Recent Ageout looking to get back in it

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its looking like if i can make the arrangements to make it down i will be marching this summer with the Defenders Alumni. Im talking with the Director to get myself down there. Thank you all and i wish you all luck this summer.

Derek,

I hope you do march with us this year. As a longtime member of the Defenders family I can tell you this is a truly great alumni corps to march with. With nearly 60+ horn players and a growing drumline, we have a good time practcing and performing. We have full corps practice once a month with an optional brass sectional as well. Even though we would like to have everyone at every rehearsal we understand the importance of family, work and outside commitments.

We will be performing in a few parades this year, including the St Patricks Day parade in Abington, Mass on March 22nd, as well as a couple of show exhibitions and the big Plymouth show in November.

Looking forward to seeing you!!!

Phil

Derek,

I hope you do march with us this year. As a longtime member of the Defenders family I can tell you this is a truly great alumni corps to march with. With nearly 60+ horn players and a growing drumline, we have a good time practcing and performing. We have full corps practice once a month with an optional brass sectional as well. Even though we would like to have everyone at every rehearsal we understand the importance of family, work and outside commitments.

We will be performing in a few parades this year, including the St Patricks Day parade in Abington, Mass on March 22nd, as well as a couple of show exhibitions and the big Plymouth show in November.

Looking forward to seeing you!!!

Phil

Thank you so much! as long as i can find someone to hook up with for a ride part way as its a long drive to make by my lonesome im excited!

My thoughts exactly. Well, plus why is he conducting these conversations with potential corps in publc view?

Exactly, you have been a member of citations, spartans and other corps as well. How are you making a "family" out of just switching corps so many times. To me it seems as though you're turning your back on the "family" you made the year before. Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. Well, plus why is he conducting these conversations with potential corps in publc view?

You know, I haven't met him yet and hopefully will in a couple of weeks but I really see nothing wrong with it. He was told he should shop around and find the best fit for him. He came here looking to find a place to continue (since he AGED Out of Spartans last year).

I myself march with two of the Corps he was speaking with, and neither one of us is going to be "competing" against one another.

Matter of fact if you look at our Horn Lines, they have a lot of the same faces... It will make it tricky when we have appearances in the same venue, but... Heck, I personally would love to see us do a joint performance at some point....

No harm or foul from my perspective on Derek's part at all.

I find the reaction a little harsh. He is recently "aged" out and is concerned about how it will work with his family life (as I think most of us do consider when we decide to start marching again). By the way, that was the "family" he was talking about... not the Drum Corp Family, but his own family.

Sorry, but I just had to say something here. I suggest re-reading the topic to a couple of folks.

You know, I haven't met him yet and hopefully will in a couple of weeks but I really see nothing wrong with it. He was told he should shop around and find the best fit for him. He came here looking to find a place to continue (since he AGED Out of Spartans last year).

I myself march with two of the Corps he was speaking with, and neither one of us is going to be "competing" against one another.

Matter of fact if you look at our Horn Lines, they have a lot of the same faces... It will make it tricky when we have appearances in the same venue, but... Heck, I personally would love to see us do a joint performance at some point....

No harm or foul from my perspective on Derek's part at all.

I find the reaction a little harsh. He is recently "aged" out and is concerned about how it will work with his family life (as I think most of us do consider when we decide to start marching again). By the way, that was the "family" he was talking about... not the Drum Corp Family, but his own family.

Sorry, but I just had to say something here. I suggest re-reading the topic to a couple of folks.

Agreed, and my current (Alumni-type) corps was a big rival of my previous (competing) corps. :angry: Thank goodness the non-competing corps world is more supportive of each other. Westshoremen Alumni own very few horns and lot of the horns brought in by members are actually owned by other corps.

And being able to shop around in his home area for a corps is a very good thing.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Agreed, and my current (Alumni-type) corps was a big rival of my previous (competing) corps. :smile: Thank goodness the non-competing corps world is more supportive of each other. Westshoremen Alumni own very few horns and lot of the horns brought in by members are actually owned by other corps.

And being able to shop around in his home area for a corps is a very good thing.

So True , We are very lucky in the Boston area . There are three large Alumni Drum Corps ,St.Kevins Defenders & Crusaders .we all get along just fine . Hey , this is Alumni Corps ....Enjoy ! We are all a little different from each other ,but that says alot about the strength of Drum & Bugle Corps in Boston ! Its ALL good .

Mike D.