; and let us not forget Donny Allen / DCA HOF Member.

We have recently teamed up with The Rochester Crusaders. Our schedules are worked out so they do not conflict. This keeps fresh blood coming into the group. You need money to pay for horns / drums / music rights / instruction staff / uniforms / travel. Area parades are our source of income, but obviously you need some seed $ to get it started. Not one challenge is greater than the next. You must want it bad .... then go get it and "Make It Happen". Good Luck in your endeavors.

Hope this helps with you question. Doug

The Ghost Riders attempted an assembly in 1995 with one rehearsal. We were birthed out of Mighty St Joes Alumni. I myself called Bob LaDuca & Larry Keppel and brainstormed the idea. Mini Corps was in it's infancy and Erie Thunderbirds were really the only game in town @ that time. They were the ones to beat. I wanted to compete again. The 3 of us called a rehearsal and we asked the 18 original "Hamburg Kingsmen" who had joined up in the MSJ Alumni Corps to participate. We did have one rehearsal that year, but with the major focus on MSJ and their appearance @ DCI finals that year, it was tabled until 1996. Originally the thought was to use only the Hamburg Kingsmen original members in the mini corps. That 1st year we competed 90% were in fact Hamburg Alumni as were the 3 original staff members.

Now to continue and compete each and every year it was inevitable our membership would have to change and be flexibly open to anyone. We have worked hard to this day and every year is a new challenge. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my co-director Rod Keppel (MCA Pressident). If it were not for Rod, we may have missed a year or only been out in 1996. He insisted we work our butts off to get the new personel needed and get it done in 1997.....we did. GR is the only corps to have competed in the past 13 DCA mini corps championships consequetively. In fact more competitions than any other mini corps in existence.

You must find people who want to work hard .... recruit....recruit....recruit. Start slow with concept, work together, one person cannot do it alone. Be careful not to get into a split over conflict's in ideas. Make sure everyone is on the same page and move forward together. Make sure you have good music people on staff. We have been lucky ..... we've had very talented arrangers and teachers working in both the brass and percussion areas. (Bob LaDuca / Associate Hall of Fame member) ; (Steve Bell / DCA judge) ; (Ronald Bowks / well know area band director & former member of the US Marine Corps Band) ; (Joey Pero / arranger & DCA receipent of soloist of the year @DCA 2x + entertainer of the year award @ DCA / Juliarrd School of Music & New England Conservatory) ; The late : Rick Rogers / Percussionist Extrodinaire with mary credits to long to list : Larry Darch / DCA Hall of fame member ; and let us not forget Donny Allen / DCA HOF Member.

We have recently teamed up with The Rochester Crusaders. Our schedules are worked out so they do not conflict. This keeps fresh blood coming into the group. You need money to pay for horns / drums / music rights / instruction staff / uniforms / travel. Area parades are our source of income, but obviously you need some seed $ to get it started. Not one challenge is greater than the next. You must want it bad .... then go get it and "Make It Happen". Good Luck in your endeavors.

Hope this helps with you question. Doug

Excellent summary,................

My advise is, just like any corps, start out slow and steady..............if you plan to compete, I suggest you recruit as many members as you can, call it a drum corps, and then take the best of who can attend any particular contest..............as the Ghost Ridaers are affiliated with Cru and MSJ, you will find that most (but not all) mini corps are affiliated with larger corps in one way or another,...................

...thanks EVERYONE! That's all great advice! I guess I didnt realize that starting a minicorps was such work!

Does anybody know the range of size of the mini-corps that compete? I know the top limit is 21, but are there any groups that put out something like a brass quintet, a drum set player and a percussionist that are competitive/successful in the circuit?

What are the chances of running into another Golden Lancer Alum :blink:

Chris

Golden Lancer Baritone 1995-1996

Does anybody know the range of size of the mini-corps that compete? I know the top limit is 21, but are there any groups that put out something like a brass quintet, a drum set player and a percussionist that are competitive/successful in the circuit?

Capital Brass! regularly competes with an under-sized mini-corps. We also have quartet and quintet settings. And we usually have a brass ensemble entry (10 limit) and use from 5 to 10 people for that (depending on what the performance piece calls for).

Last year, at Garfield, we performed three times, with 7 horns. At Bridgeport we had 12 horns and a set. At MCA Albany, 14 horns and 2 percussion.

We'll go to Garfield next week with 11 total, I think (HEY, 4 more than LAST year!) ... although we have a few new and returning players who might be ready in time. We just got started again, in mid-January, so we may yet bulge out to 17 or 18 players for competition (lol)!

I guess my message is: don't be afraid to start small. If you get 4 players, write for a quartet. And then get out there and perform somewhere. If you want to compete, BHOF has added Mixed Ensemble this year. So now there is a place for brass/perc groups with under 11. Also, brass ensemble competition can be a step, until you have enough players for mini-corps.

Edited by brassomaniac